OAP pass, getting out and about/potential cuts

Managed my first trip to fox house and a nice walk back via Ringinglow!

I've actually spent more on public transport now I've got my bus pass than I did before, making day trips out and visiting relatives.

It's also valid on the Tram from 0900 for some reason

....and if you use it before 0900 on the tram or 0930 on the bus you are known as a 'Twirly' (too early) and have to pay the full price

This throws up an interesting point abet - If the timetable says the bus arrives at 9.32 but is early and arrives at 9.29 - would you still have to pay, can you demand the driver stays put until the timetable is meet and you can get on for free, or would you just hop on and neither you or the driver has a problem?

I've actually spent more on public transport now I've got my bus pass than I did before, making day trips out and visiting relatives.

Using public transport efficiently is a skill. Internet is extremely helpful.

I take it not by free choice but because my only other option would be a chauffeur driven car.

Mick sage, that is a great walk. You are ever so right to stop going circular now. I know so many of such walks around Sheffield, could write a book about it.

Lets continue sharing suggestions here. Yesterday I went Lodge moor down rivelin valley to malin bridge.

This throws up an interesting point abet - If the timetable says the bus arrives at 9.32 but is early and arrives at 9.29 - would you still have to pay, can you demand the driver stays put until the timetable is meet and you can get on for free, or would you just hop on and neither you or the driver has a problem?

Travel validity on the pass is based on the time you are actually boarding the bus or the tram (though practically with the tram it'll be the time you interact with the conductor, which will be somewhat later in most cases).

With trains it's different, being the time the train is scheduled to depart.

In either case, the time the vehicle reaches the boundary is irrelevant. If you board in SY after 0900 you can travel free into Derbyshire even if it's before 0930 when you reach the boundary. SYPTE is paying for the trip so Derbyshire's rules don't apply. They will apply on the return trip, though.

How have you spent more? Keep forgetting your pass or do you get up too early!

---------- Post added 27-01-2014 at 17:31 ----------

Using public transport efficiently is a skill. Internet is extremely helpful.

I take it not by free choice but because my only other option would be a chauffeur driven car.

Mick sage, that is a great walk. You are ever so right to stop going circular now. I know so many of such walks around Sheffield, could write a book about it.

Lets continue sharing suggestions here. Yesterday I went Lodge moor down rivelin valley to malin bridge.

Tidy walk nice one

There was a lovely story a few years ago about a small group of pensioners that travelled the length and breadth of the UK on buses for free using their passes having booked accommodation in advance at friend's houses, etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10232924/Pensioners-travel-length-of-Britain-for-free-using-bus-passes.html

This wasn't the story I was thinking of but if works just as well.

There was a lovely story a few years ago about a small group of pensioners that travelled the length and breadth of the UK on buses for free using their passes having booked accommodation in advance at friend's houses, etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10232924/Pensioners-travel-length-of-Britain-for-free-using-bus-passes.html

This wasn't the story I was thinking of but if works just as well.

That journey they took was very slow and they made short distances at a time to take lots of time in between to look around.

I often use my disability pass for far greater distances much faster than these pensioners did on that journey.

How have you spent more? Keep forgetting your pass or do you get up too early!.......

Like I said in my post "making day trips out and visiting relatives. "

Trips I would not have otherwise made.

Before the sceme came in I did a planning exercise to see if you could get to London on a pass. Think it took 14 hours and. Thirteen buses. The times were put on this forum st the time I understand that someone on this forum did do it a few times. The problem is that it canbe difficult getting times as the great British bus timers me is no longer published.

Before the sceme came in I did a planning exercise to see if you could get to London on a pass. Think it took 14 hours and. Thirteen buses. The times were put on this forum st the time I understand that someone on this forum did do it a few times. The problem is that it canbe difficult getting times as the great British bus timers me is no longer published.

it is all in the journey planner at http://www.transportdirect.info though....