BBC Christmas absolute rubbish

Did that in 2007. No regrets.

It's impossible to have a big movie premiere that most people haven't seen already.

You'd have to avoid seeing it at

The cinema

Via illegal download

Movie channels

DVD/Blu-ray

Netflix/Lovefilm

In the 1970s none of the above applied (except cinema). And even then it took at least 5 years for a film to be shown on TV, longer if it was a "biggie". That's why I can remember seeing the TV premiere of "The Wizard of Oz" (in 1975) despite being born nearly 40 years after it was made.

ITV own the rights to the Eon Bond films, not the BBC.

Don't Sky now own the rights to Bond? Every once in a while they have a Bond movie channel which shows nothing but Bond movies.

It's impossible to have a big movie premiere that most people haven't seen already.

You'd have to avoid seeing it at

The cinema

Via illegal download

Movie channels

DVD/Blu-ray

Netflix/Lovefilm

In the 1970s none of the above applied (except cinema). And even then it took at least 5 years for a film to be shown on TV, longer if it was a "biggie". That's why I can remember seeing the TV premiere of "The Wizard of Oz" (in 1975) despite being born nearly 40 years after it was made.

I think they meant TV premieres. Half the films being shown over Christmas have been shown on the same channels in the last few months. To be fair they are premiering a few. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt2 and Toy Story 3 (I think), Troll Hunter on Film4 etc.

Charlie Brooker's next on BBC2. From the Radio Times:

A shot of bile and cynicism is the perfect send off for 2013

Can't disagree with that.

Why can't the BBC fork out enough money to show films before Sky? They could have shown the Avengers on Christmas day this year! Instead we get rubbish like Eastenders and Open All Hours! Stupid!

What's going on with the schedules? Particularly BBC.

Yes I know people miss programmes and welcome the chance to catch them later, but some of the stuff has been repeated 4 or 5 times in 3 days.

In fact yesterday on BBC 1 every programme except Death comes to Pemberley and Eastenders was a repeat of something that had been on in the previous couple of days.

That's bad enough, but 'George Clark's Amazing (Christmas) Spaces' has been on 6 times in 8 days. (Tho' not BBC.)

Ridiculous. Don't tell me they can't afford to do better. They seem to have enough money for unnecessary, gigantic, over-the-top payoffs to undeserving staff. Put some of those megabucks into proper programme making that the licence payers pay for.

Why can't the BBC fork out enough money to show films before Sky? They could have shown the Avengers on Christmas day this year! Instead we get rubbish like Eastenders and Open All Hours! Stupid!

8/10 top programmes on Christmas Day were won by the BBC.

They must be doing something right.

That Eastenders "rubbish" you claim got more than 7.5 million viewers. Over a million more than ITV's lovvie fest Downton Abbey and just 100k less viewers than Corrie.

I dont think the BBC are going to be crying much about their performance.

---------- Post added 28-12-2013 at 23:42 ----------

Lets be honest here. The days of everyone gathering round the TV on xmas day for premieres and flaghship programmes are long gone.

Box sets, multi-channel platforms, streaming, on demand has changed viewing habits completely. The fact is, most people have a flick through the schedules pick what they want to watch or simply stack them up for series links.

People pick what they want to watch when they want to watch it. Very few follow schedules and do other things these days. Christmas Day is dead air. Nobody is interested until at least the late evening. People are busy. People are out. Out of a 24 hour day why would you bother filling anything more than around 6 hours of original material. Nobody is watching the other 18.

Edited by ECCOnoob

8/10 top programmes on Christmas Day were won by the BBC.

Only in a BBC run Poll in the Radio Times.

You can't really quote that as any evidence.

The Royal Institution Christmas Lectures have started with the usual high quality.

Why can't the BBC fork out enough money to show films before Sky? ...!

You are assuming that the point of the BBC is to provide entertainment. They have spent the last ten years wasting millions on competing with commercial organisations. Paying celebrities big salaries because they think they are "Talent", recruiting executives from the old boy network then giving them a million quid to resign.

The Organisation does its best to perpetuate the myth that it is a "national treasure" while in reality it is a scandalous money wasting scam which pays thousands of characters who appear to be employed because they know someone or are related to someone who already works there.

Only in a BBC run Poll in the Radio Times.

You can't really quote that as any evidence.

Actually I got it from the Guardian who quoting the source as coming directly from the official BARB figures.

Its also in the Mail, Mirror, Telegraph too but never mind eh.

Looking forward to the new series with guy martin tonight.

Hasn't BBC TV this Christmas been a load of old rubbish,hardly anything worth watching they even had flog it and boring cooking programs on,they must be really scraping the barrel,not worth the cost of the TV licences in my opinion...

The TV license is worth every penny especially to the fat cats who run the BBC, lets be fair about this how else would they get their extortionate wages, I reckon I've spent more on a weeks grocery shopping than they have spent on the rubbish they have put on their channels over the Xmas period.:suspect: