Woolworths Haymarket early 70s

Did you work there in the early 70s, I worked there for 6 months on the doughnut and baked bread counter.Left because of having to work till 6 o clock on Saturdays, being a young teenager at the time it interfered with my social life. Penny.

hi just seen your post used to work Saturdays in 1969/1970 put me on plants spent all day cleaning bag ledges due to soil falling through counter, supervisor came round continually checking they were clean, remember finishing at 6pm.earning £1.05p going home then going back to town to spend it in pubs .went back to work there in 1975 in credit office but didn't stop long

hi just seen your post used to work Saturdays in 1969/1970 put me on plants spent all day cleaning bag ledges due to soil falling through counter, supervisor came round continually checking they were clean, remember finishing at 6pm.earning £1.05p going home then going back to town to spend it in pubs .went back to work there in 1975 in credit office but didn't stop long

Hi did you work in the basement, don't remember plants being on ground floor or am I mistaken, think I only used to get £6 something a week. Also when I started it was still pounds shillings and pence, all adding up had to be done in your head, not allowed to use notepad and pen to jot things down!

yes the dreaded basement sometimes got moved on to stationery wow that was great it was such a long day had to be a your counter by 8.45 and not leave till 6 they switched escalators off so by time you got up to 3rd floor to get your coats it was nearly 6.30 by time you got. bus

I started working there as a school leaver in July 1969 and worked on the babywear counter. Worked there about 1 year.

I loved Woolworths in the Haymarket. My mum used to buy half a yard of ribbon from the haberdashery to put in my hair as a treat. Then later about 1975 i used to have a saturday job in the Sheaf market and go and spend my 75p wages on make up in woolworths and then pay the 2p bus fare home!! The food hall was upstairs i think and on the ground floor there were lots of counters with individual tills and I can remember the Woolworths down the moor had a cafe but I cant remember one in the haymarket.

I remember that the floorboards used to creak as customers walked around.