Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?

Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?

• No way! Keep them separate
    • Yes merge - it's Sheffield's only chance
    • Who cares - it's only football!
    • It would be impossible to merge them

The trouble with this thread is that it's about football. When you talk about this great game, unfortunately common sense goes out of the door. Clubs are spending, or trying to spend, too much money to keep ahead, and in most cases they achieve nothing from that unless they are in the really top flight.

Boards are made up, or seem to be, of two groups - the first know about the game and nothing about business, and the second know all about business and nothing about the game.

In this circumstance, no policy can be followed which will give the Club what its supporters want (supporters as opposed to club members), and that is success on the field. Club boards only want profit, and obviously cannot see that the only way to get this is to attract the greatest number of spectators to matches, be they members or not.

For the benefit of the GAME I feel that the two should merge, but the new Club/Company would still need to follow the right policy for the future to look any brighter.

And don't try to tell me that United are set, because they are not. It gets harder, you know, not easier.

Would also make my Blue and White heart bleed.

:cry: :cry:

I've never heard so much drivel in my life.

You lot trying to talk about football is akin to Celine Dion rapping.

If you don't know what you are talking about... don't say anything!

To the person who is sure it WILL happen...

Give me one reason why Sheffield United would be better off after merging with Sheffield Wednesday.

Originally posted by rarstar

To the person who is sure it WILL happen...

Give me one reason why Sheffield United would be better off after merging with Sheffield Wednesday.

Well, one easy one is that they wouldn't have the misfortune to be called Sheffield United.8)

Guest carlsufc

ive lost count of the amount of times ive had this discussion wiv my mates! to be honest, id hate to see the two clubs merge BUT it wud be the only way we wud see a club that could stay in the premiership. fair enuf, bein a big sheff utd fan, i can say utd are good enuf to gain promotion to the premiership, but are they strong enuf to stay there? only time will tell and maybe a merge wud solve the problem, but as i said, i would personally hate it!

how can merging a good first division side, with a poor second division side make a premiership 'super side'?

to all those who think a merger would create a successful side...

tell me why.

it's no good saying a merger may be good for both sides, tell me why.

Guest carlsufc

correct me if im wrong but no one mentioned a 'super side' wat i said was a side that could stay in the premiership! utd have a quality side and combined with a select few sheffield wednesday players, the city could have a team that could STAY IN the premiership

8) Nah Den Ace.........

Children! Look at us.......bickering......squabbling........we never used to be like this.......

Yeah, okay we did!

The Proposal: Merge Owls and Blades, call 'em Sheffield City FC, nickname The Little Mesters, play at a 50,000 capacity with regular gates of 40,000 at a revamped Don Valley Stadium, play in red and blue stripes, hey presto! We're big hitters in the Premier League!

The Reality: Sheffield has two professional football teams and I do not believe the fans would ever allow a merger to happen.

Wednesdayites can proudly boast that they are the original professional football club in the city (by being the oldest), that they have the biggest stadium and better facilities, that they have the biggest fan base (24k in Div 2 is really quite good!), that over the years they have had the most success (League cup in 91, Cup finals in 66 and 93, and generally finishing higher than United.)

Unitedites can boast that they play in the city centre and that therefore....ergo.....sum.......they are the true football club of the city. They can also boast that they are currently playing in a higher division than the Owls (as they last did in the 70s).

The Conclusion: Wednesday and United will, allowing for a few relative successes and failures, both continue to be second tier teams, with Wednesday just edging it over their red and white counterparts. The fans shall continue to slag each other off, call each other pigs and say that they have the most/hardest/loyal fans, etc.........

..........But that is just the way we like it. Long live the status quo!

============================================

By the way:

1. Somebody suggested earlier that Sheffield FC were the oldest professional football team - they are the oldest football team in the world; however, I believe they are quite proud of their amateur status!

2. I know there has always been an argument about who is the 4th/5th largest city.....us or Leeds. I believe it depends on whether you look at population or area. Does anyone know of an accurate source of information for such data?

3. Wednesday's ground is in the Owlerton area of the city. However, Owlerton is pronounced Owl as "bOWL", not "hOWL". So did Wednesday take their nickname from the area they moved to?

==============================================

Sweet baby Jesus! This is all getting a bit too much for me, I'm just gonna lie down for a bit!

Whether you're an Owl or a Blade...............

Keep the faith.............

Spacehopper.

in order to stay in the premier, you have to get there first!!!

merging with wednesday would in no way improve united. fact.

no matter how good they were in the past, NO current wednesday player would get a game at bramall lane.

apparently, according to the last census and based on population it goes:

1. London.

2. Birmingham.

3. Leeds.

4. Sheffield.

5. Manchester.

people generally think manchester is 3rd, but although greater manchester is massive, the actual city of manchester isn't that big.

Originally posted by rarstar

in order to stay in the premier, you have to get there first!!!

merging with wednesday would in no way improve united. fact.

no matter how good they were in the past, NO current wednesday player would get a game at bramall lane.

Whew. That should make them all sleep better!

Guest carlsufc

sheffield is the FOURTH biggest city in england

1.London

2.Manchester

3.Birmingham

4.Sheffield

notice the other 3 have teams in the premiership...shame really :blush:

Originally posted by Spacehopper

Wednesday and United will, allowing for a few relative successes and failures, both continue to be second tier teams

Presently Utd & Wednesday are outside the top flight but when you look at their respective histories it becomes clear they are NOT second tier clubs.

In terms of support both are over time amongst the top twenty supported clubs in England. The two Sheffield clubs are also two of only eighteen clubs to have attracted attendances of over 60000 to home football matches. Both also feature in the top twenty of clubs ranked by honours won and both feature in the top twenty all time league table.

Wednesday's ground is in the Owlerton area of the city. However, Owlerton is pronounced Owl as "bOWL", not "hOWL". So did Wednesday take their nickname from the area they moved to?

Wednesday do indeed take their name from the district of Owlerton (pronouced Ole-er-ton not Owl-er-ton) in which they play. In the early 1900's a journalist unfamiliar with the vagaries of Sheffield dialect drew a cartoon representing Wednesday as Owls. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Incidentally, prior to Wednesday moving to Owlerton the districts major claim to fame was as the site of a porcine slaughterhouse. The location chosen because the prevailing north-westerly winds carried the stench of slaughter away from Sheffield's main centres of population to the South. Hence Wednesday being labelled 'Pigs' by United fans.