Approaching a car owner who you do not know

Hi all, I've seen a Mazda MX5 down a side road that's been there for a year, maybe longer. I'ts not moved at all in the time I've seen it there, no tax ect. I'm wanting to ask the owner if they would consider selling the car. As I have the time and money to fix it up and use it for a summer car.

I don't know who the owner is, and there's various houses around the car. i don't fancy going to knock on every door to ask.

Many people said to leave a note under the wiper stating if the owner would consider selling the car to give me a ring. I thought of this, but with kids around and the weather I don't really see the owner noticing it at all.

What would be your take on this?

if you were that interested, just go knocking on doors, i would, i am sure after a few houses someone would know who owns it...

It could be abandoned yes, another reason why I didn't want to go knocking on doors. There also flats too.

Just send off for registration document in your name, the previous owner will be on it :D

I doubt that it is abandoned as the kids in the area would of trashed it by now in fact if it has been sitting therefor as long as you say I'm suprised it hasn't been damaged at the very least. I'd go and knock at a few doors although during daylight hours and not looking too scruffy less chance then of seeming threatening towards any little old dears and in daylight they get to see you clearly.

I doubt that it is abandoned as the kids in the area would of trashed it by now in fact if it has been sitting therefor as long as you say I'm suprised it hasn't been damaged at the very least. I'd go and knock at a few doors although during daylight hours and not looking too scruffy less chance then of seeming threatening towards any little old dears and in daylight they get to see you clearly.

Well if the kids know it hasn't been abandoned he should ask them as that would indicate they know something about its ownership.

There are plenty of cheap MX5's around, I wouldn't really waste time and money trying to restore something that's been stood for a year.

I've just bought a new car at £1400, but I want something to tinker with while not at work. My GTI is fast and nice enough as it is.

I've always wanted a project car and this seems like a good opportunity. Hoping the owner would let the car go for a couple hundred quid.