Anybody been fishing on the don

Has anybody been on the don over the xmas holidays ?

Yes, I fished the Beeley Woods stretch just before the new year

Yes, I fished the Beeley Woods stretch just before the new year

any good dars ?

I was yesterday until I fell in and the unforgiving tide swept me away

the water was a good level, not especially high, clarity was good - not crystal clear, but not too coloured

fished a variety of familiar runs but mostly trout, in fact I ended up with around 25, only 4 grayling unfortunately, but they were all good uns, best going 1lb 4oz ish

I was trotting maggots mostly just tripping the deck

Iv been on the don today fished the salmon pastures stretch started off slow but I got em feeding it was a fish every other trot down nothing very big though trout and grayling between 6 and 9 oz and a bonus chub about a pound really enjoyed it in the sunshine

I fish the river don, deepcar to middlewood every winter & have done for 15-20 years (?) - the majority of my winter fishing is river-based, as I can't bear sitting static & shivering

I've been really struggling for chub for the last 2 or 3 years, maybe I'm fishing the wrong areas or wrong tactics, but it used to be quite good up deepcar way (having said that I've always been satisfied just targeting the grayling), maybe I should give the feeder a go instead of constant trotting...

I was on the Don on the 22nd of dec in Hillsborough was on maggot feeder was there from 8 till 1 and had a 3lb chub 6 trout and and 5 grayling really good mornings fishing!!

Your not the only one. The only thing I'm catching is a cold. There are some good stretches and I have had some cracking sessions in the past.

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 21:13 ----------

I love catching Grayling. Sounds like a nice session Chris, well done!!

you may as well just take grenades if your using maggots to lure the fish in. try using artificial flies as there is more art to it!! fly fishing is the hardest method on a river.

as for myself i do fish on the don round hillsborough, middlewood and even in town where grayling numbers are fairly low but still plenty around

you may as well just take grenades if your using maggots to lure the fish in. try using artificial flies as there is more art to it!! fly fishing is the hardest method on a river.

as for myself i do fish on the don round hillsborough, middlewood and even in town where grayling numbers are fairly low but still plenty around

Now I'm definitely not saying you're wrong regarding maggot but if what you say is right why is bait fishing banned on fly only waters. And why a few years ago were several season ticket owners prosecuted for using worm at Ladybower?