Upset stomach dog

hi

my dogs been having trouble with acid reflux and indigestion, an its always seems to be in the morning...

shes gets restless an goes out to eat grass until shes sick (which is just bile no food)

the vet put her on antacids which seemed to help alot, but also made her a bit drowsy....she stopped the antacids now because she was doing good

but this morning she was out eating grass again!

i'd rather not go down the medication route it i can help it though

tried changing her food, smaller more often meals, a few biscuits at night....

has anyone had any experiences with this?

what food would you recommend?

or any info would be appreciated

thanks tomy

I haven't, sorry. But my dog eats grass like a sheep, and he never has any problems.

Lots of dogs do eat grass to help puke up whatever is bothering them.

tbh if the vet can't find a fault we'd all be guessing.

try starving her for a day, or replace biscuits/meat with some scrambled egg or plain pasta or chicken.

I have no experience of this problem but this website seems a bit helpful.

Has your vet done any tests to find out if there's an underlying problem? If not, I would suggest seeking a 2nd opinion and asking for a specific test to be carried out, like a complete blood count - as suggested in the above web link.

If you think it is food, seek advice from a knowledgeable source and consider raw feeding. Vets won't recommend raw feeding but I have never heard a bad word about it and have heard it's good for dogs with sensitive stomachs.

If there is a chance that the problem that originally caused the sickness has now been relieved/cured and the eating grass to be sick is now a habit I would consider something like artificial grass. It really cannot be good for her to keep making herself sick :( poor girl.

thanks i'll have a read of that link...

an no, the vets did no bloods just a quick feel of her tummy an gave me some antacids..

i might have to get a third opinion (shes seen two) an some bloods done if she doesn't improve

we've tried feeding her chicken an rice but she was on the antacids too, so not sure if it was the antacids that were just helping an not the type of food she was eating, i'll stock up on chicken an try her again without the antacids.

i don't think shes eating grass out of habit

an i will take a look at the raw feeding, i have heard of this, but wouldn't know were to start with raw feeding? do you know any useful websites for raw feeding?

well shes not been sick for just over a week, an its not a everyday thing when she is...its like she has bouts of it..but this morning she woke me up an went straight out to eat grass....i thought oh no not again! but she wasn't sick.

she seems happy an playful the rest of the day it just seems to be build up of acid while shes sleeps

I would ask for a blood test or something. That website suggested an ultrasound too but it might be one of them tings where it takes a while to get to the bottom of.

I have never fed raw myself but lots of people on here do and if you search this forum I think you will find old threads about raw feeding and suppliers.

Is it just sickness or loose stools too . Does she drink out of puddles or streams etc.

---------- Post added 15-12-2013 at 19:57 ----------

You say a few biscuits at night ?take her off all biscuits and just try chicken , tuna rice etc for a week see how she goes eliminate foods for a while which she is on see if it makes a difference but give it a few days . Not all dogs take to the barf diet if used to being fed biscuits etc so it will be trial and error for a while

just sickness, stools are fine

i've never seen her drinking out of puddles or anything, in fact when it raining i have to kick her out, she hates being out in the rain lol

Okidoki I would go back to basics no biscuits or wheat based products . Just natural food . Chicken . Rice tuna etc and see how you Go on that and maybe start introducing the food you normally feed in small amounts and see if the sickness starts again unless it already has with the chicken etc.i had the same with my Lad couldn't get him on the barf diet not the slightest bit interested but eliminated fools till I sorted him it's just trial and error keep a check on everything your feeding you will soon see if it's right or not with what you give them

food diary sounds like a good idea!

thankyou

No probs it's just well worth keeping a check on everything you give her or maybe even where she has been and that way by looking back you will build up a better picture keep us posted def would take her off the biscuits for a start good luck and as I say let us know the outcome all the best j

I haven't, sorry. But my dog eats grass like a sheep, and he never has any problems.

Likewise, ours graze and put sheep to shame with the amount they scoff at times.

We had a Shepherd that used to crave grass but was never sick on it and attributed it to something lacking in her food. She licked her lips incessantly at such times but carried on as normal after a chomp in the garden.