Page Hall Landlords must register for new license

28 grand....not take you long to turn a profit at those prices....was better when you could pick up a nice terrace for 11 grand though....a nice little pension...

problems is .... no good tenants are wanting to live in the area.... quite a few are now "tinned up" the ball is rolling ........

problems is .... no good tenants are wanting to live in the area.... quite a few are now "tinned up" the ball is rolling ........

and there is supposed to be a shortage of houses.....no need to build anymore then if these are empty....

So it's quite a surprise that you're not in favour of speed cameras

You can add car parks to that.

Anything that costs him money which goes to the council he's against. He recently accused SCC of accountancy fraud on this very forum. Strange how quiet he went in the thread after he was pulled up on it . . .

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 08:53 ----------

Sheff Concil should compulsery purchase the whole area. Pay landlords going rate and then everybodys happy. Rouge landlords houses should be compulsery purchased on 3 strikes and youre out rate anyway. [3 warnings ] The new systymn has not been thaught through and lots of innocent tenants are going to suffer. What a mess. Bet most landlords in this area would happily take £30.000 per dwelling and get rid of there problem. Rouge landlords will not register anyway why would they .

SCC should take the bad landlords to court and SEIZE the properties, giving the landlord not a single penny.

Well it looks like we are finally having selective licencing for landlords in Page Hall.

We don't like landlords so its all good. Will help sort out the problems in Page Hall. (these are tongue in cheek comments please don't quote me )

There is a 75 page report on the Council website on the selective licensing proposal to be agreed in a Cabinet meeting on the 15th Jan (next week) at 2pm.

Well this is what I understood once I finally finished reading the report.

1) Any couple with 3 children (above the age of 1) living in Page Hall in a two bedroom house will need to be evicted by the landlord as a condition of the licence (only a max of 4 people are allowed). Therefore if there is an unexpected pregnancy for a family of 4 in a 2 bedroom home, it's eviction time I'm afraid otherwise the landlord is in breach of his licence and risks a major fine. This means family members cannot come over to stay over during holidays and Christmas if the total number exceeds 4.

2) The report mentioned 2 references are required stating an individual has held a tenancy before and not broken any conditions can live in the area. Only person that can provide such a reference is a previous landlord and you need two references. Therefore how will the next generation of renters be able to move out of their family home and move into the area ?

3) The people that don't live in Page Hall are impacted too..... the report states the Council has made many assumptions and therefore there is a level of financial risk to the Council. If true this could then hurt budgets allocated to other areas in Sheffield as ultimately bills have to be paid. As an aside I understand approx £145000 funding has already been allocated to support this scheme.

4) In my view we might just end up with loads of empty homes on those streets that may need to get brought out by the Council who may then decide to knock them down..but in doing so would be compelled to buy the remaining properties that belong to local residents living there as well.

So what starts as a scheme to bring landlords into shape suddenly starts to affect us all whether we have links with Page Hall or not.

Yes the main streets that are affected are the ones the council wanted to demolish about 12 yrs ago.

so why have the council left these house's and not demolished them 12 years ago ??

so why have the council left these house's and not demolished them 12 years ago ??

It's a long story...

...so here goes:

The council had plans to demolish hundreds of those tiny, old, two-bedroomed terraced houses in the Fir Vale and Page Hall areas and replace them with a smaller number of newer, energy-efficient three and four bedroomed homes.

The main sticking point with this plan is that because less new homes would be built than were knocked down, some families would have to move out of the the Fir Vale and Page Hall area and the community didn't want that - they wanted to remain in the area.

So the plan couldn't proceed, because you can't knock down several hundred small two-bedroom terraces and build a similar number of 3 and 4 bedroom homes with drives and front & rear gardens in the same place, can you?

In the end, the council had just managed to empty and knock down Skinnerthorpe Road and the surrounding streets before the recession struck, the council ran out of money and the project stagnated.

I strongly doubt the situation is going to improve in the next few years. The last I heard, just before Christmas, is that the council were going to build a new school in the Skinnerthorpe Road area, to accomodate the growing number of young children who've born in Page Hall.

It's a long story...

...so here goes:

The council had plans to demolish hundreds of those tiny, old, two-bedroomed terraced houses in the Fir Vale and Page Hall areas and replace them with a smaller number of newer, energy-efficient three and four bedroomed homes.

The main sticking point with this plan is that because less new homes would be built than were knocked down, some families would have to move out of the the Fir Vale and Page Hall area and the community didn't want that - they wanted to remain in the area.

So the plan couldn't proceed, because you can't knock down several hundred small two-bedroom terraces and build a similar number of 3 and 4 bedroom homes with drives and front & rear gardens in the same place, can you?

In the end, the council had just managed to empty and knock down Skinnerthorpe Road and the surrounding streets before the recession struck, the council ran out of money and the project stagnated.

I strongly doubt the situation is going to improve in the next few years. The last I heard, just before Christmas, is that the council were going to build a new school in the Skinnerthorpe Road area, to accomodate the growing number of young children who've born in Page Hall.

http://www.oasisacadameyfirvale.org. Due to open Semptember 2014.

It wasn't the Council that was going to build hundreds of new homes. The Council was to buy up lots of privately-owned homes as well as their own housing stock, using money from the Housing Market Renewal fund, then demolish them and then hand over the land to private developers at a low (or even negligible) price.

The Council did knock down hundreds of homes - resulting in widespread breakdown of communities. But the private sector wasn't interested and the land has mostly remained empty ever since.

---------- Post added 12-01-2014 at 23:21 ----------

The Council did knock down hundreds of homes - resulting in widespread breakdown of communities. But the private sector wasn't interested and the land has mostly remained empty ever since.

Just out - some years later, Arches Housing Association plans to build some more:

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org/archives/january-2014-news/new-housing-on-catherine-street-plans-released/

mind you, only a few out of the many hundreds demolished.

the compulsery purchase thing has already been spoke about at rotherham council for eastwood ...upto now ...its not going to happen.

rotherham council tried to purchase a row of terraced houses at dalton. they wanted to demolish them to build a bus lane of all things. one man held them off by going to the EU court and winning his case. ONE OF THE FEW THINGS I WOULD THANK THE EU COURTS FOR. he is still there now in his home. the bus lane was made right up to this last house standing, then abandoned. the rest of the row was demolished instead of being returned to its former owners. rotherham council have made this man's life hell and he cannot sell his house now he wants to. top marks to him for standing up to them.

i will ban bus lanes, gates, etc,. bus passengers have no right to get somewhere quicker at the expense of everyone else. a council somewhere (i forget) has already taken the lead in removing them. BRAVO! ABOUT TIME TOO!

i will ban bus lanes, gates, etc,. bus passengers have no right to get somewhere quicker at the expense of everyone else. a council somewhere (i forget) has already taken the lead in removing them. BRAVO! ABOUT TIME TOO!

Who died and made you leader of the council / country / EU / the world :huh:

Who died and made you leader of the council / country / EU / the world :huh:

lots of people who have committed suicide because having lived in the same place for years/decades they have been forced to move by the so-called bedroom tax.

lots of people who have committed suicide because ATOS have decided they are fit to go back to work when they are quite clearly unfit to do so. (i.e. the blind man who was recently in the news).

at least the nazis just gassed anyone not fit to work.

there are lots of mentally ill people who need support from our society, not a stick over their heads.

i don't know why this country is torturing it's people like this.

if i want to be leader of everything, then i will try to achieve such an ambition - at least i have one.

if you put your mind to it, you could accomplish almost anything you desire.

most people seem to let others decide what and how much they accomplish.

whilst treating their desires with empty promises.

i.e. liberal promises re forgemasters and tuition fees at the last election.