Horseradish root

Did you watch Saturday Kitchen this morning by any chance? The ox cheeks dish looked very good.

I'd already bought the ox cheeks and then saw that they'd be on the programme this morning so did indeed watch it. Got the cheeks from Chris Beech, where else, just under a kilo for £3.80. Bargain.

I'm planning a variation on this recipe.

I'd already bought the ox cheeks and then saw that they'd be on the programme this morning so did indeed watch it. Got the cheeks from Chris Beech, where else, just under a kilo for £3.80. Bargain.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go and let you know what I think.

I live in London and from time to time, fresh horseradish root goes on sale in my local Morrison's - then it disappears for months on end. Very frustrating, because I love fresh, home-made horseradish sauce. The stuff you can buy in jars in supermarkets bears no resemblance. I might be wrong, but I've never heard of horseradish being used as a common ingredient in any ethnic cuisine other than British. Most people associate it with roast beef, but it's fab with oily fish too - especially mackerel - and delicious mixed into mashed potato

When we were kids in Sheff 6, my dad and/or grandad used to gather the wild horseradish roots, peel and grate them then mix with a bit of sugar and vinegar. The roots were difficult to dig up - long, strong thin roots that grow vertically down into the ground - you need a strong spade and sometimes have to gig about a foot down to get the whole root out intact.

Preparing home made horseradish sauce is not for the faint-hearted either! The fumes are about a million times stronger than the strongest onions when you're grating it , your eyes water and really swell up, your nose runs like a tap. My old dad used to don motorbike goggles and tie a handkerchief "bandit-style" round his face to cover his nose and mouth when grating fresh hoseradish root. We used to laugh at him, but the first time I ever grated it myself without protecting my eyes, nose and mouth, my face ended up looking like I'd just done six rounds with Mike Tyson! You live and you learn, eh?

:D

Now THAT is something I'm going to have to try

I live in London and from time to time, fresh horseradish root goes on sale in my local Morrison's - then it disappears for months on end. Very frustrating, because I love fresh, home-made horseradish sauce. The stuff you can buy in jars in supermarkets bears no resemblance. I might be wrong, but I've never heard of horseradish being used as a common ingredient in any ethnic cuisine other than British. Most people associate it with roast beef, but it's fab with oily fish too - especially mackerel - and delicious mixed into mashed potato

When we were kids in Sheff 6, my dad and/or grandad used to gather the wild horseradish roots, peel and grate them then mix with a bit of sugar and vinegar. The roots were difficult to dig up - long, strong thin roots that grow vertically down into the ground - you need a strong spade and sometimes have to gig about a foot down to get the whole root out intact.

Preparing home made horseradish sauce is not for the faint-hearted either! The fumes are about a million times stronger than the strongest onions when you're grating it , your eyes water and really swell up, your nose runs like a tap. My old dad used to don motorbike goggles and tie a handkerchief "bandit-style" round his face to cover his nose and mouth when grating fresh hoseradish root. We used to laugh at him, but the first time I ever grated it myself without protecting my eyes, nose and mouth, my face ended up looking like I'd just done six rounds with Mike Tyson! You live and you learn, eh?

:D

I'm using horseradish in a juice that recommends it for chronic sinus problems, it certainly worked for hubby last night. He said it was the best nights sleep he has had in years. Mine too didn't hear his tickly cough once. I followed your advice and wrapped a scarfe round my nose and mouth when preparing it.:D

Edited by lily may

In fact difficult to stop it spreading as it's quite invasive.

I wonder if I actually have some in my jungle. :hihi:

I saw the photo and it looks similar to something I have there.

It's funny, reading this thread reminded me of the feeling of a dish I had a long time ago which had fresh horseradish on it. I just remember the distinctive heat. Which is surprising to bought jar stuff for sure.

Hm.. certainly got me thinking. :)

In fact the Japanese use horseradish for wasabi. The real wasabi (Japanese Horseradish) is so expensive that any powdered Wasabi you buy is mostly European Horseradish. I just checked the tin in our kitchen (Japanese made) and it's only 10% actual wasabi, the rest being mustard and horseradish.

I believe the active ingredient is the same and like mustard powder it needs to be mixed fresh with some warm water shortly before use.

Edited by Nagel

I've never heard of horseradish being used as a common ingredient in any ethnic cuisine other than British.

Apparently the Poles use it a lot too.

I used about a third of my horseradish root in a mash with one whole celeriac and a medium sized spud.

TBH I could have done with adding more horseradish. There wasn't the big kick I expected after reading people's stories of streaming eyes and blistered hands.

It did take a bit of effort to grate, it tended to shred and break into chunks rather than evenly grate.

I've frozen the other two thirds for future use.

Freezing it makes it easier to both peel and grate!

Raw Horseradish is usually available in Beanies. In the fridge in the veg room - staff will cut you a piece as big or as small as you like? Hot stuff!:gag: