Why did the steel works go under?

When I visit Sheffield I see vast areas of once productive factories now all gone replaced with Retail outlets and Warehousing for imported goods.

Even looking at companies still operating we can see those companies now bought out and run from overseas investers , who can claim our expertise and at a whim close down a factory and produce the products in a country with lower overheads.

There are companies owned by Finland, Japan, India, USA predominent in control of major steel makers, but the prominent medium sized engineering producers of products such as tools and cutlery, have long since disappeared sold out to cheap imports.

Our Government could have stopped this rot by stipulating the tender of only British companies for major contracts of which the taxpayer has contributed,

but has sold us 'down the river' This would have catalysed growth and helped a return to manufacturing strength, which this country needs to pay its bills.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

We're still producing steel (Forgemasters) though when the yanks bought us out years ago, the just took all the profits and left us to die a death with no investment in plant or anything!!

I think we're doing OK considering that most other countries get government subsidies and we don't!!

Pics

Again

another

One more

Last one!

Biggsy :)

Well , didnt realise even Sheffield Forgemasters sold out to the Americans. The photos remind me of when the company was E.S.C. in the 1960's , and I visited the melting shop and witnessed the loading of scrap steel with the Chargers.

I also thought maybe Tinsley Wire Industries , maybe still British owned but alas this company gone to the wall 2002.

My forging experience was Firth Derihon , Tinsley, involved with forging Rotor Blades, particularily in titanium ,although not at the level of Forgemasters, this company long gone and remaining factory of Darley Dale, now Firth Rixson owned by Oak Hill Capital Partners, New York City.

Is there any wholly owned British steel manufacture in Sheffield any more ?

Gary Marshman

North Wales

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 19:50 ----------

Further to Sheffield Forgemasters , who requested a Government loan for upgrade of forging facility to be able to produce equipment for the new generation of Nuclear Power Stations and this application for £80 million was refused, a short sighted decision by this naive Governement Cabinet.

This country can give away hundreds of millions of pounds to foreign aid , conveniently 'Ring Fenced' to country's who can finance space programmes and buy submarines from China with our Money.

Other wastages of our Taxpayers money are donated to the bottomless pit of the EU for no returns.

Shameful decisions by a Government not supporting the population they were elected to represent.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

They will have to open some food banks

Then the bankers will eat all the assets

My father was Hot and Cold Rolling Mill Manager at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills from 1947-1972. In the 50's the Steckel Mill was installed which sounds foreign and also in the 50's Japanese visitors were frequently entertained. They could have been seeing how it was done but what they were actively doing is trying to sell us the large rolls that rolled the steel into strips. Soon after that they were probably selling us the finished product either in coils or as a Datsun.

I work at a good old fashioned forge, still going strong thanks. Skilled men and a good atmosphere to work in.

Thats the biggest crap ever spoken.

I've never worked since in such an industry ruled by nepotism, unions, demarkation and outright bone idleness.

Never worked in steel sadly but think you're well wide calling them bone idle, as for nepotism go to the civil service it's rife. The unions did as much good as bad and as for demarcation perhaps if it still existed, our workers wouldn't be treat with such contempt.

MT did a lot of damage but, also cheap imports killed us as a country.

I'm a courier driver and you would be amazed at the amount of different and diverse company's there are in Sheffield,all the steel works and engineering firms all seem to be pulled out with work,there is a lot of fiance and government supply company's around the the city, compared to some other city's Sheffield does seem to be doing really well..as for the steel works they have not gone under they have streamed lined modernized and got a better and more productive with a lot less people working there.

Why did the steel work go under I get coal runs out but steel works you dont really need to mine steel right? Iv never gotten really why maybe because it is all before my time...I just see now that the north and Sheffield really doesn't produce anything new...[/QUOT. E]THATCHER!!!!

Never worked in steel sadly but think you're well wide calling them bone idle, as for nepotism go to the civil service it's rife. The unions did as much good as bad and as for demarcation perhaps if it still existed, our workers wouldn't be treat with such contempt.

I worked in most of the major steel mills in the 50's. As a contracted journeyman electrician. Steel Peaches, Hadfields, Sammy Fox's. Firth Vickers, etc. Seems my company (F.H. Wheelers (Sheffield) Ltd) had some sort of monopoly on re-fitting.

The union workers got a bad rap. In those days they were all very hard working, and proud of their hard work.

But towards the end of the 50's there was a huge political battle going on between the union leaders, owners and politicians, who wanted a bigger say in how things should be done.

Rotating strikes hit many of the mills, but when the word came down from the union leaders to go home, it was bad news. Nobody enjoyed the idleness, the endless wait for a settlement, and the sheer waste of productivity that would take weeks (and sometimes never) to get the production back up.

Sheffield steel workers were the salt of the earth, but their leaders, unfortunately, had political goals, production be damned.

Edited by trastrick

I'm sure you're correct in some cases.

But as a young school leaver i watched day in and day out 4 men stand idly by whilst they waited for

a slinger then a crane driver then a labourer to sweep the floors then a second slinger to unhook the moulds.

if it took 20 minutes or 2 hours they sat on their hands until it was done.

Then they had to wait for that job to be done for the same guys to come back to set up the next job of the day.

There was nothing wrong with the guys they were all great people just "working to union rule".

These days most people can drive a forklift and anyone can pick up a brush.

The steel works in question and still exists as a profitable entity on automated production, all the labourers, moulders, patternmakers and union men are gone.

I'm sure you're correct in some cases.

But as a young school leaver i watched day in and day out 4 men stand idly by whilst they waited for

a slinger then a crane driver then a labourer to sweep the floors then a second slinger to unhook the moulds.

if it took 20 minutes or 2 hours they sat on their hands until it was done.

Then they had to wait for that job to be done for the same guys to come back to set up the next job of the day.

There was nothing wrong with the guys they were all great people just "working to union rule".

These days most people can drive a forklift and anyone can pick up a brush.

The steel works in question and still exists as a profitable entity on automated production, all the labourers, moulders, patternmakers and union men are gone.

How times change,you would be lucky to find 4 men in a melting team these days!!.