Why have all these trees been chopped down?

They look like lime and sycamore trees to me, judging by the shape of the leaves.

Probably been chopped down by the brilliant Health and Safety bods, who regard them as a clear and present danger (in their own little fantasy worlds, bless 'em).

The leaves could easily fall onto a squirrel causing a temporary moment of madness ... whereby, it runs onto the pavement and is seen by a cat, which in turn races across the road (not using a pedestrian crossing!) to eat the aforementioned squirrel, and is narrowly missed by a motorist who swerves to avoid it ... unfortunately dealing a fender bending demise to the little old lady taking photographs of squirrels in their natural habitat (sycamore and lime trees being favourites). :roll:

Either that, or the trees are obscuring the lamp post, which is probably due for renewal.

They have chopped a load of trees down around woodseats, saying new ones will be planted, but they havent.

Same story outside my house and along Firth Park Road. Not even cut down at ground level. Sticking out of the grass verge be a good 18"!

They took one of those magnificent Sycamores down on Sheldon Rd , Nether Edge the other day...........

I really hope it's just an isolated project and they're all not going to be felled :/

Renewable fuel, probably privet hedges next.

there is nothing magnificent about a sycamore. They are weeds which grow prolifically in our climate. Sycamore and Lime trees should never have been planted here in the first place. They are forest trees for a start, and not native to this part of England.

As that's the area of the arboretum i wonder if they are to be replaced with rarer specimens ? I know it's across the road from the actual area but now's the time to be planting bare root replacements. Hope so.

They have chopped a load of trees down around woodseats, saying new ones will be planted, but they havent.

you can't just plonk a new tree in where an old one has been felled.

Perhaps all you people who have noticed this could email your local councillor and find out what the official answer is, saving us from either guessing or relying on alcoblog, who is probably correct, but not an official source of information!