Is it about time parents agreed to MMR?

why should a parent be forced to have their child vaccinated?

To prevent herd immunity dropping below a given level which would ensure the endemic status of the disease involved.

We'll be refusing smallpox injections next...

Trouble is, its not the researchers or the drugs companies or the government ministers or the doctors who have to look after the poor child who goes on to become autistic after receiving the MMR jab - it's that child's FAMILY, who are left with the life-long burden of caring for and coping with that child.

It's very easy for someone to say the MMR vaccine is perfectly safe, when there is no danger that they will have to pick up any pieces.

StarSparkle

It's very easy for someone to say the MMR vaccine is perfectly safe, when there is no danger that they will have to pick up any pieces.

StarSparkle

Well, there is a danger I might have to pick up the pieces, and both of my children will be/have been vaccinated with MMR.

The risk from it is much, much smaller than the risk of remaining unimmunized....

Children acquire autistic spectrum disorders anyway.... MMR does not increase the risk in any measurable way whatsoever.

Well, there is a danger I might have to pick up the pieces, and both of my children will be/have been vaccinated with MMR.

The risk from it is much, much smaller than the risk of remaining unimmunized....

Children acquire autistic spectrum disorders anyway.... MMR does not increase the risk in any measurable way whatsoever.

I disagree with you.

I doubt you would be that laissez-faire about the 'small risk' associated with the MMR if you understood the reality of life trying to cope with Autism.

I think it would be madness to vaccinate a child with MMR if there is ANY trace of Autism in their family history.

In my opinion, the government has a DUTY to offer separate injections for these particular children - and any suggestion of forcing the MMR onto these children is just plain wicked.

StarSparkle

I disagree with you.

I doubt you would be that laissez-faire about the 'small risk' associated with the MMR if you understood the reality of life trying to cope with Autism.

I think it would be madness to vaccinate a child with MMR if there is ANY trace of Autism in their family history.

In my opinion, the government has a DUTY to offer separate injections for these particular children - and any suggestion of forcing the MMR onto these children is just plain wicked.

StarSparkle

My intention isn't to argue over the issue; I've already stated my own views and provided links to some information about them.

I am genuinely curious though as to why people continue to believe that evidence exists to support the link between autism and MMR. Where do you look to for the evidence to support your views?

My intention isn't to argue over the issue; I've already stated my own views and provided links to some information about them.

I am genuinely curious though as to why people continue to believe that evidence exists to support the link between autism and MMR. Where do you look to for the evidence to support your views?

I'm afraid I have very little faith in the word of so-called 'experts' in matters of health, especially government experts who have a government agenda to support. So many times what has been said to the public has turned out to be Wrong; Incorrect; Misleading; call it what you will. Researchers can argue till the cows come home over what the 'results' of studies actually prove. Statistics can be made to appear to prove anything. Stick to the party line is the rule if you want to keep getting your research funded by the government.

I refuse to put any child of mine's future in danger by exposing them to something I believe would harm them. I don't care what the government 'claims' - I simply don't believe them.

StarSparkle

I'm afraid I have very little faith in the word of so-called 'experts' in matters of health, especially government experts who have a government agenda to support. So many times what has been said to the public has turned out to be Wrong; Incorrect; Misleading; call it what you will. Researchers can argue till the cows come home over what the 'results' of studies actually prove. Statistics can be made to appear to prove anything. Stick to the party line is the rule if you want to keep getting your research funded by the government.

I refuse to put any child of mine's future in danger by exposing them to something I believe would harm them. I don't care what the government 'claims' - I simply don't believe them.

StarSparkle

So you don't believe the evidence because it comes from the government, and from research supported by government money? If you don't believe the medical and scientific experts in matters of health and medicine, from what source do you get the information about these issues? What would be a trusted source of health and medical information?

StarSparkle

Will you have them innoculated against anything at all?

So you don't believe the evidence because it comes from the government, and from research supported by government money? If you don't believe the medical and scientific experts in matters of health and medicine, from what source do you get the information about these issues? What would be a trusted source of health and medical information?

I don't blindly believe any source of information about health matters. If a health issue is of concern/interest to me, I gather information on it from a number of sources, and then make up my own mind (as a highly intelligent and well-educated person) as to what I believe.

My opinion over the years regarding the MMR vaccine - and I have been following this issue for a number of years now - is that it could encourage Autism to develop in vulnerable children who have a family history of this condition.

In my opinion, there is certainly enough concern about a connection to justify vulnerable children receiving each injection separately, rather than in one fell swoop with the MMR.

The country can find money readily enough for all sorts of ridiculous projects/wars - it would be nice to think the government cared enough about its people to spare a bit of extra money to safeguard the future health of its children and their families.

StarSparkle

I don't blindly believe any source of information about health matters. If a health issue is of concern/interest to me, I gather information on it from a number of sources, and then make up my own mind (as a highly intelligent and well-educated person) as to what I believe...

I'm sure you are, and I don't believe that anyone blindly believes any source of information. In most issues though, don't we tend to go to those who have experience and expertise in whatever the issue is? I just wondered what your sources of information were to enable you to come to the conclusions that you have.

I'm sure you are, and I don't believe that anyone blindly believes any source of information. In most issues though, don't we tend to go to those who have experience and expertise in whatever the issue is? I just wondered what your sources of information were to enable you to come to the conclusions that you have.

There is no point in carrying on with this, PPN_2204. We could ping-pong backwards and forwards for hours/days and neither of us will change our opinion one iota.

You clearly believe government scientists; I, on the other hand, mistrust them, feeling as I do they are more interested in saying what the government wants them to say, rather than what the truth might be, if the truth's inconvenient for the government.

I have taken an interest in Autism research for probably around 10 years now, and I simply cannot remember all the sources of information I have read. All I can say is that I have formed the opinion that the MMR jab is unsafe to use on vulnerable children.

If there is ANY DOUBT as to whether the MMR is safe, that is surely cause for concern? Developing Autism is not like catching a cold - the child will never recover. That is their life destroyed, and the lives of their family members seriously damaged.

If a parent is concerned about their child receiving the MMR, why can the NHS not just give the child each injection separately? Where is the problem here? Cost? The government can find the money for what it wants to find the money for - that is not an issue.

I am prepared to believe the MMR vaccine is probably safe for the vast majority of children - but for those who are vulnerable to Autism, the MMR jab could be a life sentence.

That's all I have to say. Take the last word if you want, PPN_2204, it really doesn't matter.

StarSparkle

The point is that the research is not independent so how can you fully trust the findings when the money that has funded it has a vested interest. You can't.

Only when scientific research is independent of the drug companies who stand to make zillions out of vaccine sales and the government who would be in a hell of a mess financially if a link were proven can it be trusted.