Electric bikes in Sheffield??

I have one, bought from Edinburgh cycles.

My left knee was badly injured a few years ago and although causes me no problems day to day, means cycling up hills is a no go.

The batteries don't constantly need replacing unless you buy cheap rubbish. My battery is guaranteed for 2 years and I know someone who has had the same battery for over 4 years and it still keeps good charge.

It's a revelation up hills. The one thing I'd say is try a couple, which isn't easy in Sheffield. I couldn't get on with the Whisper bikes or wheel drive as they feel "unnatural". I've got a crank drive Koga. Most of the time I have the power off, but when approaching a hill I put the power on. It's just as though you have a little more power in your legs. There is no sudden rush. I own other bikes and I'd say it feels no different than riding those. Things have moved on since the bad old unbalanced days.

Before the problem with my knee I cycled a lot, so it was infuriating to not be able to. I stopped for a good 5 years. It's made it enjoyable again. I probably would have said e-bikes were a waste if time those few years ago. Now I know they aren't. They actually have the fastest growth of sales of any type of bike in Europe.

Edited by swordfish1

Thanks for the replies, are their any local clubs for people with electric bikes?.

would avoid the traditional cycling club there to cliquey if you ain't got a top of the range Trek or something they don't want to know you...I'm now a member of the CTC a club I would have never riden with years ago but there members are all ages, fitness levels and all bike types including electric bikes...Sheffield has a good CTC club

My neighbour's selling his. Loved it but can't afford to keep buying new batteries.

What bike is it?.

Thanks for the replies, are their any local clubs for people with electric bikes?.

Not a club as such, but they get more than 50 riders on the monthly Sheffield Friday Night Ride, all kinds of bikes including electric ones (the ride leader sometimes comes on his electric bike).

Very sociable bunch from all sorts of backgrounds. Ride usually has a theme to it.

http://www.sfnr.org.uk/

http://www.sfnr.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/FNR-21-May-Skye-Edge-sfnr-poster.jpg

My neighbour's selling his. Loved it but can't afford to keep buying new batteries.

I have electric bike and thought it was great

However when I needed new battery found it cost £400 !!! :loopy:

I have electric bike and thought it was great

However when I needed new battery found it cost £400 !!! :loopy:

What bike have you got Mark?.

What bike have you got Mark?.

I have City Thunder (by Powered Bicycles Nottingham)

I used to have a Izip electric bike, it was quite good even on the hills....

but i found it heavy an you couldn't take the motor off to use it as a normal bike.....so i found a 36v conversation kit going cheap on ebay, built a battery box that fits inside the frame with my three 12v batterys in...an it works great! an easily converts back to a normal mountain bike...

the price, including my bike was around the £160 ish

trav4 if you pm me ill give you the details of a mate of mine who is a fountain of knowledge on electric bikes. I think he has 3 in the house, 2 are his and 1 for the misses. Knows the best places to get batteries reconditioned and all sorts of stuff. Can be regularly seen heading out to his allotment on Rivelin on the electric bike. Has also done Blake Street on it. Well worth a chat with him

hi the best electric bike round this area with hills etc is a chain driven not a hub driven electric bike woosh are one of the best at supplying them

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/

hi the best electric bike round this area with hills etc is a chain driven not a hub driven electric bike woosh are one of the best at supplying them

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/

I have been looking at these, the sirocco cd and cdl.

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 19:49 ----------

Someone in Wakefield is offering a 2 year old Freego Eagle for £500 with the battery supposed to be ok...

Does anyone know about these bikes?