Bus timetable/route changes January 2014

There are changes to some bus services in Sheffield over the last weekend in January.

The headline changes are

route 17 - withdrawn, replaced by new services 19 and 38

routes 11/12 and 81/82 - merged to operate cross city providing Stannington with direct links to Moorfoot markets.

There are also timetable changes to a number of routes, mostly to improve punctuality.

New timetables, once confirmed and published, will be available to download here: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/futurechanges/

Didn't the 11/12 - 81/82 used to be the same service anyhow? It just got split and is now being remerged?

Didn't the 11/12 - 81/82 used to be the same service anyhow? It just got split and is now being remerged?

Indeed. The reason it was originally split was to make it more reliable as there is often traffic congestion in the Hillsborough area and on Ecclesall Road.

Yes, and First split the route originally under the guise of route reliability to keep to timetable, arguing that Ecclesall road and the area around main bridge gets busy. In reality it was a profits based exercise, as passengers had to pay more to catch 2 busses. If travelling across the city e.g High Storrs and Silverdale schools catchment areas didn't change and we're still based on the old routes so pupils in Stannington had to pay double and change in town to get to school. Then stagecoach bought out Yorkshire traction and a bus war for the Ecclesall road corridor commenced. First's argument about longer routes timekeeping reliability had big holes shot in it by Stagecoach, and passengers concluded that Stagecoach offered better value for money.

First approached SYPTE when they realised that stagecoach were undercutting them on fares after trying to compete with 'offers' on prices and saver tickets didn't work in firsts favour. The bus partnership was then developed so that we would avoid having to succumb to certain changes being imposed by central government that sypte and the bus operators regarded would be detrimental to their business models.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/bus-service-operators-grant-bsog-reforms

Edited by ShefStealth
correcting my tablet's auto-correct

If number 17 is being withdrawn why is there no mention of it happening on the website and why does it not provide information about the new 38 service which I presume replaces meadowhall to Hillsborough part of the current 17 route. Also no mention of the changes affecting the 11/12 and 81/82.

If number 17 is being withdrawn why is there no mention of it happening on the website and why does it not provide information about the new 38 service which I presume replaces meadowhall to Hillsborough part of the current 17 route. Also no mention of the changes affecting the 11/12 and 81/82.

The routes are only added to the list once the new timetable leaflet is published - watch that space.

Route 19 is Sheffield-Meersbrook-Norton Lees-Woodseats-Chancet Wood-Jordanthorpe

Route 38 is Jordanthorpe-Gleadless-Manor Top-Meadowhall-Hillsborough

Thanks for that, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt completely cutting out part of the route. i'll keep an eye out for the new timetables thanks. :-)

There are changes to some bus services in Sheffield over the last weekend in January.

The headline changes are

route 17 - withdrawn, replaced by new services 19 and 38

routes 11/12 and 81/82 - merged to operate cross city providing Stannington with direct links to Moorfoot markets.

There are also timetable changes to a number of routes, mostly to improve punctuality.

New timetables, once confirmed and published, will be available to download here: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/futurechanges/

The cross-city merger was mooted and rejected only three months ago.

See http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1203898- post #67 in particular.

And it's not 81/82 but 81/85.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

just found out that the 35 36 37 will no longer be serving Shirecliffe and Longley. This means when I finish work at Meadowhall I can no longer get a bus home to Longley unless I get off at Firth Park or Sheffield Lane Top and walk for 20 mins. Not nice when sometimes I don't finish until after 10pm! My other half (who is disabled)uses this bus route to travel to Firth Park and Hillsborough. I have been told that if enough people complain to the bus company about this change they might look at the decision again so please contact First Bus Group and complain! Got to be worth a try!

just found out that the 35 36 37 will no longer be serving Shirecliffe and Longley. This means when I finish work at Meadowhall I can no longer get a bus home to Longley unless I get off at Firth Park or Sheffield Lane Top and walk for 20 mins. Not nice when sometimes I don't finish until after 10pm! My other half (who is disabled)uses this bus route to travel to Firth Park and Hillsborough. I have been told that if enough people complain to the bus company about this change they might look at the decision again so please contact First Bus Group and complain! Got to be worth a try!

Do we know the route the new 38 will be taking yet?

Hello

Have the 20 and 20A stopped running? Have waited hours with others. No sign...

Hello

Have the 20 and 20A stopped running? Have waited hours with others. No sign...

Phone and ask? 01709 515151