Indigestion after eating bread

7 minutes ago, Janus said:

After more than 14 months of acid problems, I've  finally gone back to getting bread from the instore bakery at Tesco. I'm  starting to feel a bit better. 

In this example, the intended use by date is the day after purchase. With such a short "shelf life" there is no need to put the chemical preservatives in, and all the other additives .  There is even palm oil in some of the pre packed branded loafs.  Have a look  at the list of ingredients on the wrapper.

There are loads of additives in the branded bread. Even chemicals to facilitate bypassing any 'stand time' of the bread prior to baking. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-shocking-truth-about-bread-413156.html

Hi Janus.

Why not try sourdough? The fermentation process makes the bread much more digestible. I struggle massively with normal bread, but sourdough goes down fine.

There are plenty of small bakeries in Sheffield that make lovely sourdough bread. Tesco’s also do an excellent sourdough loaf for £1:60.

6 hours ago, badab1ng said:

genetically modified flour is the problem.

Is there any evidence for that assertion or are we just supposed to accept it because you say so?

Thank you Pettytom for that suggestion.

I like the taste of the sour dough. I used to get it from the little Tesco  express occasionally. I'll see if the large Tesco extra  in town can slice their sour dough loafs up.

6 hours ago, Janus said:

Thank you Pettytom for that suggestion.

I like the taste of the sour dough. I used to get it from the little Tesco  express occasionally. I'll see if the large Tesco extra  in town can slice their sour dough loafs up.

My pleasure.

Let us know how you get on.

It sounds like it may be gluten intolerance but, as already advised by many, it's a good idea to discuss with your GP.  In the meantime, there are far more effective reflux remedies, than Rennies,  that you can buy over the counter.  Your pharmacist can advise you on those.  

On 15/12/2013 at 17:50, taxman said:

Slightly off topic but I've recently been cutting down on bread and have managed to shed more than a stone in weight. I've also increased my exercise but my main change food wise was not having sandwiches in the evening, not having bread with every lunch and not finishing some of the bread we do eat in one sitting, but saving it for another meal or freezing it.

It is a bind but can be done. I do have rye-vita and cottage cheese occasionally which I can cope with but not all the time. In the past if I'd some leftover pasta bake or chilli to take for lunch I'd invariably take a pita to have with it. Unnecessary really so I've stopped.

Good for you Taxman.   I cut down on bread a while ago and it made a big difference to my weight too.  I do miss it though.  I think it's one of life's simple pleasures!