Been made redundant with immediate effect.

Last week I was made redundant with immediate effect, I was told of this Friday and that was it.

They have offered me £240 redundancy pay and a months wage in lieu of working.

Thats it. No warning or anything and I am now out of a job.

18 years old and worked for them for the last 2 1/2 years after leaving school.

Can someone tell me if they have broken any laws?

4 more people were set on after me and they have kept their jobs?

Please help.

Not sure what to do now, worked solid from leaving school and I really do not want to sign on the dole.

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 11:07 ----------

ps, posting this on behalf of someone who is not on the forum.

The online calculator is here so your friend can check

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay/y

Chances are that what the company have used to calculate redundancy, but double check.

You friend needs to check his contract thoroughly, it might have different redundancy rules than just statutory pay.

If they're paying less than the contract stipulates then you have something to work with.

Judging by that calculation it appears that he has received the correct amount of redundancy pay but can they tell him friday that he is out of a job and not to bother coming in on monday without any prior notice that redundancies may be happening. Can they also tell him to come into the workplace on tuesday to discuss his redundancy even though they have made it clear he has lost his job and that the meeting is a formality. I would have thought they employers should at least give the rendunacee "some" notice that his job is in jepody and even after that some time to let the information sink in.

It all seems to have happened very quick and I am beginning to suspect unfair dismissal.

Judging by that calculation it appears that he has received the correct amount of redundancy pay but can they tell him friday that he is out of a job and not to bother coming in on monday without any prior notice that redundancies may be happening. Can they also tell him to come into the workplace on tuesday to discuss his redundancy even though they have made it clear he has lost his job and that the meeting is a formality. I would have thought they employers should at least give the rendunacee "some" notice that his job is in jepody and even after that some time to let the information sink in.

It all seems to have happened very quick and I am beginning to suspect unfair dismissal.

Yes, as they have paid him for the month in lieu of notice.

Yes, as they have paid him for the month in lieu of notice.

Does he get a chance to refuse that and work the month out hoping things will pick up. They have not made this clear to him if so and basically said, take the money and leave.

Here you go blackfoot, some info from the government website regarding redundancy notice etc.

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/notice-periods

As regards working his notice, some employers make you work it, but most don't and want you off the company premises, tell him to use that time wisely and move on.

Here you go blackfoot, some info from the government website regarding redundancy notice etc.

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/notice-periods

As regards working his notice, some employers make you work it, but most don't and want you off the company premises, tell him to use that time wisely and move on.

Thank you...

Does he get a chance to refuse that and work the month out hoping things will pick up.

I don't think so but am not certain.

Thank you...

Your welcome .... it's never nice being made redundant, but the best thing to do is get some references, see it as a new challenge and forget about the employers who have decided to let you go.

Up to this other person whether they want to fight it or not.

By that I mean whether they want to challenge what has happened. Not on the basis that they have lost their job, but that they have not followed the correct procedure. For that they will need to consider taking advice from an employment lawyer or they could try and interest the law centre in taking it on.

There you go

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_work_comes_to_an_end_e/work_redundancy_e/redundancy___procedures_your_employer_must_follow.htm

I think the issue he has is that at 18 and with the state of the current job market, he knows he is going to really struggle, he has an appointment from an apprenticeship placement on Monday so hopefully something will come of that but the wage is poor compered to what he has been earning.

I think the issue he has is that at 18 and with the state of the current job market, he knows he is going to really struggle, he has an appointment from an apprenticeship placement on Monday so hopefully something will come of that but the wage is poor compered to what he has been earning.

If he's looking to keep his job, then I would forget about that. If they want to get rid of him they will. He just has to decide whether he wants to fight for a bit more money or maybe get a better reference etc. They arent allowed to give you a bad reference, so most employers keep it factual i.e worked here betwee x and y period. He has nothing to lose by taking advice.