Sheffield City Council to cut more front line staff

On the way home on the tram today, I heard two passengers talking, who I think worked for the Sheffield Council, something to do with the Property team. They were saying that their Senior Manager's have put together proposals to reduce a large number of their front line support staff who support various buildings within the councils control, but at the same time the 3 Senior Managers were going to be moved up a grade, resulting in £6,000 pay rise each.

Looks like more poor services to come from Sheffield City Council. I know a number of people who have received Court Summons in error because of the insufficient resources in the Council Tax Department. I recently had to ring them up and had to wait in the phone queue for 40 mins before I got to speak to someone.

Edited by Merlin123

Shouldn't come as a surprise, the lower levels get kicked long before the management. Yet 'we're all in this together'.

(and for the record I don't work for the council)

Cutbacks to the bone...sad times older people are suffering because the Top Dogs have to save money and their high salaries at the expensecof our senior citizens shocking and disgraceful.

Sounds about right.

Unfortunately some of those who work in the higher echelons of our public services think that the taxes should be spent on ridiculously high salaries for senior managers and 'Cheif Executives', whilst those on the front line bear the brunt.

It's about time there was a cull of overpaid dullards whose jobs are little more than figureheads.

Cutbacks to the bone

Nonsense. And here's why:

Chancellor hit by surprise deficit

Rising Government spending blew an unexpected hole in the public purse in July, official figures have shown.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the state had to borrow a net £488 million - the first time in three years there was a deficit rather than a surplus in July.

The public coffers usually show a surplus in July due to big tax payments by companies and individuals, but these were outstripped by an increase in spending by central government departments.

July's deficit was much worse than economists' average prediction of a £2.5 billion surplus, and they said the figures suggest Britain's improving economy has yet to boost the state's finances

LINK [August 21, 2013]

Spending is still on the rise. Plenty of scope for cuts yet.

"to the bone" indeed!

...sad times older people are suffering because the Top Dogs have to save money and their high salaries at the expensecof our senior citizens

Are all the front line staff on the Property team OAPs? Perhaps they should be offered retirement rather than redundancy?

On the way home on the tram today, I heard two passengers talking, who I think worked for the Sheffield Council, something to do with the Property team. They were saying that their Senior Manager's have put together proposals to reduce a large number of their front line support staff who support various buildings within the councils control, but at the same time the 3 Senior Managers were going to be moved up a grade, resulting in £6,000 pay rise each.

Looks like more poor services to come from Sheffield City Council. I know a number of people who have received Court Summons in error because of the insufficient resources in the Council Tax Department. I recently had to ring them up and had to wait in the phone queue for 40 mins before I got to speak to someone.

They have just published plans to shed up to another 600 jobs, workers and management, and next year won't be much different I'm afraid. Services will be cut back yet again. Cameron wont be happy until there's no public services left.

They have just published plans to shed up to another 600 jobs, workers and management, and next year won't be much different I'm afraid. Services will be cut back yet again. Cameron wont be happy until there's no public services left.

Cameron happily assured us that many thousands of jobs will be created in UK with further fracking activities.

Perhaps they should have signed up for fracking.

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 09:25 ----------

Cameron happily assured us that many thousands of jobs will be created in UK with further fracking activities.

There are already hundreds of thousands more people in work than in 2010 despite the debt legacy and massive deficit that was inherited.

Edited by Anna Glypta

I went into my local library on Tuesday and the computer monitor on the counter said Capita on the screen. It looks like the private sector are running things and making money for the shareholders just like the government wants.

Anna Glypta.

We have entered an age where machinery and computers are taking over the long long hard labour hours from the industrial ages.

What used to take many people to build a railway will now be done by a few operating some machinery.

Still politicians are talking as if labour is something just the same like it used to be one hundred years ago in a time when many people were not even connected to electricity yet.

You're not wrong there Blackbeard. Capita have their sticky fingers in all government IT projects, and have done for years.

I'd love to know how much the library machines were.

I went into my local library on Tuesday and the computer monitor on the counter said Capita on the screen. It looks like the private sector are running things and making money for the shareholders just like the government wants.

Yes. Just like these others, A4E, ATOS, G4S, etc.