Upset stomach dog

Try giving charcoal biscuits at bedtime, that worked really well for my GSD who was exactly the same

Our lurcher does this sometimes in early mornings, but it's just when for whatever reason her stomach has become too empty I think, she's always fine after she's eaten something...

@justsheps

charcoal biscuits! never heard of them, i'll have a look for them

@vwkittie

yeah i've heard that too, we now give her smaller but more meals though the day...an last one late at night.

fingers crossed, shes not been sick an we've been feeding her chicken...tried her on Lily's kitchen dog food but she wont even touch it :/

You can get charcoal biscuits for Pets at Home, and I believe Denes do one too, what about Burns complete we have had good results with our GSD's digestion problems with that.

yep, got some samples of Burns complete when she started with the problems...

she seemed to like them at first, so bought a bag then she wouldn't eat it! so i now mix a few with her chicken, but she seems to eat around them lol

defiantly going to get some charcoal biscuits though..

but shes still not been sick :)

Can I be blunt? don't waste money on the vet, unless there is something else that is symptomatic and recurring there is not a lot wrong. Dogs that get older can get weaker stomachs, I had a clumber that was always sick in the morning from about 10 years old onwards. My current clumber is sick on occasion (7yo), it is just something that happens. I also think it is more common in certain breeds, with the clumbers I am fairly sure it is related to the amount of loose hair they must digest as they shed all the time.

Changing diets might help, but we tried that with the older clumber and it didn't make any difference. The raw feed option is a good idea (much closer to a dogs diet) but a lot of hassle for you and frankly, very stinky. We fed a dog on raw feed for a while and it caused all sorts of unwanted.... bowel smells.

no i don't mind you being blunt lol

shes only a little over 3, an i really don't like taking her to the vet...shes a different dog when we go to vets

i'm not sure if its fear or what but last time we were there she growled at the vet! an barked at everything that moved, which is really unlike her...

but there's also other problems that can come from a dog being continuously sick everyday in the mornings, the excess acid can damage their oesophagus, throat an stomach...

so i'd rather get to the bottom of it... before it may causes any other problems..

but its like day 5 with no meds an still no sickness :)

Dogs usually vomit in the morning because the stomach has been empty for too long and they regurgitate bile. This is why the current thinking is that dogs need at least two meals per day. Giving a few biscuits at night is a good idea.

Burns food contains a lot of cereal and fillers which dogs do not have much use for. They are meat eaters so you should look for a food that has this as the first ingredient and contains meat in the region of about 50%. These are, unfortunately the more expensive ones like Applaws and Orijen but you may not have to feed as much. The video

explains this. I give NatureDiet because it has a high quantity of meat, vegetables and only a small amount of carbohydrate. It is ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs and if you were to try it you could put a little inside a Kong in the evening for your dog to chew on.

Could you possibly adjust the meal times so that they are more spread out? Perhaps the last one about 6pm? Also, as soon as you wake, it may help to immediately give something to eat. When this has occurred with mine, I find that a biscuit or something like that soon stems the problem.

Edited by ccit

yes we've changed her feeding times, how much she eats an what she eats (smaller meals more often) last meal about 9pm i found seems to help...

Dogs usually vomit in the morning because the stomach has been empty for too long and they regurgitate bile. This is why the current thinking is that dogs need at least two meals per day. Giving a few biscuits at night is a good idea.

Burns food contains a lot of cereal and fillers which dogs do not have much use for. They are meat eaters so you should look for a food that has this as the first ingredient and contains meat in the region of about 50%. These are, unfortunately the more expensive ones like Applaws and Orijen but you may not have to feed as much. The video

explains this. I give NatureDiet because it has a high quantity of meat, vegetables and only a small amount of carbohydrate. It is ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs and if you were to try it you could put a little inside a Kong in the evening for your dog to chew on.

Could you possibly adjust the meal times so that they are more spread out? Perhaps the last one about 6pm? Also, as soon as you wake, it may help to immediately give something to eat. When this has occurred with mine, I find that a biscuit or something like that soon stems the problem.

Kong is a good idea, we put as much of our dog's breakfast as will fit in a kong and freeze it. She has this during the course of the day to spread the food out and it does seem to help.