Lowedges gigantic festival sun aug 10th 2014

I can't see any of your pictures, just tells me that the link is broken.

Quite honestly, I expected there to be not much turn out. When I've run stalls previously, as part of a charity, we've taken around £30. £30 is £30 we didn't have at the start of the day, however I'm not sure it's worth cold, wind, wet for five hours - and probably much, much less than that! I'm sure lots of stallholders will have thought the same - better to take the loss on their booking fee than a bigger loss by setting up & not much business.

Moan all you like, but stallholders are not under a contractual agreement to turn up (they'll just lose their fee if they don't).

I genuinely can't blame anyone for not attending - stallholders or visitors.

Next year will be as fabulous as previously - assuming there are no hurricane Berthas!

Lets hope the organisers and council take into consideration the folk who did and didn't meet their obligation when it comes to future events.

I've done contract work for the council and you need to get on an approved contractors list. If you get removed from it there is a devil of a job getting back on.

staffy "attack dogs"

you been watching to much tv lol

It's the status symbol of many Lowedges residents.

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 21:52 ----------

Lets hope the organisers and council take into consideration the folk who did and didn't meet their obligation when it comes to future events.

I've done contract work for the council and you need to get on an approved contractors list. If you get removed from it there is a devil of a job getting back on.

You're getting a bit of a bashing here but you make a very valid point.

The Lowedges Festival gets funding, hence why it is free. Many of the stalls or exhibits receive a payment.

Now the issue here is if people who got paid didn't show up.

Or they just didn't turn up and won't get paid, meaning the festival still has the money.

Or the stalls were just private people / companies, who should have paid on the day but didn't bother to show up.

The Lowedges Festival gets funding, hence why it is free. Many of the stalls or exhibits receive a payment.

Or they just didn't turn up and won't get paid, meaning the festival still has the money.

Or the stalls were just private people / companies, who should have paid on the day but didn't bother to show up.

I suppose it sheds light on why Sheffield Half Marathon had no water. If folk don't turn up to provide the service they contracted to provide. Whoever was supplying the beer tent for the festival didn't show. Someone else could have provided a beer tent but it was already contracted to the person who didn't show hence no beer tent. Perhaps they need to contract the beer tent to someone who shows up.

You have to pay in advance regardless of whether you're commercial or not for profit.

Why don't we just settle with - thanks for making the effort. Not much we can do about it now.

thanks for that firstly if we cancelled most wanted payment,we could not claim anything on insurance as the ground was solid,most of the rides ect came on the Saturday and there is little difference at that stage cost wise whether they go home without setting up or carry on,the sheep show did 2 shows ,the falconry show went on,various kids stuff inc the fantastic carousel all free,the slide and the re-enactment could not set up but were there ,the wrestling went ahead,the music stage was set up but the bands were working for free did not turn up,re-the stalls they had paid but chose not to come,same as several other things,but our costs were 95% the same so 1 bad year after 5 good ones sorry but we live in England,but we will continue to work free and do our best in 2015 thanks

I think some people seem to have the idea that the council have a lot to do with the organisation (I dont think they do). Regarding the NO shows, if people are willing to lose the money that they have paid for their stalls instead of turning up and getting soaked for nothing I think that is up to them.

I think some people seem to have the idea that the council have a lot to do with the organisation (I dont think they do). Regarding the NO shows, if people are willing to lose the money that they have paid for their stalls instead of turning up and getting soaked for nothing I think that is up to them.

I don't think that is the case at all. The council certainly put a large amount of cash towards this event because it was in a deprived area. Many of the rides were billed as free because the council had paid for them to be so. So when you turn up and there is virtually nothing there you start to wonder.

Similarly with the stalls. If someone is to provide a beer tent thatis all well and good. They don't want to arrive to find 6 other beer tents, so if they are given an exclusive deal then it should be necessary for them to turn up regardless of the weather.

Perhaps if the event is held next year the organisers need to ensure that folk who are there to provide a service are required to turn up and provide it. Otherwise they should book duplicates to ensure that there is something for the spectators who took the time, trouble and expense to attend.

As someone who has been in the position of organising events in the community I have to say that I'd like to give 100% support to Basset One and the team who organise the festival for their enormous efforts. These people work tirelessly to give the locals a good day out and their efforts are incredible - Basset One is a credit to his community and his dedication is faultless. Not only does this person give his time and enthusiasm to this event he is also a staunch supporter of other local events - and he is never short of a word of encouragement or praise to other local organisers (myself included). No-one can plan for the weather, so let's just thank everyone for the past successes and pass on our encouragement to Basset One and the guys for the future..rather than worrying about one bad year which was no-ones fault.

Could not agree more.

Could not agree more.

Times that by two.

It must have been heart rending for all concerned after the hard work put in by everyone over the previous year.

please note the council do not pay towards this event except to provide advice and 4 litter bins via the parks dept,all acts rides ect had and were paid on the day,all turned up but some could not perform due to the weather,our money comes via donations that all festivals can bid for,and money from the stall bookings,we don't make a profit and if theres any money left its carried over,but never much,we are all volunteers no wages,we have obtained a small lottery grant for basics for 2015,re-the beer tent we have never had one thanks

please note the council do not pay towards this event except to provide advice and 4 litter bins via the parks dept,all acts rides ect had and were paid on the day,all turned up but some could not perform due to the weather,our money comes via donations that all festivals can bid for,and money from the stall bookings,we don't make a profit and if theres any money left its carried over,but never much,we are all volunteers no wages,we have obtained a small lottery grant for basics for 2015,re-the beer tent we have never had one thanks

Keep up the good work Bassett One, this must be the best free to enter show in the Sheffield area. I do not know you but I can tell by your comments on here that you are passionate about this event.