Am i being hard on them

infact i have told them anything they leave on the floor goes to the bin

---------- Post added 24-12-2013 at 17:11 ----------

@happylady.its only fair the children do their bit.

thats what my mrs said to our children , they tried it once and then wondered why they had nothing when they came home from school !!! now they all tidy up when there told

---------- Post added 24-12-2013 at 17:11 ----------

@happylady.its only fair the children do their bit.

So did your old account get banned?

Why? My mom used to have a go at my for an untidy room, until I pointed her room was just as untidy.

It's not the end of the world if the room isn't spotless. Your guests don't go upstairs and mooch around the kid's rooms.

Making stupid threats like "anything that's on the floor goes in the bin"...I mean, my mom used to stay stuff like that, and I'd just think "Why is she being a d**k? She doesn't need to come in here and I know where everything is."

If you don't mind that your kids are probably thinking something similar about you then go for it.

[/color]@happylady.its only fair the children do their bit.

Agreed totally but why start the festivities on a sour note - new year resolutions come to mind

---------- Post added 24-12-2013 at 18:09 ----------

My kids have long since left home and I had many a conversation like this while they were kids - conclusion I came to in the end was that it was best not to venture in their rooms and shut their doors so I couldn't see the mess. The more I pushed it the more they ignored me, teenagers can be sooooooooo stubborn

parenting rule Number1

never threaten anything you do not intend to carry out (looks like your kids are in for a miserable Christmas)

Couldn't have said it better myself, this is absolutely true.

Not absolutely true

---------- Post added 26-12-2013 at 21:32 ----------

No one is born lazy its the way you are raised

It didnt take long for the parenting skills to be called into question.

Am I mean? I've told my kids christmas won't be happening in this house until bedrooms are clean.Why should they have brand new stuff to put in messy bedrooms. Things don't come free or cheap so they have to understand. I wouldn't mind but they aren't babies, I've got a 16 year old and a 14 year old who were born lazy.:(

They wernt born lazy,you made them that way.

---------- Post added 26-12-2013 at 21:47 ----------

Maybe you should have addressed it earlier instead of waiting 14/16 years....

..........Exactly!!

---------- Post added 26-12-2013 at 21:48 ----------

Not absolutely true

---------- Post added 26-12-2013 at 21:32 ----------

It didnt take long for the parenting skills to be called into question.

Well it sure cant be blamed on the neighbours!"!

They wernt born lazy,you made them that way.

---------- Post added 26-12-2013 at 21:47 ----------

..........Exactly!!

---------- Post added 26-12-2013 at 21:48 ----------

Well it sure cant be blamed on the neighbours!"!

And it cannot all be blamed on the parents Mr parent of the year, mind your step climbing down off that horse ;)

And it cannot all be blamed on the parents Mr parent of the year, mind your step climbing down off that horse ;)

you keep believing that!

It's not always as simple as some people like to think.

We have three children. Two of them were very easy to 'housetrain'; in fact, one of them, by the age of 6, was unwilling to go to bed in an untidy bedroom. Untypical, I'd say! If this inclination had continued, he would probably be suffering from some form of OCD by now. Fortunately it didn't, and he is now a pretty typical 24 year old (able to tidy up, willing to do so when asked, but not impelled to do so otherwise).

The youngest one, on the other hand, has always been a self-confessed and unrepentant slob. Whereas most kids, even teenagers and students, would prefer a tidy, ordered, environment (especially if someone else does the cleaning and ordering), he prefers mess. Despite our best efforts to reform him, he chooses to live in chaos. He is capable of cleaning (he has actually held down paid jobs cleaning kitchens, hotel rooms, etc), but he finds it boring and prefers to concentrate on things he finds more interesting and important. At school, his books and folders were equally chaotic, much to his teachers' despair. He ended up with all A*s and a First. My brother was very similar when young, only developing a preference for tidiness in his 40s (when he had children!).

They are all different and some are more receptive to being trained than others!

I agree that there are probably more important battles to win than the state of a bedroom. Just shut the door, if it offends you, and ban them from taking food up there in case it becomes a public health risk.

Edited by aliceBB

We have three children. Two of them were very easy to 'housetrain'; in fact, one of them, by the age of 6, was unwilling to go to bed in an untidy bedroom. Untypical, I'd say! If this inclination had continued, he would probably be suffering from some form of OCD by now. Fortunately it didn't, and he is now a pretty typical 24 year old (able to tidy up, willing to do so when asked, but not impelled to do so otherwise).

The youngest one, on the other hand, has always been a self-confessed and unrepentant slob. Whereas most kids, even teenagers and students would prefer a tidy, ordered, environment (especially if someone else does the cleaning and ordering), he prefers mess. Despite our best efforts to reform him, he chooses to live in chaos. He is capable of cleaning (he has actually held down paid jobs cleaning kitchens, hotel rooms, etc), but he finds it boring and prefers to concentrate on things he finds more interesting and important. At school, his books and folders were equally chaotic, much to his teachers' despair. He ended up with all A*s and a First. My brother was very similar when young, only developing a preference for tidiness in his 40s (when he had children!).

They are all different and some are more receptive to being trained than others!

I agree that there are probably more important battles to win than the state of a bedroom. Just shut the door, if it offends you, and ban them from taking food up there in case it becomes a public health risk.

Very very true aliceBB, good post btw.

The youngest one, on the other hand, has always been a self-confessed and unrepentant slob. Whereas most kids, even teenagers and students would prefer a tidy, ordered, environment (especially if someone else does the cleaning and ordering), he prefers mess. Despite our best efforts to reform him, he chooses to live in chaos. He is capable of cleaning (he has actually held down paid jobs cleaning kitchens, hotel rooms, etc), but he finds it boring and prefers to concentrate on things he finds more interesting and important. At school, his books and folders were equally chaotic, much to his teachers' despair. He ended up with all A*s and a First. My brother was very similar when young, only developing a preference for tidiness in his 40s (when he had children!).

Spot on!

I have 2 kids, brought them up both exactly the same, yet they are so very different.

Both have left home now, but when they were still with us, I used to just ignore the mess in the messy bedroom. The other bedroom was bordering on the OCD!