English eating fish

Haddock is more common is Yorkshire than boring old cod.

Now stick some bag and chittlin's up yer

Yeah, haddock is actually offered these days (was it always?), but there are plenty of other fish that would be suitable that are now cast back.

Yes, haddock has always been an alternative to cod all over the country, it's not a new thing.

Also Plaice, Skate, Scarborough Woof, Dog Fish(aka Rock Salmon), but these are more seaside things.

The vinegar has a very good purpose, it helps cut through the grease and makes it all a lot more palatable.

Also Plaice, Skate, Scarborough Woof, Dog Fish(aka Rock Salmon), but these are more seaside things.

Chip shop skate :love: It's one of the things I miss most about my Southern upbringing. Sheffield chip shops are missing a trick by not serving it.

Whiting (I think) is often used as a substitute for scampi, and cod is often substituted by Pollock as "white fish" in fish-in-sauces (parsley, white or cheese) and fish fingers.

As a Dutchman I am always rather amazed at the lack of "weird food" in Britain, the Dutch have their pickled herrings, salt liquorice, cured horsemeat on bread and so on. It could be that I got used to English food, having been with my English wife for 15 years or so now, but there is one thing I can never get over:

The most horrendous: Brits eat fish and chips, with salt (normal) and vinegar (abnormal!)!

I know people grew up with it, but does it not strike you (as an Englishman) as weird that you eat vinegar on your chips? Seriously? Vinegar is for pickling stuff...

Oh, and why insist on cod everywhere, we are emptying the North Sea faster than one can say "Eastern European", cant we just agree to eat other sorts of fish with vinegar instead? I mean the vinegar pretty much drowns out any flavour anyway?

its 35 years since I worked in the netherlands and I'm still putting mayo on my chips :hihi:I still miss the amazing pea soups you have there with the thick lumps of pork and bacon incredible with the toast'is ,"snert "i think they called it , what posh people call snot over here :hihi:

btw /but you do have an habit of putting raw onions on everything:suspect:

Edited by johncocker

Do you get tilapia? It's popular here now, nice sweet taste to it.

Anybody mentioned Kippers? Especially Kippers from Whitby...

I don't eat fish.

So what is the difference between Haddock and Cod? (I don't mean genetically).

I was sent to buy a few lots of FnC's recently, and they asked which one do you want? I didn't know, so I said which is the most popular? They said, people pick which one they like!

I didn't see any significant price difference, so I was lost.

As I say, since I don't eat fish, I could have been asked (from my perspective) which do you want, chicken or beef?

Is the difference similar? (obviously not as similar as chicken vs beef)

Yeah, haddock is actually offered these days (was it always?), but there are plenty of other fish that would be suitable that are now cast back.

But perhaps not with vinegar on

The vinegar helps with the grease. It should be non-brewed condiment, not vinegar anyway. Obviously you shouldn't use enough to pickle it.

It needs to be a fairly solid meaty fish to handle being battered, deep fried, wrapped in paper & carried home. The texture is important. Cod is perfect.

And kippers are much better than pickled herrings...

Edited by anywebsite

Anybody mentioned Kippers? Especially Kippers from Whitby...

One word, ambrosia.

I don't eat fish.

So what is the difference between Haddock and Cod? (I don't mean genetically).

Haddock smells. Ever tried cooking it at home? :gag: