Lowedges gigantic festival sun aug 10th 2014

Great, looks like the rain will slow down a bit later to odd showers.

Just come off site for lunch , very quiet real shame after all work people have put in.

It really is a shame, we turned up with the ferrets at 10 but with the weather there really was nothing much else where we were, and by 10.45 we realised that it just wasn't happening, there was no one coming for the ferret show and we would have made nothing in our collection for Rainrescue so in the end we reluctantly went home :(

I feel so sorry for the organiser's they had put in so much hard work, planning and not to mention the expense of it all...flippin British weather! :(

So sorry we did not get there with our car yesterday but at the time I planned to leave it was bouncing down and did not look like stopping.

I feel really sorry for all the work and planning that you have all put in (been there & done it). it can only be better next year.

We were very disappointed. We made the effort to attend but the stallholders didn't. The 100 metre row of classic cars had 4 exhibits and one of those was a wreck. We bought food from 2 of the half dozen stall that were there. It took 10 minutes to see everything that was available and then cleared off. There were just rows and rows of pegged out pitches with nothing on them.

This is a chicken and egg thing. If the exhibitors can't be bothered turning up there isn't really much incentive for the punters that do turn up to hang around, and even less incentive for them to make the effort in future.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201340309868233&set=a.3914627282632.1073741825.1787963538&type=1&theater

You might need to log on to Facebook to see the photo.. Not sure.

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 16:05 ----------

Just come off site for lunch , very quiet real shame after all work people have put in.

We liked your bus by the way.

Edited by Emily Moore

it was not all doom /gloom the carousel was well used,it brightened up and the the Norfolk sheep show had 2 shows,the falconry did a show,so did the wrestling,the funfair was open,the laser quest did well,so did swfc on the mugga,the stalls that did come and stayed reported they did well considering the weather,but its not my fault we had a horrid day weather wise,but we did our best in difficult circumstances,we have another huge event planned and in place for august 9th 2015 with a big lottery bid already passed so its guaranteed to be bigger than ever,with a few big suprises to ensure its kept fresh and different,we did our best,our tenants hall area as it was indoors did the best ever,i wish to thank you all that attended and hope to see everything back to normal weather wise and hope the American weather doesn't upset our plans,back to the drawing board and I will announce whats on in jan,thanks to all of you

it was not all doom /gloom the carousel was well used,it brightened up and the the Norfolk sheep show had 2 shows,the falconry did a show,so did the wrestling,the funfair was open,the laser quest did well,so did swfc on the mugga,the stalls that did come and stayed reported they did well considering the weather,but its not my fault we had a horrid day weather wise,but we did our best in difficult circumstances,we have another huge event planned and in place for august 9th 2015 with a big lottery bid already passed so its guaranteed to be bigger than ever,with a few big suprises to ensure its kept fresh and different,we did our best,our tenants hall area as it was indoors did the best ever,i wish to thank you all that attended and hope to see everything back to normal weather wise and hope the American weather doesn't upset our plans,back to the drawing board and I will announce whats on in jan,thanks to all of you

I'm not surprised the stalls that turned up did well. There were so few of them that the visitors who turned up didn't have too many options. You bought a foot long hot dog, a cake from the Russian baker, or the jerk chicken. That was about the total of the options. I didn't have a beer because I didn't find the beer tent. I watched 2 minutes of wrestling but then got intimidated by the amount of staffy "attack dogs" which seemed to outnumber stalls. So after half an hour we were gone.

I know the weather didn't help, but there should have been something for the folk who braved the elements to support the event.

staffy "attack dogs"

you been watching to much tv lol

I'm not surprised the stalls that turned up did well. There were so few of them that the visitors who turned up didn't have too many options. You bought a foot long hot dog, a cake from the Russian baker, or the jerk chicken. That was about the total of the options. I didn't have a beer because I didn't find the beer tent. I watched 2 minutes of wrestling but then got intimidated by the amount of staffy "attack dogs" which seemed to outnumber stalls. So after half an hour we were gone.

I know the weather didn't help, but there should have been something for the folk who braved the elements to support the event.

Yes of course.... Because the huge, beautiful, open, green space has a huge amount of indoor options....

I didn't go a) as a stallholder (I didn't book this year) and b) as a visitor. If I did have a stall booked I doubt I would have turned up. The weather was beyond 'a bit of rain', I was surprised it wasn't called off (but well done for keeping it on) and I didn't fancy walking through mud, wind and rain as a visitor. My friend who has children and normally goes also didn't attend as she knew her children would be grumpy due to the wet and cold!

Huge music festivals have been called off due to adverse weather before - they can't provide alternatives for those who still turned up. Unfortunately it's 'one of those things' - extremely frustrating for all those involved in organising, stallholders included - but really nothing they can do about it!

I think it's the first year since Lowedges Festival started that the weather has been that bad.

We were very disappointed. We made the effort to attend but the stallholders didn't. The 100 metre row of classic cars had 4 exhibits and one of those was a wreck. We bought food from 2 of the half dozen stall that were there. It took 10 minutes to see everything that was available and then cleared off. There were just rows and rows of pegged out pitches with nothing on them.

This is a chicken and egg thing. If the exhibitors can't be bothered turning up there isn't really much incentive for the punters that do turn up to hang around, and even less incentive for them to make the effort in future.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201340309868233&set=a.3914627282632.1073741825.1787963538&type=1&theater

You might need to log on to Facebook to see the photo.. Not sure.

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 16:05 ----------

We liked your bus by the way.

Are you for real? Is not really much effort to attend a free festival. Maybe think how disappointed the organisers would have been who actually put effort in to sort out this free festival out, to face some rather extreme weather.

Maybe you should put some actually effort in and contribute something to the festival next year instead of whinging that you think others didnt.

Are you for real? Is not really much effort to attend a free festival. Maybe think how disappointed the organisers would have been who actually put effort in to sort out this free festival out, to face some rather extreme weather.

Maybe you should put some actually effort in and contribute something to the festival next year instead of whinging that you think others didnt.

yes its still on

Well actually we put quite a lot of effort into going to the festival and drove rather a long way to get there. Yes the organisers put in a lot of effort too.

What a pity a few more of those who had stalls booked didn't make the same effort. Had there been a few more of them we would have stayed rather longer and spent rather more money, but you can't buy what isn't there.

Actually by early afternoon the weather wasn't bad at all. But that's not really much use if you are in an empty field.

Here's a picture of the Gigantic festival.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201340311788281&set=a.3914627282632.1073741825.1787963538&type=1&theater

The stalls are those things you can see in the distance.

Here's another of the classic cars.

Edited by Emily Moore

I can't see any of your pictures, just tells me that the link is broken.

Quite honestly, I expected there to be not much turn out. When I've run stalls previously, as part of a charity, we've taken around £30. £30 is £30 we didn't have at the start of the day, however I'm not sure it's worth cold, wind, wet for five hours - and probably much, much less than that! I'm sure lots of stallholders will have thought the same - better to take the loss on their booking fee than a bigger loss by setting up & not much business.

Moan all you like, but stallholders are not under a contractual agreement to turn up (they'll just lose their fee if they don't).

I genuinely can't blame anyone for not attending - stallholders or visitors.

Next year will be as fabulous as previously - assuming there are no hurricane Berthas!