BBC Christmas absolute rubbish

That eastenders program is horrible every time they advertise it on TV all it is is just people arguing screaming and shouting.and people actually sat and watched that at Christmas no wonder people get depressed.

Well was looking to see what people thought of this years offerings, I have just seen a guide for the Xmas viewing and it is dire(maybe should add a few letters to that) As the paper said the other day 60+% of repeats being shown over the holiday. They don't waste much time on ITV, Downton shown on Xmas Day is repeated at 4.15 the next day. Some of the films that are on have been repeated that many times that people will be bored of seeing them.

Well was looking to see what people thought of this years offerings, I have just seen a guide for the Xmas viewing and it is dire(maybe should add a few letters to that) As the paper said the other day 60+% of repeats being shown over the holiday. They don't waste much time on ITV, Downton shown on Xmas Day is repeated at 4.15 the next day. Some of the films that are on have been repeated that many times that people will be bored of seeing them.

It's disgusting. We are subjected to ever more adverts on ITV so they should have some money in the coffers to put something decent on.

And if BBC can afford to pay talentless boring has beens a kings ransom, and spend a fortune on their new building/tv centre facilities, etc then they should get some decent programmes on. It seems the BBC's main interest is looking after themselves.

Oh, and while we're on the subject - what happens with UKGOLD, DAVE, DEJA VU, and the like? - they are constantly recycling 20 year old BBC programmes on a loop with shedloads of adverts in between - are the BBC then generating income from advertising on these channels, from showing programmes the license payer has funded? how does it work?

Edited by Mr Bloom

As the paper said the other day 60+% of repeats being shown over the holiday. Some of the films that are on have been repeated that many times that people will be bored of seeing them.

Probably because every year the broadcasters get complaints that certain favourite Christmas programmes / films haven't been shown. It's one they can never win, because show to many old programmes and people whine about there being too many repeats, and if they don't show enough then they get complaints about ruining traditional Christmas viewing.

They don't waste much time on ITV, Downton shown on Xmas Day is repeated at 4.15 the next day.

Maybe that's for people who can't watch on Christmas day?

Oh, and while we're on the subject - what happens with UKGOLD, DAVE, DEJA VU, and the like? - they are constantly recycling 20 year old BBC programmes on a loop with shedloads of adverts in between - are the BBC then generating income from advertising on these channels, from showing programmes the license payer has funded? how does it work?

The BBC get paid for the rights to show those programmes, with the additional income going to supplement the licence fee. The BBC itself doesn't own those channels (although they are partly owned by the BBC owned commercial entity "BBC Worldwide", which exists specifically to monetise BBC properties in order to top-up the licence fee).

Probably because every year the broadcasters get complaints that certain favourite Christmas programmes / films haven't been shown. It's one they can never win, because show to many old programmes and people whine about there being too many repeats, and if they don't show enough then they get complaints about ruining traditional Christmas viewing.

Maybe that's for people who can't watch on Christmas day?

The BBC get paid for the rights to show those programmes, with the additional income going to supplement the licence fee. The BBC itself doesn't own those channels (although they are partly owned by the BBC owned commercial entity "BBC Worldwide", which exists specifically to monetise BBC properties in order to top-up the licence fee).

Thank you for taking the time to answer that. That's very interesting.

Last year when I opened my presents I had a nice surprise as there was a DVD entitled Sheffield Wednesday's finest moments...as there was a load of rubbish on Tv on christmas day I thought everyone would be delighted to watch the DVD with me,my missis said that will be the shortest DVD I've ever watched so what are we going to watch for the rest of the afternoon.

BBC is rubbish on Christmas day and has been for years. I remember back in the day when they would really make an effort, now it just seems like they can't be bothered. Well I can't be bothered paying them their £145.50.

Channel 5 have a 3 hour repeat on at 8pm favourite Christmas songs, think there are three programmes that are not repeats on plus old films which have been shown many times on 5. I mean how many times do you want to watch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Scrooge?

BBC is rubbish on Christmas day and has been for years. I remember back in the day when they would really make an effort, now it just seems like they can't be bothered. Well I can't be bothered paying them their £145.50.

You have to pay £145.50 just for Christmas day TV?

Just looked at the cost of SKY TV, it ranges from £258 to £792 a year and no, I don’t subscribe to the “Evil Empire”.

Last year when I opened my presents I had a nice surprise as there was a DVD entitled Sheffield Wednesday's finest moments...as there was a load of rubbish on Tv on christmas day I thought everyone would be delighted to watch the DVD with me,my missis said that will be the shortest DVD I've ever watched so what are we going to watch for the rest of the afternoon.

Believe me, you could have got a much shorter one from a shop not a million miles from here. :)

It's disgusting. We are subjected to ever more adverts on ITV so they should have some money in the coffers to put something decent on.

And if BBC can afford to pay talentless boring has beens a kings ransom, and spend a fortune on their new building/tv centre facilities, etc then they should get some decent programmes on. It seems the BBC's main interest is looking after themselves.

That's a jolly good point. Once again the public are being ripped off so some very wealthy individuals can get richer for doing very little. They are now too rich to care anymore - what do the ordinary people matter?