Giving to the homeless

I live in a nice flat in a nice street in the city centre. I was recently walking down West Street and three of the supposedly homeless people begging for spare change were my neighbours. Before you take pity on the homeless, remember some of them claim full benefits, are not homeless and are only fueling their drug addictions. I do feel sorry for the genuine homeless but in future i will only give to genuine charities.

I wonder why the OP felt the need to assert that he/she lives in a nice flat in a nice street? Very odd....

I wonder why the OP felt the need to assert that he/she lives in a nice flat in a nice street? Very odd....

Is it relevant ? I thought that the OP found out the difference between what he or she thought was a homeless person and it turned out that they are not. To be honest, the first time I found out about this, I was also shocked too. Then as I lived here longer, I know and begin to know which ones were more genuine, and is indeed homeless.

There is indeed a lot of dodgy people here in Sheffield, which I have first hand experience of. It takes a lot to step out and speak up though. Just don't let others corrupt you too is what I think.

I live in a nice flat in a nice street in the city centre. I was recently walking down West Street and three of the supposedly homeless people begging for spare change were my neighbours. Before you take pity on the homeless, remember some of them claim full benefits, are not homeless and are only fueling their drug addictions. I do feel sorry for the genuine homeless but in future i will only give to genuine charities.

I applaud your giving to charity, but personally I will not give to any charity that has a CEO on £100,000+ (check online.) There are plenty of small local charities that are really struggling and where every penny counts.

... to demonstrate that her neighbours will be living in equally nice accommodation whilst pretending to be homeless and begging?

I have 'adopted' one particular Big Issue seller. He has a regular spot which I pass often, he is always there whatever the weather. I don't buy his magazine, but I do give him a small sum, and at Christmas or New Year he gets a nice little extra amount, just to brighten his life a little. At a time when almost everyone is stuffing themselves and enjoying their Christmas presents, it doesn't seem unreasonable to spread a little comfort to others who have little.

I know there are plenty here who will say I'm a fool for being taken in, but he is the only one who gets anything from me.

is that the mediterranean looking man? He is always so polite who sells around the city hall area or near River Island? He is always there in all weathers.

is that the mediterranean looking man? He is always so polite who sells around the city hall area or near River Island? He is always there in all weathers.

No, he isn't in that area.

Back in the days when i was a student, this one homeless man was always begging outside the little tesco on west st. Everytime we went out we'd see him there.

Then one day i was at work in a petrol station in chesterfield & guess who rolled up on a new-ish moped for fuel? Lol! The bouncers on west st would always tell us that none of them were genuine, but they were making a fortune out of the students

Yes there was one con artist I remember a while ago got found out for making money this way. I've been searching for the link cant find it at the moment. So your right buying big issue would be the best solution.

Or giving material things such as food and blankets anyone who is genuine would jump at been given warmth and food.

Andre is from Eastern Europe and according to other sellers has a property there. Have always wondered why he qualifies to sell the Big Issue.

When two things are manipulated above their natural value.

One being addictive drugs, and the other being housing.

It is of no surprise to see those with addictions end up homeless.

Look at legal addictive drugs.

Compare an alcoholic and a non drinker, one is taxed heavily, the other is not.

When you consider the sheer amount of taxation, you can see why people addicted to alcohol soon end up short of money.

It doesn't make sense to fund a highly taxed addiction, when the tax is not collected locally.

It would be far better to brew and supply tax free alcohol to an addict than to give him money.

Give them homebrew instead and boost the local economy, instead of helping to facilitate money flow to central government.

Abolish alcohol tax completely and let a man earn 60 pints per hour, and for this figure to rise as brewing techniques are improved.

How many hours a week should a man work for a gallon of beer a day?

1 hour or 10 hours.

Instead of taxing alcohol at 80%+ for poor quality alcohol, and fractions of a percent for high quality wine.

Why not have an increased rate of VAT for alcohol instead?

I work in the city centre and regularly see people in the subways etc, I'm not not sure how many are genuinely homeless but find the increasing number of younger people involved concerning. I do think that there is more that could be done to provide shelter in the many empty buildings in the city and a proactive policy to help people back into mainstream society could be established. I think this would help eliminate the "fake" homeless for want of a better phrase as they would be screened out of such initiatives