MML Electrification completion dates (updates 18/12/13)

Hope Valley work including Dore/Grindleford & Chinley to start May 2016 ready for December 2018 timetable change.

Midland Mainline electrification

Various MML capacity and speed improvement for December 2017

Bedford to Kettering and Corby December 2017

Kettering to Nottingham/Derby December 2019

Derby to Sheffield December 2020

"It should be noted that an efficient profiling workstream is considering all electrification projects and the outcome of this workstream may result in reprofiling the delivery dates..." ie could be delayed by the overrunning of other projects.

Routes excluded from this project, which maybe funded separately include:

ï‚· Erewash valley

ï‚· Matlock

ï‚· Sheffield to Doncaster

Sheffield and South Kirby (sic) Junction ie Moorthorpe for Leeds

Leeds and Huddersield

Capacity - train length December 2018

Source Draft delivery plan

Thanks, Annie. Great of you to relay the official word.

Thanks, Annie. Great of you to relay the official word.

My sarcasm meter has just gone off the scale :D

My sarcasm meter has just gone off the scale :D

Sorry NoUserName, I'm a little slow this morning -- did it look like I was being sarcastic? I actually just meant to say "thank you"

Cynically, I can't help noting that the Northern Hub work will all be completed in time for the December 2018 timetable changes. The last component in that project being the Hope Valley improvements.

It will take another 30 months to get a well planned and relatively minor improvement through to actually starting work in 2016. I know there's a public consultation just concluding, but surely it can't take that long to resolve outstanding issues.

Of course we all know that Northern Hub is all about the Manchester Hub and Sheffield just happens to be of peripheral interest to the economy of Manchester.

Nick Clegg is MP for one of the most affluent and well educated constituencies outside London, yet it has a railway station comprising one platform on a single line. Surely they can sort that out before 2018? Clearly Nick never needs to take a train from Dore to Manchester - or even to Meadowhall - or he'd appreciate how ludicrous it is!

What about promoting the North Midlands Hub, linking Sheffield better to Leeds, York, Nottingham, Hull, Derby and Doncaster?

A far more worthwhile cause than HS2

Post #1 says

It should be noted that an efficient profiling workstream is considering all electrification projects and the outcome of this workstream may result in reprofiling the delivery dates.

Let's try translating that into English. Try:

It's cost-effective to review all electrification projects and perhaps then change their target dates.

A far more worthwhile cause than HS2

I disagree - both should happen as Northern Hub and MML electrification is a medium term planning project and HS2 is longer term planning.

By the time HS2 opens any extra capacity created by these schemes will have been filled.

The big thing with HS2 is not just about speed, it is about creating a new main line to move long distance express services on to in order to free up capacity on the existing network for more commuter, inter urban and freight services.

Ive never liked the Midland mainline, its really slow ,and always go east coast where i live, just seems a much better service

Its always been the poor relation of the (as it was ) intercity services.

Nick Clegg is MP for one of the most affluent and well educated constituencies outside London, yet it has a railway station comprising one platform on a single line. Surely they can sort that out before 2018? Clearly Nick never needs to take a train from Dore to Manchester - or even to Meadowhall - or he'd appreciate how ludicrous it is!

Sheffield's geography dictates how few rail lines we have. Unless we went in for San Francisco style cable cars then I'd like to see where you could put rail lines. Crookes, High Storrs and Lodge Moor wouldn't be very accessible.

Post #1 says

It should be noted that an efficient profiling workstream is considering all electrification projects and the outcome of this workstream may result in reprofiling the delivery dates.

Let's try translating that into English. Try:

It's cost-effective to review all electrification projects and perhaps then change their target dates.

Thanks Jeffrey,I was wondering what all that jargon meant