Slow speeds cannot work out why

There have been many problems with fibre optic in this area, if the speed is not being delivered to you you can't get the top speeds wireless or otherwise.

Except, as he says in the OP and subsequent posts, he can to other devices on the same external connection.

Do you have the antenna attached to your USB wireless dongle and is it definitely plugged into at least a USB 2.0 port?

The normal speeds for 40/10 (Mbit) is 5MB down 1.25MB up.

If your other devices are getting full speeds I would point the finger at your USB dongle, internal PCI/PCI-E cards with beefy antennas are generally better for performance, those USB dongles are mainly about convenience/portability.

Yes it does, the thing is this was an intermittent problem and all i did was pull the usb connection give is a minute and then reconnect the device and it would usually just be ok again, once I have the good connection it stays good for days.

It's just getting the two communicating with each other it seems because not it's just bad download speeds all the time, but the upload is fine which I simply cannot understand.

From what I've heard those USB dongles can be prone to overheating, that might be why your unplugging it for a minute or two worked as a temporary fix. It may have just gradually cooked itself though to the point where it's now not able to receive properly, even though it can still transmit okay (that's my best theory anyway :huh:).

Have you tried using the USB dongle in your laptop to see if it is the same? if it is then I'd say your dongle is knackered.

From what I've heard those USB dongles can be prone to overheating, that might be why your unplugging it for a minute or two worked as a temporary fix. It may have just gradually cooked itself though to the point where it's now not able to receive properly, even though it can still transmit okay (that's my best theory anyway :huh:).

Have you tried using the USB dongle in your laptop to see if it is the same? if it is then I'd say your dongle is knackered.

There's nothing worse than a knackered dongle.....

Either poor wifi connection or you may have been put on a busy bandwith by your isp.

Try setting a static Ip address on your machine this can help with speed issues

Have you tied, if possible, connecting the device with an Ethernet cable and testing the speeds then?

This would at least tell you if its the speed to your Router, or the speed over your WiFi that's being crippled.

I would suspect that its WiFi, and there are LOTS of things that could cause the issues.

Mainly interference or a broken adapter.

Edited by Azrael316

If you are using Windows platform then you have a program "disc clean up" use that program to clean C drive, it will delete all the unused files, temp files, cookies, recyclebin files etc... this will help in increasing speed as well.

Hi,

exactly the same thing happened to my computer on a wired internet FTTC service.

I could get full speed on every other device via wireless but only 2Mb download on my PC unit connected via ethernet cable directly to the router.

I reset the drivers in my ethernet adapter on the PC and this fixed it.

Try checking the drivers and firmware on your wireless card and see if this helps.

weird as people putting wifi unstable i get better speed on wifi than i do hard wired

40mb dl i would complain to sky as you should get around 25mb

i was on talktalk getting average 17mb out of 40mb and complained and now left them due to fobbing me off excuse after excuse

going with plusnet on 27th dec

so hope be much better as quoting me 73mb dl

If you're getting worse speeds wired than wireless then something is wrong that you need to fix. The wire is broken or there's a problem with your network adapter and/or computer.

All DSL services (internet over your phone line) quote maximum possible speeds in their advertising, in reality you're lucky if you get much more than half their 'up to' claims. You'll do better with something that doesn't rely on your phone line or wireless, like internet over cable tv.

With wifi you should expect it to be slow, everybody uses it now, it can travel for 100m or more outside & there are only 3 non-overlapping frequencies to use in the normal 2.4ghz band. The interference from your neighbours will slow it down. USB adapters & free isp routers make it even worse than it could be. It's worth buying your own wifi router & internal wifi adapters. It's usually worth running a wire & avoiding using your wifi as much as you can, it'll always be faster & more stable than wireless.

If you have an Android phone then get the wifi analyzer app. It'll show you all the wifi networks broadcasting, their signal strength & channel, it might help you to pick a quieter channel for your wifi which will give you better performance.

Edited by anywebsite

I have the same problem yesterday 1m d/l wired and 8 on wireless rang ISP to see if there were any problems

This morning decided to fetch wireless PC and exchange it with wired one d/l went up to 22.9 I know the spare one isn't good but 23m d/l is a lot better than 1

Solution network card fubared need replacement find decent PCI one

ive changed wifi to powerline adapters

was really strugling when i changed pc

removed internal wifi to a usb dongle and got a good speed boost 4 to 12/13 meg

tried it with the powerlines and jumped another 4/5 meg

thats just normal line on talktalk download test 17/20 meg