Anti freeze poisoning

This isn't just about cats, it's about all pets, wildlife and maybe even children too if it tastes sweet - I vaguely remember reading something about someone who'd (innocently enough) put antifreeze into a pop bottle with disastrous consequences. Sounds like a really good idea to me.

Bit harsh I think, They would have to eat quite a lot of chocolate but antifreeze is a nasty one and not really in the owners control as it could be in a neighbors garden/driveway

Re: the bold - not necessarily. Depends on the type of chocolate and the size of the dog - a small dog can be poisoned by quite a small amount of rich, dark chocolate.

Although I agree with the sentiment of the post, the dangers of things like chocolate and grapes / raisins are often not fully appreciated

Re: the bold - not necessarily. Depends on the type of chocolate and the size of the dog - a small dog can be poisoned by quite a small amount of rich, dark chocolate.

Although I agree with the sentiment of the post, the dangers of things like chocolate and grapes / raisins are often not fully appreciated

I work at a vets and am fully aware of the chocolate dangers but a lot of time it does just cause an upset tummy, if the owner is aware and the animal goes to the vet. Antifreeze, however, does not give you a lot of time to get treatment, it is very nasty and often animals are very ill before anyone is aware anything has been ingested. I'm not saying that chocolate and grapes are not toxic but the results, in a lot of cases, are good whereas the outcome with antifreeze isn't

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 07:57 ----------

To the OP, I have clickef the link but cannot see the petition? I shall try the RSPCA site

Sorry about the link...RSPCA site is where I got info from...plus a lot of info on anti-freeze, screen wash etc.

I'm not going into it as i'll be banned yet again, but suffice to say if cat owners were as responsible as other pet owners there'd be no issue, none at all. It's just excuse after excuse with them. A parrot is a free spirit, you don't see many of them on other peoples property.

That's me done on the matter.

Good because what you're asking is silly. Owners of cats do have responsibilities yes along the same lines as a dog owner i.e. food, shelter, health and welfare but you're requiring all of them to restrict the cat to the house full stop.

I'm not going into it as i'll be banned yet again, but suffice to say if cat owners were as responsible as other pet owners there'd be no issue, none at all. It's just excuse after excuse with them. A parrot is a free spirit, you don't see many of them on other peoples property.

That's me done on the matter.

Considering that adding a bittering agent to antifreeze wouldn't inconvenience you or any other motorist in any way, it seems pretty clear that you just don't like cats. There are plenty of (safe) chemicals you can put around the border of your property if you want to keep them away. I bet you don't mind the absence of rats and mice around your property that you probably have the local cat population to thank for though, do you?

As for your point about parrots, I suggest you take a walk around some of the streets near Richmond Park next time you're in London, and count the number of green parakeets you'll see on other people's property. They probably don't have the right kind of mouth to be lapping up antifreeze, but foxes, hedgehogs, badgers etc certainly do.

The point is antifreeze has a natural sweet taste which is very attractive to cats

Actually cats do not have the capacity to taste 'sweet'

Cats actually have a lower tolerance to chocolate than dogs, so even small amounts can do harm.

The reason chocolate poisoning in dogs is more common, because they can taste it and will go after it.

it seems pretty clear that you just don't like cats.

It's irresponsible owners i have an issue with, for the record. :roll:

It's irresponsible owners i have an issue with, for the record. :roll:

What in your opinion makes for a responsible cat owner then?

Cats can be taken out on a lead instead of just been let loose to roam about, its something to think about at this time of year if you don't want them lapping up antifreeze etc...

Nice idea and people do adopt the idea but the dangers are apparent all year from poisons, road traffic, dogs, air rifles and people in general.

What in your opinion makes for a responsible cat owner then?

Those who let their animal do as it pleases, with the old excuse "It's it's nature to roam". As i've already said there are many animals who's nature it is to be free roaming, just about all of em actually, though it's only cat owners who forego their responsibilities in this area.