English Councils Record Profits Of £594 Million From Parking Charges

Yes, the council would never knowingly mislead anyone concerning parking would they . :suspect:

I think they have a jolly good go. That's why York council made over £1 million when they closed a bridge to traffic. No one deliberately drives through an enforcement camera in order to get fined. They do it because there are a dozen road signs that they can't take in during the 2 seconds they are driving by. The dozen signs are put there to confuse motorists so they will drive over the bridge and get fined.

what does my head in is why the council have to put yellow lines on every possible piece of road. an example of this is around the area of Edward street/Scotland streetand surrounding area. there are a load of little roads around that area, some which are cobble stone roads. if people park on them it wont cause any congestion or block any access, yet the council slap lines of yellow paint on all the little roads to try and funnel us into their parking zones and overpriced car park. the kelham island areas is another example of this stupid policy the council enforces. Sheffield council is anti motorists and has been since the 1990's. motorists are being treated like a cash cow like smokers and drinkers. by the way I don't drink or smoke.

Who knew we had so many stupid, selfish and arrogant people in our city. Ah well, its a good boost to the city finances which is just what we need right now.

Who knew we had so many stupid, selfish and arrogant people in our city.

The people who voted them into power at the last local elections must have known .:)

what does my head in is why the council have to put yellow lines on every possible piece of road. an example of this is around the area of Edward street/Scotland streetand surrounding area. there are a load of little roads around that area, some which are cobble stone roads. if people park on them it wont cause any congestion or block any access, yet the council slap lines of yellow paint on all the little roads to try and funnel us into their parking zones and overpriced car park. the kelham island areas is another example of this stupid policy the council enforces. Sheffield council is anti motorists and has been since the 1990's. motorists are being treated like a cash cow like smokers and drinkers. by the way I don't drink or smoke.

So much stupid in this quoted post I can't even begin to start explaining.

Paper said sheffield council made £1.7 million in parking fines last year and expect this amount to double this year!

The people who voted them into power at the last local elections must have known .:)

Well I won't be voting Labour if that's all they can rip motorists off for. The Tories seem to raise the most money off them so I'll be looking at putting my cross against a real anti-car party.

Well I won't be voting Labour if that's all they can rip motorists off for. The Tories seem to raise the most money off them so I'll be looking at putting my cross against a real anti-car party.

All parties see motorists as cash cows , thats the way it is. All you can do is recoup a bit back from the Government by saving on fuel duty , if you get my drift . ;) ( although this option is only open to us drivers of Diesel`s ) You have to play them at their own game .

All parties see motorists as cash cows , thats the way it is. All you can do is recoup a bit back from the Government by saving on fuel duty , if you get my drift . ;) ( although this option is only open to us drivers of Diesel`s ) You have to play them at their own game .

Advocating criminality again I see?

Uk councils car parking profits £594 million, Shell £8 billion, BP £10 billion. parking charges are insignificant against the profits that the oil companies make. Were do the council profits go? Not into the pockets of the shareholders but back into the council coffers to be spent on the cities.

Well thats Ok then, you’ll be pleased to know councils run seminars on how to get the most cash from parking.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10338605/Councils-using-CCTV-cameras-to-fine-motorists-to-be-made-illegal-within-months.html

You'll be more pleased know they bully peaceful disabled elderly gentleman with a serious heart conditions so they can steal their cars.

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 06:24 ----------

Who knew we had so many stupid, selfish and arrogant people in our city. Ah well, its a good boost to the city finances which is just what we need right now.

I did, they’re called Council Parking Services and employ an army of bullies AKA Civil Enforcement Officers to extract money via small minded officialdom.

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 06:43 ----------

Paper said sheffield council made £1.7 million in parking fines last year and expect this amount to double this year! = http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/business/sheffield-parking-fines-at-record-1-7m-1-6338802

So either they've forecasted next year we are all suddenly going to become atrocious at parking , or they plan to use even more over-zealous bullying CEO tactics to profiteer from motorists, I would wager its the latter.

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 06:56 ----------

And if the council offered free parking:

1. Who would pay for the enforcement officers to kerb illegal parkers?

2. How many spaces would be left for shoppers once those workers that have cars but currently use public transport to get into the city centre, either for their entire journey or from the numerous park & ride facilities.

Here are your real life answers:

1. The council wouldn't be able to afford them therefore there would be a whole host of illegally parked cars causing absolute traffic chaos & even putting lives at risk through their selfishness. Other towns have trialled it before and abandoned it because of this very reason.

2. Practically none. Far less than there actually are now whilst parking is charged for. Something that would force what shoppers the city already has out of town to places like Meadowhall.

But of course all I've just said above will go in one ear and out the other because you're so blinded by your own self-righteousness and anti-council rhetoric that you can't grasp this simple truth.

1) Of course some drivers are selfish and parking rules need to be enforced, however it isn't about safety or access anymore, it is just about profiteering.

2) Sheffield still has plenty of space for improved access and more parking (But I accept other cities don't) but as proven it is deliberately restricted to maximise profits.

* Edit - if you want people to use their cars less then the answer is to improve public transport, not find more sneaky ways to steal from motorists.

Edited by Dentzler

2) Sheffield still has plenty of space for improved access and more parking (But I accept other cities don't) but as proven it is deliberately restricted to maximise profits.

Where is this space?

Proven by whom and how?

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 08:43 ----------

I did, they’re called Council Parking Services and employ an army of bullies AKA Civil Enforcement Officers to extract money via small minded officialdom.

Fifty odd people to cover a whole city for 16 hours a day, seven days a week is hardly an "army".

Those people do a very difficult, but important job. As is well proven elsewhere, if there is no threat of enforcement, parking anarchy soon ensues.

Edited by Planner1