Shoplifters Aldi Ecclesfield

I wondered why whisky and other spirits had security tags on them and assumed it would be because of theft by alcoholics.

I wonder why heroin addicts would go for whisky and tinned salmon? I'd assume they shoplift to sell for cash to buy their drug, but tinned salmon? It's not exactly a high value item.

Salmon is usually one of the highest priced things in a tin at a grocers, they're smaller tins too. Pocket friendly. Not watched as closely as the booze. It's fairly popular & easy to sell on. When you're buying it in the pub from some scruffy smackhead you can be sure it's ok because it's tinned, but people might think twice if it was fresh meat or something.

Batteries & razors are often shoplifted too. They want relatively small & high value things, so they can carry more out.

I Remember some years ago a neighbour got arrested for pinching a calendar from w h smiths when he appeared in court the judge gave him 12 months.:hihi:

I know someone who got arrested for shoplifting in the Apple store...he claimed he was only scromping......

Salmon is usually one of the highest priced things in a tin at a grocers, they're smaller tins too. Pocket friendly. Not watched as closely as the booze. It's fairly popular & easy to sell on. When you're buying it in the pub from some scruffy smackhead you can be sure it's ok because it's tinned, but people might think twice if it was fresh meat or something.

Batteries & razors are often shoplifted too. They want relatively small & high value things, so they can carry more out.

In the USA big bottles of Tide liquid detergent have become a drug currency. Don't ask me how that works as it's baffling to me, but here's a link -

http://www.newstatesman.com/laundered-money

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 00:44 ----------

Wouldn't work these days. Too many addicts and they'd just see it as weakness and ride it for all it was worth. They need to be treated as the scum that they are.

Not sure what you mean about drug addicts seeing free drugs as a weakness which they would ride for all it was worth. Given free heroin they would take it and not bother anyone else. It would wipe out drug smuggling and drug profits.

Experience in countries which have tried it shows the treatment of addiction as an illness works better than the criminalisation of addicts. They are offered treatment as well as free (but rationed) heroin and their numbers and the rate of addiction both fall. In other words a win-win situation.

Edited by Nagel

Maybe they were stealing food to eat? I think it's sad how people automatically call them scumbags and not one person thought about the desperation and humiliation it would take to do this. Obviously never been in that vulnerable situation otherwise wouldn't be so nasty as to curse people for being at rock bottom.

Nobody needs to steal food to eat in this day and age,yes they are scum because the honest people get costed for this.

Went today for a few bits, while we were just packing our stuff away at the end some little (or big?) thieving scumbags ran out the door followed by most of the staff running after em! Don't know where all these staff came from, of course they didn't catch them but heard them say oh they haven't been in for a bit, must be a regular occurrence. I don't know how they have the nerve!!

They were caught around the corner and arrested for a salt and battery. And some Cornish pasties.

When I first started working at the co-op we had regular lifters of tinned salmon until one day we cellotaped them all together underneath and listened on the next aisle for the clatter when they tried to nick them:hihi:

:loopy: Taking a tin of salmon off the shelf is shoplifting?

In the USA big bottles of Tide liquid detergent have become a drug currency. Don't ask me how that works as it's baffling to me, but here's a link -

http://www.newstatesman.com/laundered-money

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 00:44 ----------

Not sure what you mean about drug addicts seeing free drugs as a weakness which they would ride for all it was worth. Given free heroin they would take it and not bother anyone else. It would wipe out drug smuggling and drug profits.

Experience in countries which have tried it shows the treatment of addiction as an illness works better than the criminalisation of addicts. They are offered treatment as well as free (but rationed) heroin and their numbers and the rate of addiction both fall. In other words a win-win situation.

post is 7 months old :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Low-cost/budget supermarkets tend to have low-cost/budget security to go with it. Makes them an easier target than the likes of Asda et al.

I think you are right. I live two minutes walk from Ecclesfield Aldi. I have been there many times, but not once have I seen a security guard.

I have twice seen people shoplifting in the shop I visit daily. Both times the shoplifting involve d large bags full of packets of meat and fish.

Or we could go back to the 'British System' of drug supply and control and treat addiction as an illness, rather than the American system of criminalising addicts which has been in place since ~1980 and has obviously failed.

One thing we were warned against as medical students was that we would treat an illness, and, when the treatment wasn't succeeding, double the dose and keep doubling till the patient died.

This is the basis of the "American system", when penalties for drug use fail to deter, double the penalty! Just because the problem keeps getting worse, don't assume that there is something wrong with the technique!