Does anybody know the history of Charles Clifford of CCDH fame?

Hi ...

I can't find any information about Charles Clifford ... I suspect he was a Dentist of sorts!

Brilliant, says it all ... Thanks you ... And regards to pippo!

PS I like your 'footer' ... Makes me smile every time I see it.

....I like your 'footer' ... Makes me smile every time I see it.
Me too!** . A short biography (to 1904) of Charles Clifford is in the 1905 Sheffield and District Who's Who - click here.

** I used to have all my teeth and still have most of them, but I left two behind at the Charles Clifford....:)

Thanks H ...

Interesting stuff ... Especially about The Star nams

I did not know anything of Sir Charles Clifford but l do know what the land on Tree Root Walk was in use as , it was a very large orchard & vegetable garden with a very high wall encompassing it. I am a little ashamed to say l and other 8 yr olds climbed it and stole produce, we were poor and fruit was a real luxury in those days. one of these escapades nearly landed me in trouble as whilst l was very high up a pear tree we heard the door open to reveal a rather large man with a large black beard, he immediately chased the others away but did not see me up the tree. After he ate some fruit he fell asleep in his chair, after 2 hours in one position l could hardly move, l dropped the last 6 ft and raced to freedom l shall never forget that day. The next time l was on that land was to have a tooth out it was 10 yrs later Cheers Arfer Mo

Good story Arfer … certainly the 1905 map shows the CCDH site to be undeveloped.