Right clickable images

The only 100% sure way that only people you approve of see your photos is not to post them online. Even then someone else may.

If you are concerned about privacy of the photos you could set up a gallery package on your website and use password protect features of the gallery software you choose. I am of course assuming this is a request thinking of "protecting" the children.

If you are asking in order to protect the copyright of the image, there really is little you can do short of embedding some sort of copyright notice on the photo (eg watermark).

Easiest way is to use javascript, associate a right click event handler with image tags and have it return false, also use javascript to load the images after the document is in the browser so if they turn javascript off they don't get the images at all.

This will do what you are asking

But it's completely useless as the images will still be in the browsers cache and be accessible directly, or the user could look at the browser source code and find the image link and download it directly or any of 1001 more inventive solutions, meanwhile you've broken the context menu.

Personally I would suggest you don't show the faces of the children

Put a faint but visible watermark of your website URL across the middle of the images, people are less likely to want images with other peoples' websites spashed across them because their visitors will know they've nicked them from another website.

It doesn't matter what tricks you use to upload images to a website they can be grabbed easily, a simple print screen and crop in an image editor can get around even the most advanced methods.

Edited by MickM

Clicking TOOLS - PAGE INFO - MEDIA in Firefox gives you access to download any image which has appeared in the browser.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions; I'll take a decision on this after finding out more information on the do's & dont's from an appropriately qualified contact.

I didnt know what I didnt know and needed to know so I felt it would be useful to ask for guidance on the tehcnical feasibility from people who were most likely to know.

The person who initiated this query made a comment on the use of photographs of children in schools and is full of their self-importance so I felt it was wiser to check the technical viability of their advice and see where that leads me.

Nuff said :thumbsup: Tx

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 01:25 ----------

If your website is professionally developed and you are paying for their expertise, why aren't you asking them to deal with this request? As others have said, disabling right click would not prevent images being saved anyway. Most modern computers have the snipping tool and if not the equivalent can be obtained as a free download. PrintScreen does the same thing.

I have just checked the NSPCC and Save the Children websites and all the images of children on there are right-clickable so it is clearly not something that is legally required. What exactly is your problem? The whole thing sounds quite odd IMHO. :confused:

Never thought of asking them to be honest. Having read everything you guys have posted, I guess they're likely to say the same so there's no point in wasting their time on something that is obviously a time-waster :)

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 01:27 ----------

Put a faint but visible watermark of your website URL across the middle of the images, people are less likely to want images with other peoples' websites spashed across them because their visitors will know they've nicked them from another website.

It doesn't matter what tricks you use to upload images to a website they can be grabbed easily, a simple print screen and crop in an image editor can get around even the most advanced methods.

Less bothered with copyright issues although that's an issue for professionals - sadly I'm not in that class.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 01:28 ----------

Easiest way is to use javascript, associate a right click event handler with image tags and have it return false, also use javascript to load the images after the document is in the browser so if they turn javascript off they don't get the images at all.

This will do what you are asking

But it's completely useless as the images will still be in the browsers cache and be accessible directly, or the user could look at the browser source code and find the image link and download it directly or any of 1001 more inventive solutions, meanwhile you've broken the context menu.

Personally I would suggest you don't show the faces of the children

Way beyond me - got my head whirling around like your avatar in my attempts to just figure that lot out :( but if it's unworkable I guess that's an immediate relief. :)

The person who initiated this query made a comment on the use of photographs of children in schools and is full of their self-importance so I felt it was wiser to check the technical viability of their advice and see where that leads me.

Now it is clear why the post was made. The person is worrying about things unduly and probably doesn't understand computers very well. Maybe you could reassure them that such measures are not necessary as long as all participants are in agreement that their images are used. Also, the person needs to be made aware that technically it is a non-starter anyway.

If it is a school or children's club, one way round it is to give each parent a consent form to sign and if they choose not to sign it, then that child's image is not used on the site or newsletter. It is worth considering doing that anyway. There are reasons why parents might choose not to have their child's image reproduced, one being the risk of identification by estranged members of their own family.

Edited by ccit

Yep, Ccit has it spot on with the consent forms.

This may be of some help:

http://www.wwjltd.com/index.php/blog/item/required-content-of-school-websites

And have a word with the Network Manager of your local secondary school, or whoever is responsible for the media & web presence. They'll be able to let you know the guidelines that they're given from the council & child protection agencies.

Its a lovely minefield, enjoy!

We've got all these safeguards in place thanks; just the technicalities, viability and feasibility of right clicking images which prompted my query here.

Re the so-called advisor, I think they're unlikely to listen to sound advice when it's dished up to them with champagne.

It would be interesting to know why this person thinks that it is desirable to disable right click. If it is all about child protection, then it serves no useful purpose whatsoever. Despite what we read in the press, the majority of child abuse takes place within the family and immediate family circle so it is hard to understand why they would correlate the saving of images of children going about their daily business with any risk.

It might be helpful to get him or her to fully explain what it is that they are actually worried about and perhaps to include some more training in child protection issues.

Edited by ccit

or just tell them they need further training before they are allowed to contribute to technical projects again.

It would be interesting to know why this person thinks that it is desirable to disable right click. If it is all about child protection, then it serves no useful purpose whatsoever. Despite what we read in the press, the majority of child abuse takes place within the family and immediate family circle so it is hard to understand why they would correlate the saving of images of children going about their daily business with any risk.

It might be helpful to get him or her to fully explain what it is that they are actually worried about and perhaps to include some more training in child protection issues.

More child protection training is certainly on our agenda and as we reached a shared understanding that silence is golden and ever more shall be so :) it is unlikely they'd share their concerns with me /accept my feedback on anything - their loss.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 21:17 ----------

or just tell them they need further training before they are allowed to contribute to technical projects again.

That's been said - but their lack of humility knows no bounds.

More child protection training is certainly on our agenda and as we reached a shared understanding that silence is golden and ever more shall be so :) it is unlikely they'd share their concerns with me /accept my feedback on anything - their loss.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 21:17 ----------

That's been said - but their lack of humility knows no bounds.

Sounds like your best bet is to go into meetings armed with research supporting your viewpoint such as "Advice given on this child protection website says...", "Having spoken to schools/etc. that have similar issues with their websites they recommend...", etc. When that person can only reply with bluster at least everyone else in the meeting will know who knows what their taking about and can make decisions accordingly.