'Helping the poor is not about charity, it's

'Helping the poor is not about Charity, it's about justice'

So said the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, in his New Year message to the Nation.

I couldn't agree more. He says it's not about politics but about love.

He also asks that everyone to try to change their bit of the world for the better.

Quite inspiring I thought, and nice to hear someone in a public position of influence say it loud and clear. Maybe some of the more hard hearted types on here will take note...

There is also the theory that it's about economics and that more equal societies are more economically successful.

I haven't read the book, but it's what "The Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better for Everyone" is about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Spirit-Level-Equality-Everyone/dp/0241954290

Hi Nagel

I bought the book but it's a very difficult read - you need more than a basic grasp of statistics to understand lots of it. Without wanting to knock the authors I don't think we can take a socio-economic model from Scandanavia (the book refers to the Scandy countries a lot) and apply their models to the UK. While I agree with the major theme of the book I don't think their arguments apply here.

Cheers,

D

'Helping the poor is not about Charity, it's about justice'

So said the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, in his New Year message to the Nation.

He also asks that everyone to try to change their bit of the world for the better.

Quite inspiring I thought, and nice to hear someone in a public position of influence say it loud and clear. Maybe some of the more hard hearted types on here will take note...

I'm sure he must donate a sizable junk of his £70,810 income and he probably lets the homeless sleep in his large house.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by the Archbishop.

Though I'm queasy about how charity is often represented on telly by programmes like 'The Secret Millionaire' where (on the episode I saw) the focus was on the magnanimity of the giver, and the recievers of the charity disn't seem to have their dignity respected.

Though I'm queasy about how charity is often represented on telly by programmes like 'The Secret Millionaire' where (on the episode I saw) the focus was on the magnanimity of the giver, and the recievers of the charity disn't seem to have their dignity respected.

I'm also queasy about the way some of the big 'corporate' charities operate. It's big business to them, with only a small proportion of the money going to the good cause. I always give to small struggling charities these days.

I also think it's sad that charity is necessary at all in this day and age. They no longer provide extras, but necessities. In 99% of cases the responsibility should be shouldered by government. Water for example is a human right, not a luxury, so why are there water charities?

Nagel is also right. Sharing resources equally, (and there is enough to go round,) would prevent a lot of conflict and improve society.

We have a food bank at work. My partner asked if I'd ever contributed to it and I was ashamed to say I hadn't. Now I just add a few extra things to my shopping and put them in the box.

It isn't a 100% altruistic act, because it does uplift my soul a little and make me feel better about myself.

Shame it has to come to this though in a Britain that spends billions on nuclear arms whilst politicians laugh and scoff at the poor and needy.

Edited by taxman

Me too. We need more clerics like him.

We have a food bank at work. My partner asked if I'd ever contributed to it and I was ashamed to say I hadn't. Now I just add a few extra things to my shopping and put them in the box.

It isn't a 100% altruistic act, because it does uplift my soul a little and make me feel better about myself.

Shame it has to come to this though in a Britain that spends billions on nuclear arms whilst politicians laugh and scoff at the poor and needy.

There's nothing wrong with feeling the joy of giving. And it's quite addictive!

There's nothing wrong with feeling the joy of giving. And it's quite addictive!

I bet it doesn't feel so uplifting to receive charity though.

I'm sure he must donate a sizable junk of his £70,810 income and he probably lets the homeless sleep in his large house.

About £22772 is what he contributes to pay for those less fortunate than himself.

---------- Post added 01-01-2014 at 21:58 ----------

I pay about half of my income to support those standing around on the street corners doing nothing and to queue behind them at the doctors and the hospital

'Helping the poor is not about Charity, it's about justice'...

I think charity is more about alleviating suffering and elevating society above a level of poverty that's not beneficial. Is it about love? I don't think so. When I give to charity or to the man selling the big issue, I don't give because I love them. I give because seeing people suffer or in a worse situation than me, makes me feel bad; their suffering makes me suffer. Helping them helps me feel better. Happy even.

He's not really said anything that hasn't been said before, but I definitely agree with him here.