House not warming up.

You may have new radiotors installed but have you had the btu's calculated correctly because if you havent then the radiators are pretty pointless and will make house feel very cold

You may have new radiotors installed but have you had the btu's calculated correctly because if you havent then the radiators are pretty pointless and will make house feel very cold

hi that correct . one of my room in my house is alittle cold besides being on all day ta jeff

Yes jeff thats correct if you have to small of radiators then they will not heat up room correctly and will just be wasting heat

It sounds like an issue we have in the kitchen, house is insulated really well and upstairs (where the living room is) we have it nice and warm within fifteen minutes of the boiler kicking in.

The kitchen only has one small radiator though and doesn't get warm through that. The only time that is warm, is when the oven is on (no joke). We can live with it as we spend most time upstairs anyway, but small radiators are incapable of getting a room warm as Jf plumbing says.

Hi,

Try checking the radiator btu/kw outputs in each room you can get a size/btu chart from Stelrad online use their elite range it should give you a basic guide and then use a heat calculator there are many available online. A rough template we use for terraces in s10 is as follows

lounge 600 x 1800 double

Kitchen 600 x 1400 double

landling 600 x 600 single

bedroom one 600 x 1400 double

bedroom two 600 x 1200 double

rear bedroom 600 x 800 double

attic 600 x 1400 double

bathroom 600 x 600 double

Been fitting this spec for a letting agent for the last 5 years never had any students complain of been cold

Good Luck

Mike

One of the aspects of old terraced houses. My first house at Crookes was the same, attic freezing in winter and boiling in summer.

Recently I've started to put the bath plug in to avoid draughts coming up.

Do you have good thick carpets and underlay?

Can you feel draughts coming in? Maybe use a tissue or feather to check the joins etc..

You can pick up a decent plug in heater that is of a decent energy efficient standard for under 50 quid

Hi there, the heating system was installed by British Gas. The radiators are all the correct size and them double type will grill on the top. It's a worchester greenstar 32CDI combi and there is thermostat in the hallway upstairs. We have baby temperature monitor in our room and that shows around 16°c when the heating is on for an hour. The thermostat in the hallway never reaches above 14°c. I have put some beading around the skylight windows today and also filled some holes where pipework runs into the ceiling. I'm planning to insulate the basement at the weekend. Carpets and underlayer everywhere except kitchen, bathroom and downstairs hallway.

Edited by S10 Landlord

Hi there, the heating system was installed by British Gas. The radiators are all the correct size and them double type will grill on the top. It's a worchester greenstar 32CDI combi and there is thermostat in the hallway upstairs. We have baby temperature monitor in our room and that shows around 16°c when the heating is on for an hour. The thermostat in the hallway never reaches above 14°c. I have put some beading around the skylight windows today and also filled some holes where pipework runs into the ceiling. I'm planning to insulate the basement at the weekebd.

I would still not presume and measure up most people undersize radiators in terrace houses also make sure they are double panel double convector not double panel single convector as this makes a big difference. The basement is definitely a good idea ! Make sure you leave enough ventilation in the basement you could cause damp if you don't!

To be honest I think the heating system is fine. I think the house is losing heat from somewhere and I just need to pinpoint and address it.

You can pick up a decent plug in heater that is of a decent energy efficient standard for under 50 quid

have you tried any of the council scheme for free/discounted insulation? also keep an eye on b&q they have retail only loft insulation which is heavily supported so cheaper!

Could you report a neighbour as a canabis grower and get the helicopter overhead with its thermal imaging ?

JOKE !!!!