Why have all these trees been chopped down?

There are also a lot of limes, but unfortunately they are being left, presumably because they are set a little further back from the edge of the road and so are not considered to be a problem. A pity, since they leave a sticky mess, and are well past their best.

I know what you mean. However when the tree people have removed all the urgent problem trees, my hope is that they will come back and reshape some of the overlarge ones. Pollarded trees look extremely attractive, they are much smaller and can live 3 times as long as the equivalent standard tree.

Maybe they are just removing ones that are presenting a danger at the moment, they might do some of the other ones when the maintenance plan gets on to a more even footing.

i assume, the Sheaf Valley Park:

announcment:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/what-s-on/out-about/work-on-new-163-760-000-family-park-1-2964203

overall map from SCC

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/planning/Overall-Plan-for-Sheaf-Valley-Park--PDF--2-62MB-.pdf

old presentation about sheaf valley park

http://www.northsearegion.eu/files/repository/20121217153628_SheafValleyParkUDW.ppt

if it isnt to do with the park and its a streets ahead thing (which i doubt) then Amey's position on trees etc is here https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/report_request/plants/trees.html

they have roadshows for each area and these are the forum to discuss plans for tree renewal/removal. bu i dont think the OPs question relates to Amey.

All the trees that have been chopped down are the ones in front of the cholera monument in the second picture. No indication that they are being removed in that illustration.

If the tree's aren't causing problems with their surroundings then the next factor to consider is the age of the tree. i did a quick Google and it looks as though Horse chestnut ttree's have a life span of about 75 years when on a street they survive longer in a woodland setting.

The replacement tree's I discovered aren't going to be small saplings as I was told that Amey were very aware that smaller tree's could be either stolen or damaged so I'm going to be interested to see just how big the new tree's are going to be when they are/put in.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 18:44 ----------

All the trees that have been chopped down are the ones in front of the cholera monument in the second picture. No indication that they are being removed in that illustration.

That's on the route of the new green path which is going to be suitable for cyclists. I think because of the location of the monument and the ground in that area the path has to be routed so it has as less of a gradient as possible. It's not an Amey job it's the parks and countryside designing these new paths and I seem to remember they did ssay they would be putting up signage explaining what they were up too as they were aware nobody likes seeing tree's cleared without any sort of explanation.

Sadly, parkland trees that were planted by the City's forefathers don't give motorists much of a run-off - they are at their most unforgiving at their base.

Chopping them down and replacing them with more suitable (forever spindly?) trees further away from the road line is, indeed, part of Amey's brief.

Hang on, this doesn't sit well with the cliché that the Council is anti-motorist ...

I saw some of these notices yesterday whilst driving along Hangingwater Road, on the line of trees on the other side of the road from the allotments. They're extremely close to the road, so close that they act as natural speed limiters because you think you're going to hit one.

I have mixed feelings about mature trees on Sheffield roads. They look great on our street as they're not densely planted, but on the bottom of Carterknowle Road (for instance), they're so densely planted that it's dark and gloomy.

Edited by Nagel

Loads have gone in beauchief too really sad to see these trees disappear suspect the council have pulled a fast one so they don't have to maintain them

And on the roundabout at Meadowhead. It seems they are anti-tree as well as anti-car.

Sadly, parkland trees that were planted by the City's forefathers don't give motorists much of a run-off - they are at their most unforgiving at their base.

Chopping them down and replacing them with more suitable (forever spindly?) trees further away from the road line is, indeed, part of Amey's brief.

Hang on, this doesn't sit well with the cliché that the Council is anti-motorist ...

The trees on our road act (I think) as a bit of a frightener to motorists and so slow them down a bit. They also provide a bit of protection to the pedestrians on the pavement. The kerb is pretty undefined and quite low, so the trees act as a clear divide between road and footpath. Without them, I think some drivers will stray. I hope Amey fit proper concrete kerbs, and don't try to retain the current sunken stone ones.

I agree that the type of trees chosen is important. As an aside, I'm surprised at the trees that were planted on Hanover Way (or is it Upper Hanover Street, I'm not sure, I mean the section between Glossop Road and Ecclesall Road. For something that is fairly recent (as compared to the 100 year old plus trees in some areas) the trees in the central reservation seem to have been badly chosen - they are so wide and/or so close to one carriageway, that they need pruning just to maintain enough room for vehicles. It seems odd to pick a tree that will need regular pruning.

I see your point about the higher maintenance trees on Hanover. However I think they just get a big lop every 2 or 5 years.

They do generally look good and I don't suppose it is difficult to justify extra maintenance for a city centre location.

The big problem has always been the lack of maintenance on the 10 million other trees in the city which are lower priority. Unless SCC or AMEY employs an army of 50 tree maintenance workers it would be impossible to get right on top of the job. The sheer amount of trees in the wider city is extreme.

They have chopped a load of trees down around woodseats, saying new ones will be planted, but they havent.

Yeah one outside my house gone the notice stuck on it said it would be replaced, as this was the right time of year to plant, it'll soon be too cold won't it?

Can't understand why some have been left which look a bigger threat to my foundations, odd

Jeez ! Drove down there earlier and can't believe how they've blitzed it !

Wonder if they're going to run steps down there to link The Cholera Grounds and the new park ? Can't think of any other reason to nuke it so.

It's alright Ralge, you can fit any facts to fit an anti-council rant just by choosing your tactic:

• The council are evil geniuses who come up with elaborate expensive plans to thwart innocent motorists
  • or...
  • The council are incompetent idiots whose every scheme goes disastrously wrong, and its the innocent motorist who suffers

you can't just plonk a new tree in where an old one has been felled.

Ok, was just saying :(