Giving to the homeless

I live in a nice flat in a nice street in the city centre. I was recently walking down West Street and three of the supposedly homeless people begging for spare change were my neighbours. Before you take pity on the homeless, remember some of them claim full benefits, are not homeless and are only fueling their drug addictions. I do feel sorry for the genuine homeless but in future i will only give to genuine charities.

It is better if you buy a big issue.

It's very idiotic isn't it ? There are some genuine homeless people and you do and can see where they live and how they live. It is unfortunate that they are also at the mercy of the system in this city. I won't go into the details but, if you want to help, buying a big issue is better.

By the way, thanks for writing this post! :)

I'm surprised that anyone would be taken in by these con artists, especially those who can afford to own dogs.

If you want to give then ask if they'd like some food.

If the answer is no then you know what they want money for.

He claims some of them are his neighbours??

I assume that means they live in the flat next door??

Nice first post.

Got any proof?

How do you intend he does that on this forum?

Back in the days when i was a student, this one homeless man was always begging outside the little tesco on west st. Everytime we went out we'd see him there.

Then one day i was at work in a petrol station in chesterfield & guess who rolled up on a new-ish moped for fuel? Lol! The bouncers on west st would always tell us that none of them were genuine, but they were making a fortune out of the students

Nice first post.

Got any proof?

LOL. That's mean.. but funny. :hihi:

Still, hold onto your moral values OP. I think it is commendable. :)

How do you intend he does that on this forum?

Are you just going to take his word for it?

I know it's not quite the same, but my neighbour, 'One Tooth' (she's only got one tooth so far as I can discern, without wishing to get too close for comfort/hygiene purposes) looks very remarkably similar in appearance to a homeless person, and on top of that, she's got not a scraggy dog, but a mangy budgie (which is competing quite competitively with its masters tooth count by having a similar amount of feathers).

I'm just wondering if I should prod her/it (and the budgie) in the general direction of the O/P's on West Street to meet their neighbours, not only as a gesture of caring on my behalf (because that would be a lie), but more to get her/it (and the budgie) out of her house so as to be able to allow me to fumigate it with a gallon of four star and a box of matches?