Joseph Tomlinsons Sheffield

:help:I have been researching my family history and was lucky enough to get access to the yard that was once Joseph Tomlinsons & Sons

I was shown the cross that is in the cobbles , one of my relations was killed in that yard if anyone has any details of Joseph Tomlinsons & Sons or details on that cross i would be most greatfull

I remember a joseph Tomlinson funeral directors on a side street off infirmary road it was there for donkeys years, think it must have been taken over by one of the big private firms, I have often wondered what happened to the firm, a couple of my relatives were buried by them in the past that's about all I can remember about them x:confused:

Thanks i have photos from 2014 today infact and illustrations of the site from the 1900's just hoped someone may add a nugget or two

Thanks i have photos from 2014 today infact and illustrations of the site from the 1900's just hoped someone may add a nugget or two

Just a little nugget, "Immediately after the inquest the body was conveyed by Messrs. Tomlinson and Sons to the Midland Railway Station, the Indians and others connected with the show following in carriages. The funeral party was met by Mr. Wheen, the station master, and the coffin containing the body was taken from the hearse and placed in a van specially engaged for the purpose."

This was taken from the Sheffield & Rotherham Independent,

26th August 1891

THE DEATH OF “EAGLE STAR” IN SHEFFIELD.

INQUEST AT THE INFIRMARY

In 1891 Buffalo Bill came to Sheffield and left without a Indian called Paul Eagle Star who died from injuries sustained in the Wild West Show.

:confused:Was it Tomlinsons who had that advert in the window"If you don,t die we cant live!"?.Somebody told me that or I might have dreamed it,I can,t remember,where am I?,Help!.:confused::confused::help:

:help:I have been researching my family history and was lucky enough to get access to the yard that was once Joseph Tomlinsons & Sons

I was shown the cross that is in the cobbles , one of my relations was killed in that yard if anyone has any details of Joseph Tomlinsons & Sons or details on that cross i would be most greatfull

A name would be handy.

Sorry :sad:There were two man and wife James Dundas and Laura Dundas

James died 1906 Laura died 1904 both listed as dying at 14 Bedford Street

Their grave is at Burngreave cemetery

Sorry :sad:There were two man and wife James Dundas and Laura Dundas

James died 1906 Laura died 1904 both listed as dying at 14 Bedford Street

Their grave is at Burngreave cemetery

No 14 would be three houses below Tomlinsons, you could have a visit to the library for a newspaper look up to see if it was reported, or get a death certificate.

I did contact what was left of Tomlinsons some years ago to find out what happened to their old records, was told they went in the skip.

I worked 3 and 4 beats in the 1960's, and Tomlinsons were in their original cobbled yard on a tiny street between Penistone Rd. and Infirmary Road, next to a small graveyard at the end of Infirmary Rd. They ran a funeral service and taxi's, or as they were called in those days, hackney carriages. I used to call in at night for a cup of tea with the chap manning the radio. The yard through a large archway was cobbled, and around it were the old stables for the hackney carriage horses and places for the carriages, including landau carriages. It was like stepping back in time to the Victorian age. All gone now I suppose, Google maps don't have it or the graveyard.

P.C.Plod178

...Tomlinsons were in their original cobbled yard on a tiny street between Penistone Rd. and Infirmary Road...
That was Bedford Street - here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo looking towards Infirmary Road, and another link to a view of Tomlinson's "Borough Mews" premises. The archway and part of the frontage are still there - here is a Google Earth photo. I still have Tomlinsons' bill for the 1906 funeral of my great-great-grandma - a snip at £5 2s..:) Edited by hillsbro

It looks as if the Standard Triumph dealer at the bottom of Ecclesall Road, Joseph Tomlinson, must have been the same company.

It looks as if the Standard Triumph dealer at the bottom of Ecclesall Road, Joseph Tomlinson, must have been the same company.
Yes indeed - here is a scan from a 1950s Kelly's directory.