I dont understand caravans

I'd suppose a lot of it depends on your attitude to weather. I'm firmly in the "there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing" camp, to quote Roald Amundsen, so I acually prefer windy and rainy to hot and sunny.

I used to have an Eriba Puck two-berth caravan and those are very well built (so don't rot in the British winters), small enough to store easily and light and aerodynamic enough to be towed at a good speed behind an ordinary car. I loved the freedom it gave me, as it meant that on a Friday afternoon I could decide if I wanted to spend the weekend walking in the Dales, cycling on the South Downs, at the seaside or attending a motorsport event, then I could book a site, stop off at Tesco for supplies on the way home, shove everything I needed in the van and be pitching up in time for a pub supper.

It was always comfortable and always weatherproof and considerably cheaper than going away either to a B&B somewhere (which is still going to be at at least £60 a night for anywhere half decent) or going abroad (accommodation again, plus flights and taxis). You've got the cost of the caravan itself of course, but that's the beauty of getting something popular like the Eriba - I had mine for three and a half years and sold it for what I paid for it. I got a lot of use for the couple of hundred quid I spent on maintenance.

My wife is more of a hot and sunny person, though, and she owns an apartment in Greece so we started using that more and the caravan less. There's something fundamentally stressful about international travel that you just don't get when caravanning, though. I like travelling to see the world, but when you're travelling just away from it all I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Besides, a caravan should be something you're using at least once a month between March and October and most people would struggle to pay for that many overseas holidays/city breaks.

In terms of freedom, booking a caravan site is much like booking a BnB, but you have to tow it to the location.

Maybe the value for money depends on how often you plan to use it though.

I guess everyone has different requirements for holidays. Given the dismal weather we often have, I like to have a sunny break, swim in the sea, do some diving, lounge by the pool a little. I also like to hit the slopes for two or three weeks, which doesn't lend itself to caravanning at all.

But there's room for all of us, despite what Jeremy Clarkson might think.

There small are they David.

Indeed, they're small.

(We loved ours)

You must lead a very boring life.

My caravan attaches to the back of the car...

It has a loo, shower, end bathroom, full oven and hob, and blown air central heating.

I have TV plus mobile internet....

Oh yes, and ferries now cross the Chanel.:)

Why would that be ?

Boothybabe.

I was relying to the OP who said he "would rather stay at home and save money".

I'm just back from a five day holiday in the caravan meeting up with friends.

Overnight cost of staying in the caravan was £48 for four nights.

In terms of freedom, booking a caravan site is much like booking a BnB, but you have to tow it to the location.

Maybe the value for money depends on how often you plan to use it though.

I guess everyone has different requirements for holidays. Given the dismal weather we often have, I like to have a sunny break, swim in the sea, do some diving, lounge by the pool a little. I also like to hit the slopes for two or three weeks, which doesn't lend itself to caravanning at all.

But there's room for all of us, despite what Jeremy Clarkson might think.

Indeed.

I've just returned from a 7 day backpacking trip, everything in the rucksack. Squatting over a hole isn't for everyone, but it allows great freedom of movement. :D

Boothybabe.

I was relying to the OP who said he "would rather stay at home and save money".

I'm just back from a five day holiday in the caravan meeting up with friends.

Overnight cost of staying in the caravan was £48 for four nights.

I have not had a caravan holiday since I was about 16 years of age, thats a long time ago :( my kids have never experienced one and its a shame really, I used to love them.

we have been caravan owners for many years now we have been all over the place in it long weekends in the peak district long drives down to Dover and over to France and Spain we have had some real good times,your caravan is your home away from home where every thing is yours and you don't have to push and shove and que for ever thing we have an Elddis caravan and it is a comfortable warm and roomy van...we sometimes get a weekend off and we have a farmers field out in Derbyshire where we go. there is not much there but the tranquility and peacefulness of the place is so refreshing after a weekend of work..we just get the van set up get the hornig fitted up and chill out with a few beers and wine I even like being in the caravan in the rain as the piter pater sound the rain makes on the roof seems to seams put me to sleep....we still have our usual holidays abroad but the caravan is so easy to just pack up hitch and go,contrary to belief we do have some very nice pleasant weather here at times...