Mortgage advice

Hi,

Just need some information about a remortgage please.

I need to get hold of another 5k but am not getting a loan out. I asked the bank about taking a further 5k out but they said I would need a LTV of over 80% and im under this.

I don't know anything about a remortgage can anyone fill me in some basics?

My current fixed rate finishes in 3 months so I can shop around. Going on rough estimates I have around 15% equity in my house so could I remortgage for the extra I need or does it not work like that? ( genuinely don't know)

Thanks

I think you might mean an LTV (loan to value) of under 80% rather than over. The lower it is the better and the more you borrow the higher it gets and then the risk rises (in the bank's view).

I'd recommend a chat with an independent mortgage adviser rather than one tied to your bank as they will have access to the whole market and maybe mortgages up to 90% LTV which is probably what you need. I can recommend one. If you PM me your details I'll get him to contact you.

As above you are basically just looking for another mortgage which will mean having your house valued which, together with the amount owing can be used to work out your LTV %.

Has anything else changed? Salary, improvements to your house etc..

THis could affect how much a lender will lend to you.

You can do a rough estimate of the value and get the figure owed from your current lender. then go on one of the comparison sites.

This will only be a guide and as above go and see an Independent Advisor.

Just remember, you may be charged a fee to take on a new mortgage, sometimes as much as £1000 so might make more sense taking a loan?