Electric bikes in Sheffield??

Does anyone know a local retailer and anything about electric bikes?.

James Cycles do them. When I looked into getting one the lower powered ones (also the lower priced ones) weren't suitable for hills, so I didn't bother in the end. Would be interested to hear from anyone who uses one in Sheffield.

Waste of money round here, and added weight to lug up hills.

I have tried an electric bike, it would get me up the hills but was terrible in traffic. It is very hard to hold a steady line on the road as the weight is in the wrong place for a bike so it wobbles. It really is a moped but shaped like a bike and it feels like you are riding too high for the weight of the thing. When its ridden without assisted power it feels like the bike is dragging a great weight. As you may gather I am not a fan. However, it maybe that there are better models out there. People speak highly of the Whisper - there are internet forums that chat about electric bikes - you should check them out. Don't be entirely put off by my experience - these bikes are improving all the time.

I have an electric bike. Bought it at J E James.

I think it's great. Used to use between Ecclesall and town when I worked in the town centre. Just used it as a normal bike on the way down then added the electric drive on the hills when coming back. Town to Ecclesall - about 10 minutes.

The battery makes it heavy but if I want to put it on the car cycle rack I just take off the battery.

I've just been on a CTC tour in Winchester and some of the cyclists on that were using them and as a hardened cyclist myself I wouldn't mind one for work, there fast and go up the hills like the clappers I would strongly recommend one.

Halford do a range

Thanks for the replies, are their any local clubs for people with electric bikes?.

The Giant bike shop (ex Earl of Arundel & Surrey pub), Queens Road, also do them.

I tried one for 2 months for a 21 mile commute. The one I tried (Raleigh Velo Trail) was heavy, clunky and badly balanced in terms of weight, but certainly did the job in terms of taking the effort out of hills and helped me to arrive faster, less sweaty, and not as tired. I also felt a bit safer as I could pull away quicker at roundabouts, etc. I would recommend one with the battery in the centre, and the power from the crank area, as the one I used had the battery on the back and the motor in the front wheel, which was an odd sensation off being pulled along, and led to wheel spins when setting off uphill. Also, the cantilever brakes were totally inadequate for a bike of that weight with the power of a motor on!

My neighbour's selling his. Loved it but can't afford to keep buying new batteries.