Joseph Tomlinsons Sheffield

If you go back even further in the 1911 directory there seems to be two number 31s and no number 35 whether this is a misprint I don't know but the numbering in those days were a bit unreliable.

Bedford Street

Court 5

31 Simpson Edward. Wright. manager

31 Swallow Frederick & Sons Ltd. Coal Merchants

Billinghay & Lait, Coach Builders.

In 1905

35 was

Thomas Henry Wordsworth, (J) pattern maker,

Billingay & Laite, coach builders.

And still two 31's

The 1911 census return shows Edward Wright Simpson as a coal merchant's "Secretary" at 31 Bedford Street, so perhaps he lived on the premises; this would explain the two entries for No 31.

Looking at earlier directories it seems that Bedford Street dates from around 1860, and Tomlinson's were at No 26 by 1878 or earlier; here is a scan from the 1879 directory. Perhaps Joseph Tomlinson also lived "over the shop".

Edited by hillsbro

Dear Hillsbro,retep and jaffa1, thanks for all your hard work. If the owners of 35 Bedford street used to build coaches in 1905, then it would make a lot of sense why they needed a yard and the outbuildings at the back. Not sure what happened between this date and 1954 when Clayton Horace was resident of 35. Was the yard and outbuildings leased do you think? Thanks again

...Not sure what happened between this date and 1954 when Clayton Horace was resident of 35. Was the yard and outbuildings leased do you think?
I would guess that No 35 was empty in 1910-11, as this would explain the lack of an entry in both the 1911 directory (compiled in 1910) and the 1911 census return. Between 1911 and 1954 I have directories for 1925, 1931, 1937, 1940, 1942 and 1951 - also some later ones. They don't mention any companies that might have leased the yard, but the 1925 directory shows the occupant of No 35 as "Robert Pasley, manager", while the 1931 directory shows him as a "pensioner". Robert Pasley died in 1935, and directories from 1937 to 1951 show "Horace Clayton, cutler" at No 35, as in the 1954 to 1965 directories. Horace Clayton died in 1966, and the 1971 directory shows his wife Emily at No 35. The 1973 directory does not show No 35, and so it had presumably been demolished by 1972.

I would guess that No 35 was empty in 1910-11, as this would explain the lack of an entry in both the 1911 directory (compiled in 1910) and the 1911 census return. Between 1911 and 1954 I have directories for 1925, 1931, 1937, 1940, 1942 and 1951 - also some later ones. They don't mention any companies that might have leased the yard, but the 1925 directory shows the occupant of No 35 as "Robert Pasley, manager", while the 1931 directory shows him as a "pensioner". Robert Pasley died in 1935, and directories from 1937 to 1951 show "Horace Clayton, cutler" at No 35, as in the 1954 to 1965 directories. Horace Clayton died in 1966, and the 1971 directory shows his wife Emily at No 35. The 1973 directory does not show No 35, and so it had presumably been demolished by 1972.

Thanks again. There are quite a few names to look into, but I can confirm 35 Bedford street house still exists. It was one of the few remaining on the street, purchased by my wife in 2011. However, the yard to the side, as of 1999 was 'acquired' by the council following the loss of the deeds in 1997. They then built Sheffield Community Transport, leaving a very small strip of land which allows access to her garden at the rear from the front. The council are now trying to charge my wife for the use of this land, which I believe once belonged to the house. I have a lot of circumstantial evidence, but I would like to have concrete proof to submit to the land registry to request the full freehold title.

Thanks again. There are quite a few names to look into, but I can confirm 35 Bedford street house still exists...
In that case it's surprising that it isn't mentioned in the 1973 directory (or the one for 1974). Perhaps it was again empty for an extended period. I'm familiar with lost deeds :( - in 1986 I bought a bungalow and the seller had lost the deeds. It caused a few problems though eventually it was all sorted out.

In that case it's surprising that it isn't mentioned in the 1973 directory (or the one for 1974). Perhaps it was again empty for an extended period. I'm familiar with lost deeds :( - in 1986 I bought a bungalow and the seller had lost the deeds. It caused a few problems though eventually it was all sorted out.

Yes, this is a major issue as I do not particularly want to be charged over 1.5K a year just to be able to access the back garden from the side gate... The council reverted back to the 1969 deeds during the purchase and claimed the land as their own. Since I believe the land was acquired after the remaining houses were demolished (1970+), then I firmly believe the council have stolen the land and charging the real owner for access, which is pure madness. Anyway my battle continues...

Yes, this is a major issue as I do not particularly want to be charged over 1.5K a year just to be able to access the back garden from the side gate... The council reverted back to the 1969 deeds during the purchase and claimed the land as their own. Since I believe the land was acquired after the remaining houses were demolished (1970+), then I firmly believe the council have stolen the land and charging the real owner for access, which is pure madness. Anyway my battle continues...

I seem to remember the picture framing shop No.37-39 had gates to the side of 35.

Advice would be try and get pictures of Bedford Street at the central library.

I seem to remember the picture framing shop No.37-39 had gates to the side of 35.

Advice would be try and get pictures of Bedford Street at the central library.

Indeed there are gates and the OS maps prove it. The yard could access some out buildings towards the back and through a second set of gates access the framing shop. I have been unable to source any pictures that are close up showing these gates, but I have a few from various angles (from picture Sheffield). Also the aerial photos form the 1939, 1960 and 1970 do not show sufficient detail. I can obtain sufficient detail from on taken in 1999, but that is a couple of years too late. I am in communication with an archivist at the library who has been very helpful. Although I have not yet found the smoking gun. However, even if I find photographic evidence that it existed it still would not show who owned the land and this is the main problem.

Dear Hillsbro,retep and jaffa1, thanks for all your hard work. If the owners of 35 Bedford street used to build coaches in 1905, then it would make a lot of sense why they needed a yard and the outbuildings at the back. Not sure what happened between this date and 1954 when Clayton Horace was resident of 35. Was the yard and outbuildings leased do you think? Thanks again

Did it belong to the coal merchant that came after the coach builders? I remember the coal merchants being there as a kid.

Did it belong to the coal merchant that came after the coach builders? I remember the coal merchants being there as a kid.

I believe the coal merchant was next door, so number 31. I thought the coach builders were using 35? Records at the time were a bit unreliable unfortunately... It is a shame I cannot find the deeds for number 31 to shed some light on who owned the yard and out buildings...

I believe the coal merchant was next door, so number 31. I thought the coach builders were using 35?...
Yes, the coal merchant was at No 31 - see here for the 1954 Kelly's directory entry for Bedford Street. The 1905 and 1911 directories shows a coach builder at No 35 - see here for the 1905 entry.