Wood lane.. Side of car people on parkway

I wonder how today's planners will feature in the history of humanity?

Stone age man invent the wheel.

During the cradle of civilization man invents tracks.

Romans invent roads.

20th century planners invent roads you can see but cannot use.

Now look here, milquetoast1, if that is your real name, I did excuse your cynicism for a moment but that moment has now passed :nono:

I've been up for a good number of hours now, so if I'm allowed to be cynical for a moment...

Where do they get the guys who think up these schemes, Whipsnade Zoo, because they do seem to have the brain capacity of a monkey.

Angel.

I can't see how it would become a "rat run" the road leads upto brinsworth... Would take hell of a lot longer for you to use that road and to get through Tinsley upto junction 34 or to even get back to the top of junction 33! As a resident of Brinsworth every time I come off the parkway I think to myself... Now I've got to sit in the traffic at catcliffe and do another 2-3 mile to get home when yet I can actually see my house from the junction. I can see that they thought originally it would become a rat run but to be honest to get to junction 34 from the parkway is probably quicker waiting in the traffic or even going towards the airport on to shepcote lane.

Agreed.

This winds me up on a daily basis. Crawling along Europa Link in slow moving traffic is bad enough, this is then made worse by being denied access to wood lane which would save me around 10 minutes on my journey to Brinsworth.

I have not seen a bus use for around 3 years.

It's not just the residents of Brinsworth this would benefit. Right now there is a huge bottleneck of traffic at the Morrison's roundabout and opening Wood Lane to everyone would help reduce this. That will benefit people coming from Catcliffe, Waverley, Handsworth, Woodhouse, Richmond and further afield if it meant that the Brinsworth folk used Wood Lane.

Another point, why don't any able bodied people who live in Brinsworth and work on the business park consider walking/cycling? I biked it into Brinsworth this lunchtime and it took me 5 minutes. 20 minutes to walk I'd guess.

The problem with these "rat runs" is they're often on residential streets and the people who live on these streets aren't happy that cars are constantly driving up and down the road at fast speeds, just so the drivers can save 2 minutes on their journey times.

And the problems with posters who dont know the areas is that they feel free to pass comments that arent applicable. and yes i do feel better now

For post purposes the use fo the term "airport" is for the road from catcliffe roundabout going past the area where Sheffield Airport was based

I live in Brinsworth and the Wood lane road would be a perfect link road for the residents of Brinsworth and Catcliffe, the current situation is that if you are coming off the parkway you have to go round round Morrisons, Boundary Mill and this area (at peak times) is always slow and then round to whichever destination you are heading to.

If you are coming down from the airport this is the same route you have to take so you get a bottleneck at Catcliffe exit of the parkway where you have all the traffic coming off to go round to Brinsworth / Catcliffe / Treeton as well as shopping at Morrison or Boundary Mill.

Heading out of the area to the Parkway or the airport road you have all the traffic from Brinsworth, Catcliffe and Treeton all converging on one mini roundabout which slows traffic up.

The time taken from leaving the Parkway to say Brinsworth shoppnig area can easily take 15 minutes. Traffic coming from the airport is longer as they dont have right of way and have to wait for a gap in the traffic leaving the Parkway and is continually backed up.

Wood lane is a non-residential road which, if opened with a controlled system to access the road at the top with direct access to Brinsworth and Catcliffe/Treeton, would allow traffic coming from the airport turn off there alliviating traffic volumes at Catcliffe roundabout.

Traffic coming off the Parkway could also head down the airport side again alliviating traffic at Catcliffe roundabout as traffic would go straight on at the roundabout allowing a faster flow for the airport traffic. This would be environmentally better as well with fumes from standing cars reducing as well as time management. I woudl say that from Parkway to Shopping area via the existing system is 15 minutes minimum, using Wood lane - 5 min and keeps traffic moving disrupting no-one else as its not residential

Its really a no-brainer but the council wont do it.

This will only get worse when the Waverley "Supervillage" grows and traffic increases in that vicinity as i believe the road proposed as a route of it has been blocked but i'm willing to be stood corrected.

Edited by sheffbag

Maybe the people who are really affected by this should start a petition? Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me personally as I cycle to work but I can see the benefits for others and I'd certainly sign it. I know petitions often don't hold much water but at least it would be a way for the council to gauge the interest.

As sheffbag mentioned, with the growth of Waverley this is only going to get worse. There'll be 3890 homes there within 20 years so something needs to be done about it now.

I cycle (dare I say that without upsetting some people on here!) up and down Wood Lane a couple of times of week and the barrier is not helpful to cyclists either. It is actually a gate that spans the full length of the road so to get past it you have to go up on to the footpath. (Now that will definitely upset some people on here!)

When the road was first 'opened up' there was a bollard that could rise up and down to let certain vehicles go through. However I know it was constantly damaged and also of at least one person who became a cropper trying to sneak through and it rose under their engine and damaged it.

From my memory as other Forumers have already said RMBC are not willing to open it up because of the impact they believe the increased traffic flow will have on people living in the residential areas of Brinsworth and Catcliffe.

Could we not get some sort of online e petition going? Don't know how this works exactly but I've noticed this kind of thing before, especially on the road to Manchester after the woodhead pass, sign the e petition signs all over the place up there! It just seems common sense needs to prevail on this matter.

From my memory as other Forumers have already said RMBC are not willing to open it up because of the impact they believe the increased traffic flow will have on people living in the residential areas of Brinsworth and Catcliffe.

Yet residents of Brinsworth & Catcliffe are those who would benefit most from the road being opened!

I notice the gate is gone and Wood Lane is now open. The new 71 bus route from Rotherham to Meadowhall is now using it. Unfortunately it is still signposted as buses only but the rising bollard is still permanently down. :wink:

I live in catcliffe and now the gate has gone I use that road constantly to get home! Yes I know I'm breaking the law and if I get done il accept my punishment but it saves me a good 10-15 mins on the journey home