Fright night 2014 cancelled

It's a real shame there's no way of charging each person a measly quid. :(

Well maybe the police will back down with their £8000 charge. Trouble with trying to charge even £1 is that you need to segregate those who have paid from those who havent which requires paying stewards and closing off areas. Thought maybe they could do a raffle. The Op didnt say whether SCC withdrew their 20k or just wouldnt contribute more.

Fingers crossed they can sort something out.

Full details yet to be confirmed, but an alternative will be held, organised by a different company. Watch this space!

steel city ghost tours will be running something as well - usually as part of fright night, but obviously with the postponement that's not possible.

Money aside, i'd rather have Fright Night over a bike race. :(

You've never seen rubydazzler slathered in cold cream? :hihi:

I've never really understood why the council would run Fright Night or Afterdark fireworks- there's very little benefit of the town centre to be full for one night when most shops are closed.

I'd rather they spent the money on economy-boosting ALL weekend activities where people can come to the town and actually spend money.

Fright Night isn't great anyway, lets be honest. It's just a fun fair in town. If you really wanted to go to an event you've got a number of other options to choose from- but (shock horror) they'll actually CHARGE you for the privilege of getting in.

If you're not willing to pay, why should the taxpayer subsidize your night out? I don't particularly want my council tax being used to allow a bunch of your kids to wear masks while running about town for an evening. There is clearly very little economic gain for the city compared to, say, Tramlines or the DocFest- both of which appear to be much better value for future funding as they actually attract people to the city for a weekend. And also in both of those cases, the people who attend don't mind being asked to pay for some of the events.

So for once it sounds to me like the council have used their available funding properly. I applaud this sensible decision.

I've never really understood why the council would run Fright Night or Afterdark fireworks- there's very little benefit of the town centre to be full for one night when most shops are closed.

I'd rather they spent the money on economy-boosting ALL weekend activities where people can come to the town and actually spend money.

Fright Night isn't great anyway, lets be honest. It's just a fun fair in town. If you really wanted to go to an event you've got a number of other options to choose from- but (shock horror) they'll actually CHARGE you for the privilege of getting in.

If you're not willing to pay, why should the taxpayer subsidize your night out? I don't particularly want my council tax being used to allow a bunch of your kids to wear masks while running about town for an evening. There is clearly very little economic gain for the city compared to, say, Tramlines or the DocFest- both of which appear to be much better value for future funding as they actually attract people to the city for a weekend. And also in both of those cases, the people who attend don't mind being asked to pay for some of the events.

So for once it sounds to me like the council have used their available funding properly. I applaud this sensible decision.

Do you have the figures for how much each of those events cost to the Council and how much economicc benefit it brought in? I'd imagine the parents of the kids who attended would also be council tax payers.

The Tour de France coming to Sheffield will bring far more visitors, prestige, money and publicity to Sheffield than Fright Night ever will. It's a one off that will never be repeated. Your problem is that you're a moaning whinger who thinks that your own pet projects should be funded and nobody else's should. Thinking that Fright Night in any way compares to the Tour de France which is one of the biggest sporting events in the world shows how small-minded you are.

Too many 'proles' at Fright Night then?

---------- Post added 16-09-2014 at 18:41 ----------

It's a real shame there's no way of charging each person a measly quid. :(

They charged to get into the city centre for the millennium, fences up, the lot.

Do you have the figures for how much each of those events cost to the Council and how much economicc benefit it brought in? I'd imagine the parents of the kids who attended would also be council tax payers.

I haven't, but as I said in my post I'm basing this assumption on 1 night v's 2 days & nights. Also, I've read they were funded £60k a year... for what exactly? They've already said the rides and stallholders were asked to 'chip in' last year so they can't have to pay for them to turn up... Where does it all go?