Joseph Tomlinsons Sheffield

In the mid 60's, one of the people running the firm was a Mr. Hudson, whom PCPlod may be referring to. The livery of their fleet of FX4 taxis was an odd combination of black top areas with a beige lower half, and 'Tomlinson's Radio Taxis' ( the first radio cabs in the city I believe ) written on the boot lid in red letters, outlined in white; these vehicles making a rather gaudy contrast to the other, more conservative, all black FX4's on the ranks. The dead were taken into a section on the right side of the cobbled yard on entering through the arch, female cadavers often having their longer hair hanging from the zipped-up, green, canvass transporting bags. The hire of those most atmospheric, Dickensian premises to film companies could have been a further addition to the firm's income and survival, had they thought of it !

My grandma lived on bedford st opposite Tomlinsons big arched entrance.

My dad said that Tommy Ward kept his elephant there cos it was the only place big enough for the elephant to enter.

He said T Wards elephant knocked his front tooth out but it really was knocked out by a pit pony

hazel

I worked 3 and 4 beats in the 1960's, and Tomlinsons were in their original cobbled yard on a tiny street between Penistone Rd. and Infirmary Road, next to a small graveyard at the end of Infirmary Rd. They ran a funeral service and taxi's, or as they were called in those days, hackney carriages. I used to call in at night for a cup of tea with the chap manning the radio. The yard through a large archway was cobbled, and around it were the old stables for the hackney carriage horses and places for the carriages, including landau carriages. It was like stepping back in time to the Victorian age. All gone now I suppose, Google maps don't have it or the graveyard.

P.C.Plod178

I was a driver for Tomlinson's in the 60's the night controller was called Harold he always had the fire roaring in the winter, and the massive kettle was always full lol, there was an old church pew to sit on .

Did you know any daytime drivers 'Tare19' ? I knew Albert, whose son was a ballet dancer, and the thin chap with glasses who wore a peaked cap and kept an immaculate cab.

Did you know any daytime drivers 'Tare19' ? I knew Albert, whose son was a ballet dancer, and the thin chap with glasses who wore a peaked cap and kept an immaculate cab.

When I started I was 21 and Albert Rodgers showed me the "ropes" Albert's son was the same age as me, his name is Brian (met him a few times) Brian went on to form "The Brian Rodger's Dancers) very famous group of dancers, and still going strong as far as I know maybe with name change. The other driver you mention,(think his name was Doug not sure) he was the one whose cab I drove for the Hackney test with Inspector Nelson remember him?.

---------- Post added 10-01-2014 at 07:59 ----------

I remember a joseph Tomlinson funeral directors on a side street off infirmary road it was there for donkeys years, think it must have been taken over by one of the big private firms, I have often wondered what happened to the firm, a couple of my relatives were buried by them in the past that's about all I can remember about them x:confused:

I "took it over" as you say!:rant:

Can't recall the name, 'Tare19'. I know their cabs had radio names, 'Peter' etc.. I'd forgotten Albert's surname, Rodgers it was, as you say. He was very proud of his son being a dancer, but was always quick to add " But he's not one of those !"

Hazel your post re your grandma living opposite Tomlinsons and your uncle living on Cross Bedford St. Was your grandma called Ruth Strickland. She was my great grandmother. Also a big thank you to Hillsbro. His Bedford St photo showing the Infirmary in the distance clearly shows grandma's house opposite Tomlinsons

Dear all, My wife purchased 35 Bedford Street a number of years ago and I am trying my best to trace its history. I believe this property was right opposite Joseph Tomlinson & Sons Ltd and wondering if this is where Hazel's grandmother used to live? Since the street is really unrecognizable would anyone have any photos of the property to see what the house and surroundings looked like throughout the years? Thanks

Hi James. The whole of the street opposite Tomlinson's was lined with terraced houses. Probably more than 25 of them. Each set of about 4 whilst having front doors to Bedford St also had a passage which led to their back doorsand a large yard. At the back of this space we're 2 more terraces. My great grandmother lived at a house fronting Bedford St and her daughter Annie lived across the yard

Hi James. The whole of the street opposite Tomlinson's was lined with terraced houses. Probably more than 25 of them. Each set of about 4 whilst having front doors to Bedford St also had a passage which led to their back doorsand a large yard. At the back of this space we're 2 more terraces. My great grandmother lived at a house fronting Bedford St and her daughter Annie lived across the yard

Barry, that is very interesting and explains a lot. My wife's house has a wall with a gate next to it that is used to access a small strip of which leads to the back garden. However, according to the land registry, it does not belong to the house. Do you know who owned this passageway?

Thanks, James

Dear all, My wife purchased 35 Bedford Street a number of years ago and I am trying my best to trace its history. I believe this property was right opposite Joseph Tomlinson & Sons Ltd and wondering if this is where Hazel's grandmother used to live? Since the street is really unrecognizable would anyone have any photos of the property to see what the house and surroundings looked like throughout the years? Thanks

There is a pic. of the area on Britain From Above--EPW061499 into search

Thanks retap, that picture did not come up on my research, but I found other aerial photos from the 60's and 70's. Also found pictures of Bedford Street, but in every picture, it is very difficult to see any real detail of the house and surrounding land.