Indigestion after eating bread

My first thought was coeliac. Quite common, but as others have said you need to check with the Dr. You cna get gluten free bread although its expensive or you cna make your own.

Here is the NHS link.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Coeliac-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

See if it sounds similar?

The point is protte that you need to get it checked out with a Dr.

Edited by 999tigger

Cheers Tigger and cheers all. I've read a little about gluten intolerance but my symptoms start and end with the reflux (as severe as it is). I'll cut out the bread (might try gluten free) and see the GP..... and have green eyed envy when I next see someone scoffing a cheese baguette.

---------- Post added 16-12-2013 at 00:13 ----------

Dave - yr wraps suggestion is one I will try too.

The person I know who has reflux when she eats bread has found that she is far less affected when she eats the bread toasted, so for her it's clearly nothing to with the wheat or gluten in the bread. I would suggest discussing this with your GP too, but don't assume that this is automatically some huge illness- some people just get reflux with bread like my OH does with onions.

I have chosen to avoid wheat because I've found that my arthritis is less debilitating. It's not easy as I really used to enjoy crusty bread, but for my lunch I will have a plate of cold meats with cheese or salad and if I crave carbs I'll have a handful of crisps or tortilla chips. I have also found that my energy levels have risen. It's hard as Mr Godzilla loves pasta, but when I do a spag bol. he has the regular pasta and I do myself a wheat-free alternative.

message to Pritstick

I experience exactly the same issues recently  as you described on here.  I have returned to eating any type of bread bought from small bakery's although they are very expensive they taste better, fill you up longer and generally my stomach feels much more settled.

A good few years ago a supermarket took over our town and our friendly family business loss their business all due to the price and convenience of buying under one roof.  I met the owners wife  in town and said how I was saddened at loss of a long standing family run bakery. I  was shocked by her response. Her response was we were staying open all day with hardly many coming in because of the new supermarket  (so much for loyalty I thought)  it's offers then were buy 2 loaves for more savings and it was hitting hard. She said people don't know what they're doing to themselves eating bread made the way it is I was interested  and so she went onto tell me the process.

She said why do you think we are up at 3  am in the morning....because real bread does and should take that long to process...she explained of a lengthy process using nothing more than natural ingredients....and then after all this process the dough has to sit to prove for several hours for the yeast etc to make the dough expand before it can go into the oven....that made me realize the work that goes into a simple product like bread!!!! She then said you see the supermarkets and factories make bread much faster by adding chemical ingredients to prove the bread without half the process and it doesn't have to sit so it can be baked sooner and so faster than it takes to make a proper old fashioned style of bread...she said people don't realise what they're putting into their stomachs and what it will do to them!!!! That has stuck with me for absolutely years and I've followed the sheep off to supermarket as yes it's so much easier than going to a street bakery  until now that is  because I am suffering with upset stomach and indigestion and I've noticed it's after I have had bread from supermarkets....the last loaves I bought from a supermarket bakery were practically wet in the middle and lost their form when being sliced  as so soft and doughy and the last time I toasted some it went crisp and broke as I put spread on it then it went to powder in my mouth... how can this be bread and how can it sustain us until next meal....there was no substance to it ......I suggest people to go and buy a little  loaf from a bakery and one from a supermarket and compare....who know what illnesses could be caused by eating all this rubbish we are encouraged to buy....I see the difference of what is released on my foreman grill with outdoor bred bacon 6 slices actually bought  from lidil!!!!!  hardly nothing comes off them but   supermarket packs more for far less money  like 12 slices and I get fat and loads of salty water off it  and it doesn't smell nice . I've got to the point I'd rather pay for less quantity of a  quality product than pay less for more quantity of rubbish food. We should perhaps go backwards to the way our parents ate...less amounts but naturally produced but more nourishing. I fear for health of young children on the diets of today what will they be suffering in 20 or 30 yrs. Well I've insisted for the 3 rd year running on having an outdoor bred turkey crown and it will be better meat  than all those poor forced animals yes less quantity but I'm doing for my health and to support those who believe in providing good quality food. 

Thanks for reading hope it's enlightened you. S 

On 15/12/2013 at 16:31, WeX said:

I know this may be a personal question but, have you put on weight recently? visceral fat causes pressure on your stomach which pushes the acid up the gullet and causes heartburn and acid reflux.

This rings true to me,  I had a hamstring problem about 18 months ago, before this I used  to do walks  4 or 5 times a week only 3 mile or so but when this happend I obviously packed it in and put on about 16 pounds .  Then just a few months ago I started to get a dull pain to the left of my lower ribs and when  I reach  or sit down quickly god!  Ill feel as though Im gonna have a heart attack.  

Acid reflux can also be caused by any prescription drugs you are on. 

Guest makapaka

Bread is bad for reflux.

I have started going to my local bakery and getting my bread from there it’s a little bit more expensive but well worth it 😊 

Guest makapaka
On 08/12/2019 at 17:23, PRESLEY said:

This rings true to me,  I had a hamstring problem about 18 months ago, before this I used  to do walks  4 or 5 times a week only 3 mile or so but when this happend I obviously packed it in and put on about 16 pounds .  Then just a few months ago I started to get a dull pain to the left of my lower ribs and when  I reach  or sit down quickly god!  Ill feel as though Im gonna have a heart attack.  

It’s amazing how better you feel for losing weight.

ive only lost a stone in last couple of months and feel like a different bloke.

less tired - less out of breath etc.

gonna try for another off!

If you cut down on bread, you'll probably lose weight anyway.  I find I can tolerate flat breads better than supermarket sliced loaves.

After more than 14 months of acid problems, I've  finally gone back to getting bread from the instore bakery at Tesco. I'm  starting to feel a bit better. 

In this example, the intended use by date is the day after purchase. With such a short "shelf life" there is no need to put the chemical preservatives in, and all the other additives .  There is even palm oil in some of the pre packed branded loafs.  Have a look  at the list of ingredients on the wrapper.

There are loads of additives in the branded bread. Even chemicals to facilitate bypassing any 'stand time' of the bread prior to baking. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-shocking-truth-about-bread-413156.html