Koh Samui Thailand

they are called songthaews in Thailand love.

jeepneys here in the Philippines.

sheruts in the Middle East.

'share taxis' in South Africa.

Songthaews, that's them, it was doing my head in trying to think of the name. No elf and safety there, oh the memories:)

Thanks again guys, you have helped me decide, I was gonna book a car to pick up at airport for the duration but I'm gonna wait till we are there as I fancy the idea of a jeep for the rough terrain.

Next question relates to money am I better getting a load of baht here, don't fancy using card machines over there incase of scammers

Thanks again guys, you have helped me decide, I was gonna book a car to pick up at airport for the duration but I'm gonna wait till we are there as I fancy the idea of a jeep for the rough terrain.

Next question relates to money am I better getting a load of baht here, don't fancy using card machines over there incase of scammers

use your cards at atm machines outside the banks..

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Pages/Default.aspx or

https://www.krungsri.com/en/consumer-detail.aspx?did=166

bank of ayudhaya best rates

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 18:12 ----------

no more of a risk than here..

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 18:13 ----------

waiting for a weekly rental price for you for a jeep

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 18:22 ----------

don't get juped into renting a car from the airport or your resort go into chaweng and have a look for yourself same as booking further accommodation..look before you book...

Thanks adisorn

I looked the other day online for a basic budget car prices were around £250 for the 2 weeks which I thought wasn't bad, obviously bigger the car then more expensive and reality I won't need a car for the full 2 week, but the jeep idea for a few days sounds good from the resort.

Thanks adisorn

I looked the other day online for a basic budget car prices were around £250 for the 2 weeks which I thought wasn't bad, obviously bigger the car then more expensive and reality I won't need a car for the full 2 week, but the jeep idea for a few days sounds good from the resort.

I'm waiting for a guy to email me some prices back to give you an idea of the price of a jeep for a week.get yourself a detailed map of the area(usually in the tourist info places or the local filling stations) if you decide to go into the hills there are loads of little off road tracks that can be driven on.I spent 2 weeks on samui including a week driving the hills and mountains and hinterland of samui on a daily basis 9am till 3 pm and I must admit it was one of the best experiences I have had in Thailand.Lots of little shacks selling fruit and bbq foods amazing views refreshing ice cold spar like lagoons to take a dip in during the hot tropical climate.

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 18:47 ----------

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/12810492854568661228?q=koh+samui+map&rlz=1T4DSGO_enGB503GB503&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZGU,pv.xjs.s.en_US.EeLgqkzqnSg.O&biw=1350&bih=603&tch=1&ech=1&psi=aAXHUtqxAu-V7AbYwIDYDA.1388774757354.3&ei=agXHUuKpKIuM7AbUt4CgAQ&ved=0CFcQpiswAA

Just ordered the map. Thank you

not sure about the rates at Samui airport, but at Suvarnbhumi in Bangkok they are not bad. At least when you exit normal immigration. Will you be doing that or just going through a transit area and will not go through customs before you get your onward flight to Samui?

whatever, the rate at any exchange booth will be better than you will get in the UK. And you will need baht for taxis and every little thing, unlike Cambodia US dollars are not accepted by anyone.

ATM's are fine in Thailand, also travellers cheques are not bad there, loads of places including every single bank, accept them they only cost 33 baht to convert £100, however £200 ones would be better but they are hard to buy. American Express are the best brand.

not sure about the rates at Samui airport, but at Suvarnbhumi in Bangkok they are not bad. At least when you exit normal immigration. Will you be doing that or just going through a transit area and will not go through customs before you get your onward flight to Samui?

whatever, the rate at any exchange booth will be better than you will get in the UK. And you will need baht for taxis and every little thing, unlike Cambodia US dollars are not accepted by anyone.

ATM's are fine in Thailand, also travellers cheques are not bad there, loads of places including every single bank, accept them they only cost 33 baht to convert £100, however £200 ones would be better but they are hard to buy. American Express are the best brand.

We don't go through Bangkok, we fly to Kuala Lumper then direct to koh samui.

no overnight in KL. You are still better off picking up your baht to last you the first 2-3 days in Samui, when you initially enter Thailand and go through immigration than buying baht in the UK. Even in London, never mind Sheffield, where you will get better prices.

Just got back from Koh Samui. What a fantastic place.

Ended up staying in Ban Bo phut and 2 other places in Lamai.

Well recommend to anyone going staying at Secret Garden in Bo Phut the other two places we stayed at were Samui Beach Resort just to south of Lamai and Crystal Bay resort which was just north, hired a car went all around the island and in the mountains a real stunning island.

Just got back from Koh Samui. What a fantastic place.

Ended up staying in Ban Bo phut and 2 other places in Lamai.

Well recommend to anyone going staying at Secret Garden in Bo Phut the other two places we stayed at were Samui Beach Resort just to south of Lamai and Crystal Bay resort which was just north, hired a car went all around the island and in the mountains a real stunning island.

Why waste money on resorts/hotels.When i go over to see my dad,i get a 2/3bed house for 10,000-12,000 baht (£185-£220).You can get your own villa with pool for what you pay for an hotel.