Where are the January 1st Immigrants?

Mr Spiersau sounds a disciplined, well motivated individual with a flexible outlook-the sort of qualities many of our feckless who constantly whine about immigrants taking 'their' jobs should aspire to, then they'd not find themselves competing with a foreigner squeezing a shammy leather.

Maybe UK workers have higher aspirations than washing cars. Maybe the Romanians don't mind because it's more than they get for working on a building site back home. Maybe it's not worth our native unemployed coming off benefits.

As good as my local hand car wash is and how hard all the foreign workers there work all day, I have my doubts about the legitimacy of the growth of hand car washes across just about all urban areas in the UK. It would be interesting to see a proper investigation to see how many are paying tax, paying their workers the proper rate, paying their NI contributions, the workers paying income tax etc etc.

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 15:27 ----------

Incidentally, I wouldn't describe the prospect of emigrating to a country of haters in order to wash their cars for a living to be a panacea.

A life on a tropical beach with all you can eat pork products served by nubile dancing girls might be.

What makes you think the UK is a country of haters?

The UK is an attractive destination which bends over backwards to ensure they are welcomed.

I worked in Romania once, so I'm already 1-0 up in the competition to steal each others jobs.

One time, driving across Romania we passed through the Gypsy town of Buzescu where all the rich Gypsies compete with each other to build the most extraordinary gaudy palaces, it's quite something! Here's a Youtube clip of the place -

The UK is an attractive destination which bends over backwards to ensure they are welcomed.

Not seen any of the tabloid front pages in the last week have you?

your own link

The 180-seat aircraft from Tirgu Mures only had 140 passengers on board, he said, most of whom already live and work in the UK.

''Just on the conversations we've had with people who have come here, a lot of them are returning people, they already work in Britain and they're coming back after a holiday so they're not people coming here for the first time,'' Mr Vaz said.

''We've seen no evidence of people who have rushed out and bought tickets in order to arrive because it's the 1st of January.

so thats not really answering poppets question

Anna Glypta obviously doesn't read her own links. :hihi:

Edited by poppet2

No, but it has certainly been implied.

"Next year, the EU will allow 29 million Bulgarians and Romanians to come to the UK.

The Government have admitted there's nothing we can do about it, while we're in the EU." (UKIP flyer)

"Ukip leader Nigel Farage has warned that 29 million Bulgarians and Romanians will have the right to unrestricted access to Britain’s benefits system after 2014." (Daily Mail)

There is nothing in that statement which is untrue.

Of course not, it's baloney.

Glad you think that.

Edited by Lee_

Maybe UK workers have higher aspirations than washing cars. Maybe the Romanians don't mind because it's more than they get for working on a building site back home. Maybe it's not worth our native unemployed coming off benefits.

As good as my local hand car wash is and how hard all the foreign workers there work all day, I have my doubts about the legitimacy of the growth of hand car washes across just about all urban areas in the UK. It would be interesting to see a proper investigation to see how many are paying tax, paying their workers the proper rate, paying their NI contributions, the workers paying income tax etc etc.

I don't know if they have been checked in the UK but in Sweden, Asylum seekers and undocumented immigrants are being treated like slaves and paid far less than the legal minimum wage at car washes around the country, according to the police.

http://www.essex.pcc.police.uk/2013/12/its-happening-here-modern-slavery-in-essex/

It’s Happening Here: Modern Slavery in Essex

Some of these people are forced to work in places like cannabis factories, nail bars, brothels and car washes.

Edited by daneha

Maybe UK workers have higher aspirations than washing cars.
That's fine so let the Romanians crack on with it then instead of bleating about them.

Maybe the Romanians don't mind because it's more than they get for working on a building site back home. Maybe it's not worth our native unemployed coming off benefits.

Or employing the grey matter and a bit of initiative.

That's not an immigration issue is it? There are plenty such businesses operated by British people.

You think Romanians don't read the papers? Some might even read the Sheffield Forum-god forbid. What impression would you be left with?

You think Romanians don't read the papers? Some might even read the Sheffield Forum-god forbid. What impression would you be left with?

I would be left with the impression that high immigration is an area of public policy of huge public concern.

Of course Mr Vaz was only at Luton, he wasn't at Manchester, Gatwick, Newcastle, East Midlands, Stansted, Dover etc to see how many turned up there.

It is a very strange choice of airport. I always thought it was an airport where holiday charter flights flew from not one where too many folk would pick as an entry point on a one way ticket particularly those carrying a load of baggage. It might have been a better bet to meet a Channel ferry and see who is arriving on that.

Mr Spiersau sounds a disciplined, well motivated individual with a flexible outlook-the sort of qualities many of our feckless who constantly whine about immigrants taking 'their' jobs should aspire to, then they'd not find themselves competing with a foreigner squeezing a shammy leather.

Good article here about his house, girlfriend he has left back home, and taking the cleaning job:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533497/Washing-cars-Biggleswade-Romanian-welcomed-UK-New-Years-Day-Keith-Vaz-Meanwhile-fianc-es-left-chopping-wood-Transylvania.html

:)

It is a very strange choice of airport. I always thought it was an airport where holiday charter flights flew from not one where too many folk would pick as an entry point on a one way ticket particularly those carrying a load of baggage. It might have been a better bet to meet a Channel ferry and see who is arriving on that.

Picking a worldwide public holiday probably isn't a very representative day either, when most people would have spent the previous evening celebrating with friends and family.