House not warming up.

Hard to say really even though british gas installed it lets be honest there not the most honest company out there the surveyor may not even no what btus are so personally i would calculate to be sure as mick said check they are double finned not just double paneled

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 19:51 ----------

How old is house

The house was built in 1890, but I have fully renovated the property over the last four years. The insulation is fine as I went through building regs. When i had the new roof done and thats one of the things they checked. I will double check the size of the rads, but they are double. I bought 50 mm kingspan for the basement, will that be ok? The floor joists are 8 by 2 and I was planning to put some air vents in the ceiling to protect the timber.

[[b[/b]QUOTE=Jf plumbing;10255153]Hard to say really even though british gas installed it lets be honest there not the most honest company out there the surveyor may not even no what btus are so personally i would calculate to be sure as mick said check they are double finned not just double paneled

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 19:51 ----------

How old is house

Well the insulation in cellar will help but not alot its hard to say what problem is only thing i can think of is your not getting enough heat from your rads in the first place

Could you report a neighbour as a canabis grower and get the helicopter overhead with its thermal imaging ?

JOKE !!!!

. You have given me an idea. I will borrow a thermal imaging camera from one of my contacts.

Can you not get British gas back to double check? They might even have some fancy technology to help pinpoint the problem(s).

Well the insulation in cellar will help but not alot its hard to say what problem is only thing i can think of is your not getting enough heat from your rads in the first place
I will double check the radiators.

Definitely have a look at the walls.

Looking back through your posts, most things seem to be pretty well insulated except the cellar, a lot of houses pre 1930 are single skin, the council are now in the process of externally insulating their own properties across the country.

There is something called the green deal, but I think only 21 people have taken EWI on private properties in the country as it's some sort of loan tied to the property, MET knows more about green deal than me.

Are the external walls (inside your property) cold?

I think you can lose up to 35% of heat through your walls if they are not insulated.

. You have given me an idea. I will borrow a thermal imaging camera from one of my contacts.

A bit of lateral thinking!!!

Hope you find a solution.

If you have a well ventilated cellar (which is good) you will likely be losing most heat there. Insulating under the floor should help IIRC you need 100mm to get to current standard. If you are really concerned you could insulate the walls and interior of attic with products like insulated plaster boards and/or superquilt. I think one layer superquilt and 25mm board is enough. Although 50mm kingspan in the roof will pass regs, it is only because it's the best practicable solution not enough to get to the best standard (you have to leave a gap to ventilate the roof). The other thing to consider is the doors. Composite will give about double the insulation of PVC.

All this will take a lot of time to pay off through energy savings though. I would say as an owner of an 1890 terrace with slightly more external surfaces and a similarly insulated, you aren't doing too bad to get to 16 after 1hr heating. Had ours on for 1.5 hrs tonight and we are at 15C downstairs and 16.4C up. Although we have quite a lot of gaps in the floor downstairs.

As a matter of interest, is property you describe in Crookes?

I wish I lived in a terrace/older house it would be a log burner in lounge and dinning room for me!.

As a matter of interest, is property you describe in Crookes?

The OP said in one post that he was in Crookes, but if that's directed at me, I'm not.