Weight lifting help

Hi,

I am looking to learn to lift weight properly once a week to help with my climbing anyone got a good set up and willing to help or any advice?

Cheers

Hi,

I am looking to learn to lift weight properly once a week to help with my climbing anyone got a good set up and willing to help or any advice?

Cheers

There's far better ways than weight training to help with climbing.

Weights are good for lots of stuff, but, they tend to build muscle which is heavy and obviously, low weight is good for climbing.

Plus climbing is more about tendons than muscle, and weight training is not the best way to work on those.

Look at callisthenics-uses simple kit (chinning bar, pressups etc) and the moves are directly relevant to climbing, plus it tends to build a climbers physique (wiry, light, strong tendons) rather than a 'weights' physique (muscular, heavier, often tendon issues)

check this-

I'm not knocking weights- I used them for 25+ years myself, but, from your post I genuinely think you should consider calisthenics type stuff.

Hi,

Impressive stuff on the vid big respect, yeah I do a lot of stuff on pull up bar etc and light weights and even have a training celler board but would like to understand weights a bit more dead lift etc, local gyms are expensive see

The commercial gyms with contracts, coaches/salespeople and banks of running machines etc- yes, they're pricey, but there's loads of little bodybuilders gyms that have pay-as-you-train sessions, just rooms with loads of weights and basic machines.

I'd guess around £5/session?

On the wicker there is Musclemadness its about £2.50 a session or £6 for the week.

Near bramhall lane there's a gym called iron athlete, they have some stuff you won't find in a lot of gyms, like prowler pushes and olympic rings.

I take it you climb down at the climbing works?

Cheers little in climbing works mainly outside or on my board

If you want to make good progress, check out our classes at http://www.donvalleycrossfit.co.uk

We use a mixture of gymnastics, weightlifting and everything inbetween to enhance your performance. We have quite a few climbers who train here already

Hi,

Cheers

There was a thread on here about a weight lifting club at the University, Collegiate crescent I think, Olympic lifting and power lifting, taught by proper coaches. I think it was 3 quid a time on a Wednesday evening.

Squats and Deadlifts develop overall strength and power.

Get yourself on Bodybuilding forum. Everything you could possibly want to know and more is right there.

Bodybuilding is not going to help with climbing. It's an aesthetic pursuit, not related to fitness.

Hi,

Cheers

Keep your back straight and bend your knees.