Leeds woman may sue for being blown over

A woman in Leeds who suffered injuries after being blown over in a notoriously windy part of the city centre is considering suing either the owner of a building blamed for causing the windy conditions, or the city planners for allowing the building to be built.

I think this is disgusting greed. What do others think?

I think it's pathetic. How come it was just her that got hurt and nobody else? She's got no chance

considering we have free healthcare in the UK, she has no grounds to sue although I'm sure her greedy solicitors say otherwise.

I don't think she's being greedy, if it's the same woman who I saw on TV a few days ago I think she's got a legitimate claim. She fractured her skull as well as other injuries through no fault of her own. If I was her, I'd be doing exactly the same.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 15:08 ----------

God did it so no chance of suing!

There is no such thing as ' an act of God ' insurance companies used this phrase in the past to wriggle out of paying but nowadays they can't.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 15:11 ----------

The council have already admitted that there is a problem in that area during high winds !!!

I wouldn't think the council have a leg to stand on.

I think it's pathetic. How come it was just her that got hurt and nobody else? She's got no chance

It wasn't just her, there were a few people injured around the same area.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 15:14 ----------

considering we have free healthcare in the UK, she has no grounds to sue although I'm sure her greedy solicitors say otherwise.

She wouldn't be claiming for healthcare expenses though, its things such as loss of earnings, trauma, and other expenses incurred etc.

Edited by francypants

She's absolutely correct. The building that has caused the problem should be demolished. It has already caused one fatal accident. The woman who was blown over was pretty badly injured too.

Leeds City Council know that it is a problem. The building owners do to. It is time that someone put human life before profit for once.

The council have already admitted that there is a problem in that area during high winds so I should think the council haven't a leg to stand on.

I believe the coroner in the inquest into the man that died criticised the building and the council are now forced to close the roads near there when it is windy. Obviously it's a danger and something the planners/architects and owners should have properly risk assessed. They didn't so they have a case to answer.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

As others have said, it is known by the council and building owner there are problems with wind as a result of the building's position/design. A coroner condemned the area recently and suggested the surrounding roads should be closed on windy days. The council, I believe, complied with this request however they did not close surrounding paths to pedestrians and as a result, this woman sustained her injuries.

It's not a simple case of someone getting blown over. There are mitigating circumstances and as such, this woman has every right to seek damages, in my opinion.

A woman in Leeds who suffered injuries after being blown over in a notoriously windy part of the city centre is considering suing either the owner of a building blamed for causing the windy conditions, or the city planners for allowing the building to be built.

I think this is disgusting greed. What do others think?

Apparently the council closed the road to traffic and the wind problem that the building has created has been known about for 4 or 5 years now.

Whilst people have to take some personal responsibility, so do developers who create dangerous situations.

She wouldn't be claiming for healthcare expenses though, its things such as loss of earnings, trauma, and other expenses incurred etc.

My reason was this is the angle used in the USA and why people started suing each other. Its the reason why this has taken so long to embed in the UK and is more to do with greed than anything else.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 15:49 ----------

Whilst people have to take some personal responsibility, so do developers who create dangerous situations.

you can't predict the wind.