Cyclists on the wrong side of the road

You sure the nutter wasn't you? :suspect:

Carlsberg don't do usernames, but ...

Carlsberg don't do usernames, but ...

I work for Carlsberg.

I cycled down on one of these systems and had the pleasure of some idiot running up and ranting at me for allegedly cycling against the traffic. My response was a dignified smile.

QUOTE]

The problem with these cycle lanes is most people don't understand how they work. I've seen bus drivers shouting at cyclists who are legally cycling in the right areas (like the one at the bottom of the Moor). People walk on the half pedestrian/half cycle lanes near the Central Library and tut when a cyclist comes down. A good TV campaign might help to educate people.

The problem with these cycle lanes is most people don't understand how they work. I've seen bus drivers shouting at cyclists who are legally cycling in the right areas (like the one at the bottom of the Moor). People walk on the half pedestrian/half cycle lanes near the Central Library and tut when a cyclist comes down. A good TV campaign might help to educate people.

The Surrey Street/Pinstone Street contraflows are a nightmare - pedestrians see a one way street so dart out suddenly without looking, and buses overtaking ones at the bus stops drive down across the line head-on. And on Surrey Street, cars double park in it forcing cyclists out into the other side

Which incidentally seems a faulty road design as the cycle lane separates a parking space from the main carriageway, yet is a mandatory cycle lane meaning that it is technically illegal to park in the parking spots as doing so means crossing the solid line and driving in the cycle lane

But that aside, I have seen a few salmoning down main roads - the worst one was down London road, adding to the confusion by having a flashing red light to the front at night.

I'm not one for regulation and registration, or any other barriers to cycling, but perhaps we do assume that people know the basics or attribute everyone with common sense that they don't have. I am sure some cyclists do genuinely think that they are pedestrians on a bike, where rules are advisory, rather than pilots of vehicles

Common sense & a sizable minority of cyclists doesn't usually go together.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon recently? Twice in the last week or so I've seen cyclists going against the flow of the traffic. Now I thought cycles were counted as traffic and supposed to go in the same direction as everyone else, but setting aside any legal questions isn't this just really, really dangerous? I almost knocked one off his bike on Ecclesall Road last week, I'd parked and checked behind me before opening my car door but wasn't expecting anyone to be coming at me from the other direction, and narrowly avoided taking out a cyclist going the wrong way. Then today I saw another one on London Road, he too had a near death experience when someone turned left directly in front of him. If I had knocked the guy over with my car door last week, whose fault would it have been?

They think that the law doesn't apply to them.

I saw a cyclist going the wrong way round the Charter Square roundabout once. It was around freshers week, he was that sort of age and Chinese.

The one on London Road today was Chinese but not of student age, the other one was white.

While I'm here, what does the team think of skateboarders on main roads? I see them from time to time, should they be on the roads at all?

They think that the law doesn't apply to them.

Who do? Please tell me you're not so stupid as to think that all cyclists think alike?

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 07:33 ----------

Just to balance it, at the bottom of Queens road yesterday we met a car, a bus and a cycle all oncoming against their red cross as we were in the 3rd lane that had a white arrow for us. Nice.

Who do? Please tell me you're not so stupid as to think that all cyclists think alike?

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 07:33 ----------

Just to balance it, at the bottom of Queens road yesterday we met a car, a bus and a cycle all oncoming against their red cross as we were in the 3rd lane that had a white arrow for us. Nice.

Happens ALL the time there. Or conversely, a motorist sitting in the third lane when the contra flow is only allowing two lanes on Queens Road.

I don't think that sort of road design would be allowed under modern guidelines. Too high a risk of an idiot causing a head on collision.

The best I saw, a few months ago, was a lad, of student-ish age, on a push-bike "cycling" past Saccomando's Garage down the incline towards Commonside. He was operating a tablet at the time. With both hands. So, travelling at 20mph+, on a busy road with a lot of traffic negotiating various junctions, with no control of his bike, and not looking where he was going.

His argument would probably be, if he's still alive, that it doesn't say anything about not using tablets while cycling in the Highway Code...

A few weeks ago I was driving along Norfolk park road past the goals 5 a side centre heading towards Granville road.

When coming the other way was some nutter on a pedal bike going the wrong way (at speed) down a one way street, I slowed down when I realised this guy wasn't intending to stop, he squeezed past my car and the parked cars clipping my wing mirror on the way past.

Luckily no damage was done, but this guy could quite easily have lost control and hurt himself.

i really do hope you arent referring to somewhere about here. the point that the road becomes one way eastbound....apart from a contraflow cycle lane

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Norfolk+Park+Road,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.372807,-1.431527&spn=0.000051,0.055575&sll=53.48139,-1.343962&sspn=0.286028,1.327972&oq=norfolk+park+road&hnear=Norfolk+Park+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S2+2RU,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.37281,-1.45505&panoid=8LIqdQRSYS8Ea8UMtFrmqg&cbp=12,233.2,,0,1.27

See that deadend sign - except cyclists?

if you were driving up the other way, you would have seen these signs:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Norfolk+Park+Road,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.371552,-1.459465&spn=0.000051,0.055575&sll=53.48139,-1.343962&sspn=0.286028,1.327972&oq=norfolk+park+road&hnear=Norfolk+Park+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S2+2RU,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.371576,-1.459341&panoid=AjAUku6aH5pIH_h-tmz6DQ&cbp=12,60.53,,0,6.36

thats the one that says whilst traffic goes one way, cyclists can go the other.

obviously, you must be talking about somewhere else, somewhere where a cyclist was indeed travelling in a direction they shouldnt have been. i just cant think where else you could mean.